#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

1 minute ago, tokila said:

my rants are more directed at http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

than at people want to know total tickets sales.

yeah. that chart is far from perfect. I just don't believe GWTW made $189m in 1939. Reading the wiki article on the movie actually states that for the first 8ish months, only advance tickets were sold, and they were sold for over double a normal ticket's price, at $1. It also states there were many many releases in the following decades, much more than only the 3 that BOM has registered.

wiki link

I'm sure other movies on that list have their own inaccuracies.

45 minutes ago, Rth said:

Top Engagements 1/1-3/1

all TFA except Arclight
1-AMC Metreon  SanFran
2-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook Calgary
3-AMC Empire 25 NYC
4-AMC Lincoln Square NYC
5-Regal Irvine Spectrum
6-Pac Arclight Hollywood  (Revenent)
7-Regal Hacienda Crossing Dublin CA
8-AMC Tyson Corner, Mclean
9-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver
10-Regal Mira Mesa, San Diego
11-CS Warren 14, Moore OK
12-Regal Houston Stadium
13-CPLX Riverport Richmond BC
14-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto
15-CPLX Queensway ON

Look at Canada represent!!!  2nd place!  Wow, we love our SW here.

There's no way this drops to like 5 or 6 million, right? For some reason I see it being sort of likely.

Anyways, I'm simply not seeing this reach 1B if it drops more than 50% this weekeend. Here's how I see things for the next little bit:

27 - Weekdays

40 - Weekend

19 (MLK Monday)

Plus another 10 million or so thereafter plus the MLK bounce. Which puts the final cume at $963.

Just now, mikeymichael said:

There's no way this drops to like 5 or 6 million, right? For some reason I see it being sort of likely.

It's probably going to drop in the 60-70% range today. So around 7-8m, probably.

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Yep, and they should also add "Fastest to 550M, 600M, 650M" since there are now a few of them, include biggest week-ends (not openings), and include the records for most straight days at 10M, 20M, 30M.

I have posted charts for Fastest to $550 million and $600 million (before The-Numbers had updated for TFA)

For consecutive days $20+ million (not sure if complete for 4 days):

1)  Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 17

2)  Spiderman 2 - 6

T3) Despicable Me 2 - 5

T3) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - 5

T3) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 5

T3) Jurassic World - 5

T3) The Dark Knight - 5

T3) Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 5

T3) Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 5

T10) Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 4

T10) Shrek 2 - 4 

T10) Star Wars Ep. II: Attack of the Clones - 4

T10) Star Wars Ep. III: Revenge of the Sith - 4

T10) The Hangover Part II - 4

T10) The Matrix Reloaded - 4

T10) Twilight Saga: Eclipse - 4

For consecutive days $30+ million, this is currently quite a boring list as it simply consists of: 

1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 6

At least 20 other movies - 3

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Rth said:

Top Engagements 1/1-3/1

all TFA except Arclight
1-AMC Metreon  SanFran
2-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook Calgary
3-AMC Empire 25 NYC
4-AMC Lincoln Square NYC
5-Regal Irvine Spectrum
6-Pac Arclight Hollywood  (Revenent)
7-Regal Hacienda Crossing Dublin CA
8-AMC Tyson Corner, Mclean
9-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver
10-Regal Mira Mesa, San Diego
11-CS Warren 14, Moore OK
12-Regal Houston Stadium
13-CPLX Riverport Richmond BC
14-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto
15-CPLX Queensway ON

Sorry... Newb here.... 

Can someone explain what this list is? 

Thanks ?

23 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Yep, I am aware of the international and germaustrian threads....

...if it weren't for a specific Newbie constantly aggravating others with his JimboJambo, I would not have registered, because then there would have been no need to reach for the emergency button (aka ignore function)....

I was only asking as a few of the new ones (and nearly 3 years back me too) didn't realise for some time that this board has different areas...

In around 15 years of Internet he (?) is the first one who really annoyed me. Not even some of the IMDb trolls managed that (even if a few there seem to be a liiitle bit over the top too)

Hence my own (successful) search for the ignore button (hi 75...)

