#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

3 hours ago, nickitaly said:

TFA run over? What???

Another 200-250 mln on the table...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

It's made most of its money. Close enough. 

Sure, but we'll start talkin' about other when will be another notable movie. I think until march TFA will continue to be "The movie".

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RogueLeader said:

You know if this movie gets some big Oscar nomination it would REALLY help its box office going forward.

With that kind of blockbuster already = not really

Oscar noms. help movies, that usually get missed in the long list of releases per year, too much buzz / loud around them about other movies. The noms help people interested in movies typically considered Osacr nom., but are not deep enough interested to follow all year long the festivals,....

SW has all the awareness at people willing to go to a cinema already, no matter if interested in it or not. The ammount of people at first not willing to see it and than give it a try via an oscar nom. isn't that big in such an extreme blockbuster situation.

10 minutes ago, Magic said:

not typical BOT/ BO discussing wording, and with millions over millions still to expect = as such not close enough

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

WTF does Cameron being Canadian have to do with him not sending out something to SW when it passes Avatar?  Like that makes no sense.  And why would he hate Hollywood?  He works in it, has made billions from it.  So why would you assume he hates it?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

WTF does Cameron being Canadian have to do with him not sending out something to SW when it passes Avatar?  Like that makes no sense.  And why would he hate Hollywood?  He works in it, has made billions from it.  So why would you assume he hates it?

well you know you darn Canucks gave us Bieber so I guess it's guilt by association :P

• Like 1

Well, we've already apologized for Bryan Adams and Nickelback (two of my all time favourite musical acts btw), so I guess we'll apologize for Bieber too.  But then we'll have to take back Shania Twain, The Weekend, Drake adn Leonard Cohen.  And maybe Celine as well....but i think ou'd be fine with that lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magic said:

Being true, it is curious to say that a film has done nearly all the business when its last weekend can be over $90m... Last year just 7 films opened so high, SW7 included. And the 8th one was American Sniper which gave us a lot of fun. Everything is enormous around SW.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

Well, we've already apologized for Bryan Adams and Nickelback (two of my all time favourite musical acts btw), so I guess we'll apologize for Bieber too.  But then we'll have to take back Shania Twain, The Weekend, Drake adn Leonard Cohen.  And maybe Celine as well....but i think ou'd be fine with that lol.

:rofl:

well to me, almost all is forgiven due to giving us hockey ;) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

It's the logic of the Avater-fanatic-newbe-something-Jim-something.

2 of those newbes managed it to get me annoyed, must be special people.

• Like 1

Joy is the UK's highest new entry with non-final £1.51m opening, including previews -

UK top five: Star Wars (£10.2m); Daddy's Home (£2.89m); Joy (£1.51m); Danish Girl (£1.37m); Peanuts (£1.29m) -

And again:

OS = Italy has a new extreme, sensational,.... new OW record, by a local movie. Similar spikes like SW 7 had in the US over the 2nd placed... Interesting (to me at least) to follow

Italy Box Office: Local Hit ‘Quo Vado?’ Sets Opening Records

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TriggerMike said:

Considering if I want to go see star wars for the 6th time today... :sherlock:

Yeah I am debating about it seeing it a 6th time as well.  I do have a free ticket and need to use it at some point.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DarthOpeningGross said:

I have to shake my head at all the people proposing that Disney move Ep. VIII to December 2017.   First, Avatar 2 is likely already there.   Second, since when did December surpass summer as the best time to release a blockbuster?  When you look at the top 10 all-time domestic films (unadjusted), there are 3 out of 10 of the Top 10 films released in December -- and two of these three were outlier films done by the same director.   When you look at the top 50 all-time domestic films (unadjusted), 6 out of the 50 all-time top films were December releases.  That's not exactly a trend toward suggesting that December is a great month for blockbuster releases (understanding that there is a base rate problem because most studios don't release the same proportional number of blockbusters in December).  To the contrary, the data points toward summer remaining the best time to release a film like Star Wars, and the three December monsters (Titanic, Avatar and TFA) are anomalies -- their success speaks more to the quality of the films, as they would have been smashes at any time, rather than the December release date.

Simply put, the advantage of a 2.5 week concentrated period of attendance (Dec. 18 - Jan. 3) doesn't offset an entire summer period of kids with no school, particularly for a film that draws on school-age kids, like Star Wars.  Nor is the competition necessarily that fierce in summertime.  For instance, look at the releases around Ep. VIII.   You have Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 3, and it will have burned off 3 weeks of demand before Ep. VIII arrives on May 26.  You have Terminator 59 (or whatever number it is) the week before, but that series is just about dead in the US, so limited competition in its second week for Ep. VII.  You have nothing of consequence release on May 26 nor on the June 2 week thereafter.  So, Ep. VIII will have about a two-week run nearly free of any significant competition.   Then on June 9 you have Divergent (minor competition) and World War Z 2 (that might get a moderate opening weekend, so you can't say it's competition free, but not a massive competitor for Ep. VIII).  Then June 16, Cars 3 (not a huge title, but still Pixar) and Kingsman 2 (again, those are moderate competitors - neither expected to be a blockbuster competitor), June 23 Wonder Woman.  June 30 is Despicable Me 3 and Uncharted --  DM3 will be real competition. 

So, despite being a summer release, Ep. VIII will have a 2-week fairly unimpeded run, a third week with some moderate competition, and essentially won't be running into major competition until about 30 days into its run.  Thereafter, it benefits from unlimited schools' out days throughout June and July.

If I were Disney's distribution chief (and I should be!), I would not change to Dec. 2017 -- I think Ep. VIII has as good, if not better, chances of making money in summer vs. December. 

Good post. Also, December 2015, like 2009, had the benefit of three lucrative weekends. Having Christmas and New Years fall on Fridays is a gift that comes only once every several years. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Had a beautiful experience last night watching TFA in a mostly empty theater at midnight till 230. 6th time was amazing.

@75live and Baumer

I saw it six times as well. Considering a 7th time because, well, this is the 7th episode. :)

• Like 2