baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

TFA is operating at phenomenally high levels that some are somewhat disappointed with a $149M second weekend and a $29M second Tuesday. ;)

Having followed box office for almost 4 decades, I feel this is close to being the most impressive run ever given the general front loading in the current scenario.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jb007 said:

TFA is operating at phenomenally high levels that some are somewhat disappointed with a $149M second weekend and a $29M second Tuesday. ;)

Having followed box office for almost 4 decades, I feel this is close to being the most impressive run ever given the general front loading in the current scenario.

It's got a long way to go before it's more impressive than Titanic.

9 minutes ago, jb007 said:

No doubt, the box office is very impressive. And nobody would be disappointed if it finishes it's run with 900M. But if it finishes with 980M, I would definitely be a bit disappointed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fake said:

No doubt, the box office is very impressive. And nobody would be disappointed if it finishes it's run with 900M. But if it finishes with 980M, I would definitely be a bit disappointed.

+1

The fact that $1B is a possibility itself is beyond any superlative we can think of.

• Like 2

Until this movies daily numbers drop below Avatar I still think $1 billion is firmly in its sight. Avatar finished its first run at basically $750 million. A 33% increase from that is $1 billion. Through 19 days, Avatar (+33%) is $333 million. TFA is at $600 million and is still pulling $10 million a day over Avatar at the same time. 

Obviously it's % drops are heavier, that's a given. If this does miss a billion it's going to have to dive pretty hard after it's 3rd weekend. Let's assume today is what @Rth says. I'll be conservative and call tomorrow $27 million and Thursday $20 million. Lets say the weekend will bring another $90 million. We're at $737 million after 17 days. The buffer between TFA and Avatar (+33%) would stand at $269 million. 

Now, after this the holidays are over. Let's say it does 40% of this weeks daily totals next week. That's another $42 million. Then the weekend will drop 30% from the previous weekend. That's still a $105 million week. Now we're at essentially $842 million through 24 days (conservatively). The next week lets say it drops another 30% from that weeks dailies. That gives us another $73 million. So through 31 days we would be at $915 million (conservatively!!). 

After its 31st day, Avatar did $256 million more. Do people really believe TFA can't come up with $85 million more after it's 31st day?

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 9

14 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

It's got a long way to go before it's more impressive than Titanic.

Titanic is the most impressive uber-blockbuster of the last 25 years, but for the life of me I think MBFGW is probably the most impressive. It makes no sense and yet it sold more tickets than 50% of the HG, any X-Men film, Guardians of the Galaxy, and 3 of the Potter films. Mindboggling.

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Until this movies daily numbers drop below Avatar I still think $1 billion is firmly in its sight. Avatar finished its first run at basically $750 million. A 33% increase from that is $1 billion. Through 19 days, Avatar (+33%) is $333 million. TFA is at $600 million and is still pulling $10 million a day over Avatar at the same time. 

Obviously it's % drops are heavier, that's a given. If this does miss a billion it's going to have to dive pretty hard after it's 3rd weekend. Let's assume today is what @Rth says. I'll be conservative and call tomorrow $27 million and Thursday $20 million. Lets say the weekend will bring another $90 million. We're at $737 million after 17 days. The buffer between TFA and Avatar (+33%) would stand at $269 million. 

Now, after this the holidays are over. Let's say it does 40% of this weeks daily totals next week. That's another $42 million. Then the weekend will drop 30% from the previous weekend. That's still a $105 million week. Now we're at essentially $842 million through 24 days (conservatively). The next week lets say it drops another 30% from that weeks dailies. That gives us another $73 million. So through 31 days we would be at $915 million (conservatively!!). 

After its 31st day, Avatar did $256 million more. Do people really believe TFA can't come up with $85 million more after it's 31st day?

DAMN BRO!

Those math skills!

I am impressed! You deserves lauds and accolades! :)

That said, your summary is pretty cogent too! It actually makes it seem like 1 billion domestic is attainable!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

That's assuming 30% drops for Force Awakens, possible, but not guaranteed or conservative. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

That's assuming 30% drops for Force Awakens, possible, but not guaranteed or conservative. 

Definitely not conservative as those aren't far from Avatar-like drops (avatar was 15-25% drop week-to-week, mainly)

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1