#ED

Tuesday : TFA $7,967,428 #ED was Asleep at the Wheel(He's sicky-poo)

Just now, Telemachos said:

Baffling? It's the same general formula that worked for GWTW and TITANIC... sweeping love story set against the broad, epic backdrop of history. It's also a famous novel.

I mean, in the context of pre-1970s Hollywood, how many movies would you consider having a "lasting legacy", especially those aimed at adults?

Now, if we're talking LOVE STORY, I'm with ya.

I just literally don't know anyone near my age bracket that can tell you what it is. I feel like the vast majority of people today still know what those other 9 are and have seen most of them too. That's basically what I mean, not how could it have been a hit for its time. Just how could it be such a big hit and seem so forgotten among the GA today?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just literally don't know anyone near my age bracket that can tell you what it is. I feel like the vast majority of people today still know what those other 9 are and have seen most of them too. That's basically what I mean, not how could it have been a hit for its time. Just how could it be such a big hit and seem so forgotten among the GA today?

It makes sense that kids and twentysomethings aren't familiar with it. But then again, given their general lack of interest for anything before they were born (no offense intended), is it that surprising? Anyone who's got a vague interest in classic movies or novels would be familiar with at least the name. I mean, shit, it's an on-going punchline in TRUE ROMANCE.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would lean heavily towards flop. Those movies are successful because they target a Christian audience as something meaningful to their faith, not as the MCU for Christians. It's like if there had been a Passion 2. Flippity floop flop. 

Just you wait, the Christian Cinematic Universe is coming.

A big massive mash up of Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas, God's Not Dead, War Room, and Heaven is For Real is coming. 

In all seriousness though, I think the big Christian hit this year will be Miracles From Heaven.  It had over 100m Facebook views on one of the videos I saw.  It also opens right before Easter, I think it'll land just over 100m.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It makes sense that kids and twentysomethings aren't familiar with it. But then again, given their general lack of interest for anything before they were born (no offense intended), is it that surprising? Anyone who's got a vague interest in classic movies or novels would be familiar with at least the name. I mean, shit, it's an on-going punchline in TRUE ROMANCE.

Idk. I'm in my 20s and I have seen or know the general plotline of all top 15 movies on the adjusted list beside Zhivago. I've never heard of a single person in real life talk about it, whereas every other movie in the top 15 at least there's some chatter.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Here it is the other way around. Older ones might have seen GWTW on TV, but that it is based on an - even famous - book not a lot of ppl I know are even aware about beside the film fans that saw the documentaries (and maybe some females that read romance a lot?)

but I think all I know out of my generation and a decade younger know Doktor Schiwago (our spelling), at least the movie and the existence of the book or more

I'll have to ask my pupils who knows which ones at least from hearsay....

edit: I'm older than Tele, just in case

I took a look in our all-time admission chart, GWTW isn't in the top 100, but Schiwago is #4. The amounts of admissions for our #1 is, why I am curious about the up-coming version, btw

1 27.393.531* MGM 13.12.1968 Jungle Book Wolfgang Reitherman  
2 18.809.599 FOX 08.01.1998 Titanic James Cameron zoscarstatue_small.jpg  WA 3D
3 13.000.000 PAR 14.08.1969 C'era una volta il West Sergio Leone  
4 12.750.000* MGM 05.10.1966 Doktor Schiwago David Lean zoscarstatue_small.jpg
5 12.565.007 WB 22.11.2001 Harry Potter ....Stone Chris Columbus  
Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, spazz91 said:

Idk. I'm in my 20s and I have seen or know the general plotline of all top 15 movies on the adjusted list beside Zhivago. I've never heard of a single person in real life talk about it, whereas every other movie in the top 15 at least there's some chatter.

I'm in my 30s, and looking at even the top 50, the only two I have no familiarity with of any kind are Dr. Zhivago and The Robe.

Edit: Slightly more familiar with Zhivago, as I'd at least heard of it, but The Robe? Heard of it literally as I was making this post.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I can kind of buy that, but I also have to call foul on it a bit. Again, I think most of the top grossing adjusted movies still carry a certain reputation among people my age or younger, or at least awareness if they haven't necessarily seen them. Zhivago though I'd argue is just a big missing page in the cinematic archives to my gen and younger on the whole, and possibly even the gen before. Only talking in American terms of course, not other countries. 

• Like 1