= back to the fun and - to me personally - enjoyment of pur BO datas! :wub:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e1828 said:

For consecutive days $30+ million, this is currently quite a boring list as it simply consists of: 

1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 6

At least 20 other movies - 3

damn you christmas eve

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Hmm, I actually have slightly different amounts, but I'm only tracking multipliers from 1/5 for each.

TTT Legs = 986m

ROTK Legs = 976m

FOTR Legs = 1191m

(TH1 Legs = 886m)

I started with TFA Sunday gross then used the daily increases/decreases for each movie.

I'm going with around a $970m total (and $1b if Disney gives it a late Oscar push), where do you think it will end up?

• Like 1

Don't know what percentage of kids are still on winter break, I just know all of MINE are. While I'm back at work they stay home and send me mocking texts... I should have dropped them off at a movie theater with nothing but TFA tickets!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

One thing I will say about H8 is that the marketing felt non-existent for me. It wasn't like Basterds or Django at all with the big almost blockbuster-eqsue marketing campaigns. The Revenant on the other hand has been pushed to high heaven by Fox. I still think WOM will be mixed to bad among the casual GA but the opening could surprise. 

The Revenant's marketing has been extremely murky though - they're mostly pushing it on DiCaprio and the award nominations it's gotten. Fox is trying to deflect all attention from the premise.

6 minutes ago, e1828 said:

I have posted charts for Fastest to $550 million and $600 million (before The-Numbers had updated for TFA)

For consecutive days $20+ million (not sure if complete for 4 days):

1)  Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 17

2)  Spiderman 2 - 6

Wow. I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by, that TFA beat the old record by 11 days, or that the record stood for over 11 years.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

I don't get all the squabbling over TFA and Avatar.  Both are huge.  That's wonderful for both of them and just for fans in general.  Though I'm personally more of a fan of Aliens/Terminator-era Cameron, I admire him for putting his money where his mouth is with Avatar and pushing technology and the movie experience forward.  We need more filmmakers willing to do that kind of thing.  Star Wars clearly still resonates with a lot of people.  Nostalgia is a factor, sure, but the best part to me was my 9 year old daughter in the car on the way home from our first viewing expressing surprise that the girl was the hero "because usually, its the boy."  There is a whole new generation that is getting excited about SW and a generation finding its way back.  That was a nearly insurmountable task, but JJ and Disney/Lucasfilm pulled it off.  We should be celebrating these achievements all around, not fighting over which amazing accomplishment is the most amazing-est thing to ever amaze.  'Course, it would'be the internet if everyone didn't find something to bicker over, I suppose.

Nah that sounds boring, let's fight.

6 minutes ago, jedieb said:

Don't know what percentage of kids are still on winter break, I just know all of MINE are. While I'm back at work they stay home and send me mocking texts... I should have dropped them off at a movie theater with nothing but TFA tickets!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulk of College out this week and a lot next, others this week small %(majority are out monday, return tues,wed)

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

I see. I mistook your comment by putting something in that isn't there obviously. Sometimes it's better to read the lines only instead of trying to read between them. Mea culpa.

Na, I was still a bit mouthy. Was also searching for news, communicating with 2 different people,... forum acted up... Me a bit sloppy / in hurry = maybe as not clear enough seemingly

No need for mea culpa, at least not with me...

20 minutes ago, rustyspoons89 said:

Sorry... Newb here.... 

Can someone explain what this list is? 

Thanks ?

top list of maximum business in the named time frame

Deadline does a piece about 'top earners of 2015' = thought it's about their salary, nope, it's about how much BO their movies made (actors/actresses). nothing special IMHO boring

http://deadline.com/gallery/top-international-stars-2015/#!1/20-matt-damon-369-1m/

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Consecutive Days $10+ million (not necessarily to begin box office run):

T1) Avatar - 17

T1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 17

T3) Jurassic World - 12

T3) Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 12 (benefited from July 4th on a Saturday, opened on a Wednesday)

5) The Dark Knight - 11

At least 7 other movies tied with 10 consecutive days of $10+ million 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rth said:

Bulk of College out this week and a lot next, others this week small %(majority are out monday, return tues,wed)

any sense of how the matinees looked today? That seems to me where most of the drops would come front this week compared to last.