#ED

Tuesday : TFA $7,967,428 #ED was Asleep at the Wheel(He's sicky-poo)

1 minute ago, No Prisoners said:

I have had many 20 somethings say they have never heard of Cary Grant, spenser tracy, humphry bogart, laurel and hardy etc etc

when I was a kid in the 70's we had 6 channels on TV, 3 that played old movies. They were good and we watched them. No internet, cable or vcr.

I understand times have changed with so many options and rewatching favorites that the old stuff fades away. But for that time is was huge among the masses. SW stays relevant in part because of sequels and also merchandising. Also post Jaws/SW there is a more modern feel to movies. Godfather stays relevant because its timeless and its quoted all the time in shows like the sopranos. Most movies don't. I could give you a list of 20 that are great that you might not have heard of but you may not enjoy them. The plots develop slowly, little action and the shots are long and pan slowly. The exact opposite of the MTV edit, scene change every second or two with a shaky cam. That's why I cant watch these tentpoles, Im used to the old stuff, as your generation is used to the new and have no interest in the old.

When I was a kid, one of my friend's dad was a big Marx brothers fan, so we watched all their movies (he had a VHS and a Beta machine; he'd rent the VHS version and dub himself a Beta copy). Loved them, those things don't go out of style.

• Like 3

Jaws has the same issue, the 1976 and (I think) 1979(?) re-release grosses are counted in that round $260m figure.

GWTW's issue isn't that it's $189m gross is fully adjusted based on 1939 prices - it's not, that would come out to over $7 billion - but that the 1939-82 portion of its gross is adjusted based on an estimate of exactly 200 million tickets sold over the various releases up to '82. Where did that number come from? I don't know.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If Zhivago is like GWTW I'll love it. If it's more like Titanic I'll probably like it, but eh not in any hurry to watch. 

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I'd say it's more like Gone with the Wind than Titanic. At least from what I remember of it.

Yeah, definitely more GWTW than TITANIC. It's the weight of adult love, not the burst of first-love passion.

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

If you haven't seen The Graduate, I HATE YOU. Sorry, it's one of my favorite movies and I get emotional. 

What if we've seen it but don't love it? :ph34r:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

If you haven't seen The Graduate, I HATE YOU. Sorry, it's one of my favorite movies and I get emotional. 

I watched it for the first time last week, I liked it but I really don't know how to feel about the second half. It definitely warrants a rewatch.

3 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

I have had many 20 somethings say they have never heard of Cary Grant, spenser tracy, humphry bogart, laurel and hardy etc etc

when I was a kid in the 70's we had 6 channels on TV, 3 that played old movies. They were good and we watched them. No internet, cable or vcr.

I understand times have changed with so many options and rewatching favorites that the old stuff fades away. But for that time is was huge among the masses. SW stays relevant in part because of sequels and also merchandising. Also post Jaws/SW there is a more modern feel to movies. Godfather stays relevant because its timeless and its quoted all the time in shows like the sopranos. Most movies don't. I could give you a list of 20 that are great that you might not have heard of but you may not enjoy them. The plots develop slowly, little action and the shots are long and pan slowly. The exact opposite of the MTV edit, scene change every second or two with a shaky cam. That's why I cant watch these tentpoles, Im used to the old stuff, as your generation is used to the new and have no interest in the old.

Some of my favorite movies are old 30's/40's rom-coms. Especially the Grant and Hepburn ones. Your post may describe some from my gen, but not me. :) And in all honesty, I feel like it more describes the teens of today, not the twenty somethings. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

Jaws has the same issue, the 1976 and (I think) 1979(?) re-release grosses are counted in that round $260m figure.

GWTW's issue isn't that it's $189m gross is fully adjusted based on 1939 prices - it's not, that would come out to over $7 billion - but that the 1939-82 portion of its gross is adjusted based on an estimate of exactly 200 million tickets. Where did that number come from? I don't know.

That is extracted by estimating attendance of its various re-releases, by dividing gross in each calendar year of release by estimated average ticket price in said year.

