#ED

Tuesday : TFA $7,967,428 #ED was Asleep at the Wheel(He's sicky-poo)

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The remake is the only way I heard about the original in the first place. Would probably still be completely unaware of it otherwise. 

I like Wolfgang Peterson but I knew the writing was on the wall when they didn't get Williams back to do the score. Any excuse to use him should be taken advantage of, IMO(even if he's not in his prime anymore).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

I think another forgotten blockbuster is The Poseidon Adventure(472m adj). I mean, they made a remake and hardly anyone noticed.

(Great movie, BTW and scored by none other than John Williams!)

Absolutely loved the original. Taut, scary, and genuinely moving. Winters and Hackman are fantastic.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
Just now, DarthArachnid!™ said:

I like Wolfgang Peterson but I knew the writing was on the wall when they didn't get Williams back to do the score. Any excuse to use him should be taken advantage of, IMO(even if he's not in his prime anymore).

I liked the remake. :unsure: Granted I haven't seen the original.

I decided to look at the adjusted top 50

These are the ones I haven't seen

The Sting

The Graduate

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Love Story

Cleopatra

Beverly Hills Cop

American Graffiti

The Robe

Around the World in 80 Days

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

If Zhivago is like GWTW I'll love it. If it's more like Titanic I'll probably like it, but eh not in any hurry to watch. 

I'd say it's more like Gone with the Wind than Titanic. At least from what I remember of it.

• Like 3

Actually, speaking of adjusted numbers, I just came across some discrepancies which show how difficult it is to entirely rely on BOM's adjusted list.

They have EXORCIST at #9 with $952m adjusted (with an initial unadjusted total of 193m and a final unadjusted total of 232m). And THE STING is down at #19, $767m adjusted. But they both came out the same year and, according to Wikipedia (using BOM and a recent book about horror films) THE STING finished #1 for the year, with $156m... THE EXORCIST was #2 with $128m during its initial box-office run. So without knowing who's correct, there's (at a minimum) a discrepancy between either a 128m or 193m run. (The additional problem is that BOM is adjusted off EXORCIST's final 232m figure, which almost certainly isn't right).

• Like 5

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I'd say it's more like Gone with the Wind than Titanic. At least from what I remember of it.

I don't remember it to well (either actually), but I think that's a correct comparison.

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

If you haven't seen The Graduate, I HATE YOU. Sorry, it's one of my favorite movies and I get emotional. 

I'll be sure and watch it just for you.  Is it on Netflix, HBOGo, Hulu, or Prime?

57 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just literally don't know anyone near my age bracket that can tell you what it is. I feel like the vast majority of people today still know what those other 9 are and have seen most of them too. That's basically what I mean, not how could it have been a hit for its time. Just how could it be such a big hit and seem so forgotten among the GA today?

I have had many 20 somethings say they have never heard of Cary Grant, spenser tracy, humphry bogart, laurel and hardy etc etc

when I was a kid in the 70's we had 6 channels on TV, 3 that played old movies. They were good and we watched them. No internet, cable or vcr.

I understand times have changed with so many options and rewatching favorites that the old stuff fades away. But for that time is was huge among the masses. SW stays relevant in part because of sequels and also merchandising. Also post Jaws/SW there is a more modern feel to movies. Godfather stays relevant because its timeless and its quoted all the time in shows like the sopranos. Most movies don't. I could give you a list of 20 that are great that you might not have heard of but you may not enjoy them. The plots develop slowly, little action and the shots are long and pan slowly. The exact opposite of the MTV edit, scene change every second or two with a shaky cam. That's why I cant watch these tentpoles, Im used to the old stuff, as your generation is used to the new and have no interest in the old.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I'll be sure and watch it just for you.  Is it on Netflix, HBOGo, Hulu, or Prime?

Excellent question! I'm not sure cause I've owned the same DVD copy for many years. I really do encourage you to check it out. 

• Like 1