#ED

Tuesday : TFA $7,967,428 #ED was Asleep at the Wheel(He's sicky-poo)

49 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The adjusted top 50 I haven't seen:

Gone With the Wind (I know)

Doctor Zhivago

Ben Hur

The Sting

Grease

Thunderball

Love Story

Cleopatra

Airport

American Graffiti

The Robe

Around the World in 80 Days

All great, fantastic movies, though I don't know if I could stand Love Story and Grease again in this day and age. And, to make myself finally look like a complete donkey, I loathe both, Gone with the Wind and Doctor Zhivago. I acknowledge that both are fantastic movies and BO kings, but I find them both boring as hell and myself fast asleep whenever my wife forces me to endure them. Cleopatra, The Robe and Ben Hur on the other side...

• Community Manager
19 minutes ago, spazz91 said:

Plus the background of the forum is snowing... the perfect setting.

It doesn't help that someone a couple pages back posted the Amazon link AND I'm currently building a cart there (realized I didn't even have Avatar yet... what a great bundle these two movies would be)

If you use the link I gave to add it to the cart, we get some of the money! So you would be supporting the forums!

Or you can use the amazon store link at the top!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

If you use the link I gave to add it to the cart, we get some of the money! So you would be supporting the forums!

Or you can use the amazon store link at the top!

If you add Amazon.de = Germany to it, I'd use it.

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Don't bother. I tried last year and it's terrible.

On the plus side, it's got David Niven out-Nivening himself. It's a cool story too, they should remake it (straight up, none of that Jackie Chan-remake shit). Of mild interest, it was sort of the AVATAR of its day. It was shot in Todd-AO 70mm, a huge and spectacular format, and they shot it in 13 countries, so it basically ends up as an epic travelogue with occasional dramatic scenes (and crudely ethnic stereotypes, to boot). Plus it has arguably the most cameos ever, so if you know some of the classic Hollywood stars, it's (almost) worth trying to see if you can catch their brief appearances.

Like AVATAR, it made a fortune. It even won Best Picture!

• Like 2

I meant I never fully watched Ghost Busters.

If you want to check out an old school epic, should check out Ben Hur as it contains the legendary Chariot scene, a milestone in film making. It has flaws however it is a bit  religious and the film is not that good after the Chariot Scene.

The visuals even today are pretty epic and the soundtrack could making someone taking a turd sound epic.

I am unsure but Ben Hur holds a record for 2.76! aspect ratio during the Chariot Scene. 

Chariot_Race_Ben-Hur.png

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

On the plus side, it's got David Niven out-Nivening himself. It's a cool story too, they should remake it (straight up, none of that Jackie Chan-remake shit). Of mild interest, it was sort of the AVATAR of its day. It was shot in Todd-AO 70mm, a huge and spectacular format, and they shot it in 13 countries, so it basically ends up as an epic travelogue with occasional dramatic scenes (and crudely ethnic stereotypes, to boot). Plus it has arguably the most cameos ever, so if you know some of the classic Hollywood stars, it's (almost) worth trying to see if you can catch their brief appearances.

Like AVATAR, it made a fortune. It even won Best Picture!

David Niven sure does out-Nivening himself. The 70mm was the big draw. It's too damn long and non-dramatic. I enjoyed it only (somewhat) as a cultural artifact.

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I am unsure but Ben Hur holds a record for 2.76! aspect ratio during the Chariot Scene.

Well, if you go see the 70mm roadshow version of HATEFUL EIGHT, you can see a modern movie in the same aspect ratio... shot with the same lenses as BEN-HUR as well. :P

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Well, if you go see the 70mm roadshow version of HATEFUL EIGHT, you can see a modern movie in the same aspect ratio... shot with the same lenses as BEN-HUR as well. :P

I am odd, I can watch Ben Hur or Once Upon a time in the West at home but sitting over  2.5 in a theater I hate it. 

I always enjoyed 80 days-as I watched it on VHS as a kid, it is a bit dated but good.

Most of these films we will never know what there original gross was. (I've read multiple reports that the first 100M film was either Jaws or Sound of Music, depending on who you ask it seems)