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Daily Domestic Chart for Tuesday January 5th, 2016

These figures at the top are looking so unearthly. I am glad to be able to experience such an unsual run for the third time. I don't think there will be a fourth. At least not in such a suprising manner and in my lifetime.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Some of my favorite movies are old 30's/40's rom-coms. Especially the Grant and Hepburn ones. Your post may describe some from my gen, but not me. :) And in all honesty, I feel like it more describes the teens of today, not the twenty somethings. 

I could be wrong but I think as people get older and you leave your teens, you tend to expand your taste more than when people tend to be in their teens. I mean this is mass generalizing but when you are in your teens, you care more about what's cool and what's the newest thing than when you get older.

• Like 3

Yeah, but the number is so exact, and we don't know what numbers they used to get that estimate.

Snow White's is even stranger, where did they get 77,471,100 tickets? It's the opposite of GWTW's, how did they come to such a precise number? Even then, we do not know the individual figures that went into that.

Aight, I know I'm drifting further off-topic, but I gotta pimp ZHIVAGO just a bit more, for those on the bubble. You've got one of the greatest visual directors ever, paired up with one of the great all-time cinematographers, working off a stellar (and Oscar-winning) script by the legendary Robert Bolt. Music by Maurice Jarre. You've got a great screen beauty, Julie Christie, you've got Omar Sharif, Ralph Richardson, Alec Guinness. You've got it all shot in epic 70mm -- and I mean epic, this is back when they'd get 10,000 extras for the crowd scenes.

3980494911_34c0270425.jpg

doctorzhivago2.jpg

DoctorZhivago4.jpg

doctor-zhivago_david-lean_21.jpg

doctor_zhivago_screenshot__lara_by_monsi

500full-doctor-zhivago-screenshot.jpg

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, #ED said:

Rich!

You miss Brooklyn yet?

With regards to the movie, I saw it last month at the Cobble Hill theatre, my very favorite theater in BK. With regards to the borough, I did move back to Jersey at the beginning of the month. I'm living at home and saving up for a BIG MOVE to Newport, Rhode Island on April 1st. I'm kinda done with NYC right now. After seven years, I need an extended break.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I could be wrong but I think as people get older and you leave your teens, you tend to expand your taste more than when people tend to be in their teens. I mean this is mass generalizing but when you are in your teens, you care more about what's cool and what's the newest thing than when you get older.

I remember one of my younger cousins, his favorite movie used to always be the latest action movie he saw.  In just May 2012 I asked him and first he said the Avengers, then he changed to Battleship, and then he changed to TASM.  

When it it comes to teens, they seem to love to rush to see a movie based on a book series, then read the books and complain that the book was better than the movie, and then proceed to go and see the movie again.  It's a strange phenomenon.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not commenting on how deserving they were, just that it's hard for me to imagine either being on the level of success TFA is. I just don't ever hear about them anymore, at least among my gen (I do know Exorcist was a big deal at the time though). Zhivago on the other hand, I would bet 95% of people from my gen would give a blank stare at just the name, let alone have seen it.

Btw, fun that The Ten Commandments and The Exorcist are top ten adjusted. But God wins again, nice try Satan. :P

Ive found it interesting how there is an array in the top ten. several decades and genres represented. Biblical, Musical, Horror, suspense, War, Scyfy, Family, Fantasy, Cartoon and Romance Drama.

Rom Com doesn't make it. The guy has to die or walk out not giving a damn to make the list. Maybe pretty woman had a chance if Richard Gere fell off the balcony,

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Yeah but have you seen Rumor Has It?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Aight, I know I'm drifting further off-topic, but I gotta pimp ZHIVAGO just a bit more, for those on the bubble. You've got one of the greatest visual directors ever, paired up with one of the great all-time cinematographers, working off a stellar (and Oscar-winning) script by the legendary Robert Bolt. Music by Maurice Jarre. You've got a great screen beauty, Julie Christie, you've got Omar Sharif, Ralph Richardson, Alec Guinness. You've got it all shot in epic 70mm -- and I mean epic, this is back when they'd get 10,000 extras for the crowd scenes.

Yeah.... but how many car chases does it have?

Spoiler

I haven't seen Zhivago or Gone with the wind... got the rest covered

• Like 3