druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Id love a link to a watchable copy of TFA please...

In reality leaks of watchable copys of any movie during the cinema release is pretty rare. This time of year is the worse for it and this year is one of the worst ever, but there is still no TFA leak.

Back then if you had mild interest, the only way to see it was in theatres. While most people are seeing it in theatres now, there is the option to wait a few months to watch it at home if you're not that keen.

If you start looking at population, you also need to start looking at the purchasing power of that population. There is a higher percentage of people who are on minimum wage now then in the past, which reduces for pool size of people who have disposable incomes. Also there is a significantly aging population which would also impact on tickets per person.

You can't just take one factor like population and then ignore the rest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

You tell me, but the fact still remains..

From an economics point of view its terrible, to not even quite maintain sales over the course of 20 years is very bad performance. Take Nokia for example, they maintained sales OK, but drastically lost market share. Look what happened to them.

Guys, according to this logic SW is going to cause Disney to go bankrupt because it is only maintaining sales.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, townzy89 said:

Lol. You have no idea

How so? Isnt 100M tickets with a pop of 320M far worse than 100M with a pop of 270M?

I realise its more complicated than that, but it seems to me people on here are happy to accept the reason for the drop, but slow to accept the counter factors.

5 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I've been watching box office returns since 1975 and it's what I think. So shoot me. :)

But your statement doesn't make any sense seeing the current numbers. It's done $550 million in 10 days, but you don't think it will get $210 million more? Even if the next 7 days are half of the last 7 it's still gonna be at $720 million in 17 days. 

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

You tell me, but the fact still remains..

From an economics point of view its terrible, to not even quite maintain sales over the course of 20 years is very bad performance. Take Nokia for example, they maintained sales OK, but drastically lost market share. Look what happened to them.

From an economics stand point the first thing we'd do is recognize how drastically different the environment is, which means there's no room for an apples to apples comparison.  The entire industry has seen an admissions decline in recent decades, so this isn't some isolated Star Wars problem.

From what I'm seeing in your contention with others, you don't seem to be agreeing with or grasping this point, so therein lies the problem.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, townzy89 said:

Guys, according to this logic SW is going to cause Disney to go bankrupt because it is only maintaining sales.

Actually what it means is that movie studios are no longer the media power they once were. Apple and Google are now more powerful. Its even more true of the record industry, whos sales are also lower.

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

Actually what it means is that movie studios are no longer the media power they once were. Apple and Google are now more powerful. Its even more true of the record industry, whos sales are also lower.

That's a much more agreeable notion.  With the exception of Frozen, we can say the same thing of HV sales, they're nowhere near what they were in the early 00s, forget the VHS era.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TriggerMike said:

Whats your breakdown over the next two weeks of TFA? FWIW. 

$110m added by the end of next Sunday .... $665m

$55m added through the following weekend ... $720m

$30m added the next week ......................... $750m

OK, I'm now convinced, it will pass Avatar. :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spizzer said:

From an economics stand point the first thing we'd do is recognize how drastically different the environment is, which means there's no room for an apples to apples comparison.  The entire industry has seen an admissions decline in recent decades, so this isn't some isolated Star Wars problem.

From what I'm seeing in your contention with others, you don't seem to be agreeing with or grasping this point, so therein lies the problem.  

Its the 'why' that I don't agree with, not the fact that sales have declined.

FWIW I never said TFA wasnt impressive, it is immensely, but its not the total gross that impresses so much, its the speed its attained it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spizzer said:

That's a much more agreeable notion.  With the exception of Frozen, we can say the same thing of HV sales, they're nowhere near what they were in the early 00s, forget the VHS era.

Im think i just haven't stated my reasoning for the reduction in sales. Its not piracy on any level whatsoever, competition is only part of it, the main part is lack of quality.

25 minutes ago, TriggerMike said:

You do realize there was no other way to see movies in the 70's and 80's besides actually going to the theater? right? Completely different in 2015 with this awesome new invention called the internet :wiggle: People can watch a movie sitting at home now before he movie is even on blu ray or dvd. 

Thank you.

I mean this is box office 101

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

See this is correct.

But based on how well films are doing in general, Star Wars is actually doing better considering it's film environment than films in the past. 

With a smaller market now, it's even more impressive it's reaching the ticket sales of the 1970/80's.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

$110m added by the end of next Sunday .... $665m

$55m added through the following weekend ... $720m

$30m added the next week ......................... $750m

OK, I'm now convinced, it will pass Avatar. :)

$110 million by the end of next Sunday??? How is that even possible? It did almost $300 million in the last 7 days! It's not going to drop 65% lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Its the 'why' that I don't agree with, not the fact that sales have declined.

FWIW I never said TFA wasnt impressive, it is immensely, but its not the total gross that impresses so much, its the speed its attained it.

Agreed. I know I remember following several movies' theatrical runs and the few that did hit $500 million, it seems like it took forever for them to get there. 

BTW, this is my first post. I have enjoyed visiting the forums, and following the box office here for quite a while. Finally I decided to join.

• Like 11

Just got out of Sisters.  I'm a HUGE Fey/Poehler fan, and really like Paula Pell's writing.  Overall, it's good not great.  It has its moments where it's really firing on all cylinders but other parts feel a bit played out.  It's also got to the be the longest party scene a film has ever had, ha.  A lot of great supporting characters and cameos that sometimes feel underused.

Solid B+.  I do think it's much stronger than Baby Mama if that means anything to you.

Truth be told, I could only think about seeing Star Wars a third time as we left.

• Like 5