druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

7 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Well some theaters actually close on Christmas Day in some countries.

Oh really, I guess that explains why I've seen lots of overseas folks talk about seeing movies on Boxing Day.

So I guess I'll lower the WW range for Sunday estimates to $1.05B then. Maybe close to $1.1B if we're lucky.

14 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Well some theaters actually close on Christmas Day in some countries.

Over here. 

Many theatres are closed Christmas Day and the ones that do open don't open until 3pm. 

TFA average AUD3.75m Monday to Wednesday and was about AUD2.5m on Christmas Eve, AUD1.5m on Christmas Day and will jump to about AUD5-6m on Boxing Day. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 3

Yup Let's talk NUMBERS (INDIA)
STAR WARS :TFA did Thu previews 1 cr, Fri 3.58 cr. Total: 4.58 cr ($0.7M) [English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu]. India biz.

For comparison On OPENING DAY, JW did 4.75Cr ($0.72M),Age of ultron 11Cr($1.6M),FF7 12 cr($1.82M)

Numbers will increase over the Weekend because of the Buzz and STRONG WORD OF MOUTH.

Edited by Ash Skywalker
  • Like 8

A little too low for me, but still pretty impressive. After burning off so much demand, the film's still crushing records. This number is a full $13M higher than the previous Non-Friday Record Holder, Transformers: ROTF. And if the weekend hits $155M, it will be nearly $50M above the previous record holder for Highest 2nd Weekend Gross. 

Ok, I know I'm just repeating what we all already know, but considering that so many people have been disappointed by these numbers, I thought some perspective was important. These numbers are mindblowing; the only thing that can make this run look bad isn't another blockbuster, but our wildest expectations. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Umm, it's probably not beating TDK on its 2nd weekend.

It's be pretty close. TDK is at just over $534 million. TFA is at $391 million. It only needs $143 million this weekend to top it and after a $50 million Friday it's certainly on pace to get that and more!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dark Jedi Master 007 said:

A little too low for me, but still pretty impressive. After burning off so much demand, the film's still crushing records. This number is a full $13M higher than the previous Non-Friday Record Holder, Transformers: ROTF. And if the weekend hits $155M, it will be nearly $50M above the previous record holder for Highest 2nd Weekend Gross. 

Ok, I know I'm just repeating what we all already know, but considering that so many people have been disappointed by these numbers, I thought some perspective was important. These numbers are mindblowing; the only thing that can make this run look bad isn't another blockbuster, but our wildest expectations. 

You don't get it, man.

This might only beat Avatar by 200 m.

What a nightmare.

• Like 9

Add me to the list of forum members who have been drinking. But lightly. A few glasses of wine hours ago, wore off, now switched to Oregon's award-winning Breakside IPA. Living in the beer capitol of the world has its benefits. Great X-Mas, I got a DVX200 camera (for corporate work, I use a RED Scarlet for narrative), new tripod, some Star Wars random stuff from the sister (like salt and pepper shaker, seriously, Death Star spatula, Darth Vader toaster... she's so funny), and some awesome gifts from my girlfriend. 

But honestly -- this is SO dorky -- I was thinking about Star Wars the entire time. Jeez, I got it bad. Those early articles ruined the first half of my dinner and I was checking my iPhone at dinner (got yelled at by the girl once) when Rth was like, "No... not 35-40." That makes no sense by the way and I didn't believe that and don't believe that. It's ridiculous. So you mean to tell me X-Mas day is significantly worse than Monday through Wednesday? Despite incredible pre-sales for that day? That truly makes no sense.

I said going into the day $50M or better is great, anything under is kind of... meh. Not in general! Just for this movie, based on the weekly performance. But $50M is a fantastic number. I can totally live with $49M too, but just saying $40M even would blow pretty badly compared to the mid-week totals, like flat from Monday. Bizarre. 

If we're on course for a $155M weekend or better, which I truly think we are (isn't X-Mas often the lowest of the three days?), then it's an incredible figure. Sure, some people got greedy and wanted $180M -- I don't blame them -- but if the film hits $150-160M that's a second weekend record that could stand for a VERY long time. 

Why is the main reason opening weekends have increased so much in the past 20 years? Is it inflation? WRONG, it is not inflation. It's 3D, it's premium formats, and it's industry front-loading. Inflation plays some roll, yes, but when The Phantom Menace opened to a 2nd-best $64M OW ticket prices were still 60% of what they are today, yet TFA quadrupled its OW. There are more theaters, there are more premium options, and movies last far, far fewer weeks in theaters than ever before. What that tells me is if the trend of front-loading continues and one day we have a $300M OW, which will inevitably happen I'm sure, movies are just going to fall even harder than ever before. A 60% hold will be considered very normal or even good for a movie opening at that ridiculous level, and many movies will fall a Deathly Hallows-like 70%. Even with an OW as massive as $300M, if the film falls over 50% it cannot take TFA's record. Thus, why I think that record may be one of the toughest to beat in the future. 

I'm pleased with the ending of X-Mas and with the 49-51 range. Sounds good to me, sign me up!

• Like 10