WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lmao.

I was reading a bit about Cloverfield's full story (the origins of the creature and the manga that was released in that year as well) and that shit is crazy. I would have liked to see more tbh. The monster in the movie is apparently just the baby version of that species. 

It was one of the more interesting movie monsters in quite some time. Too bad about the movie though...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'll never forget seeing the first Transformers on opening night and the entire crowd going nuts over the Cloverfield (when it was simply known as "1-18-08") trailer that was just the scene of the first monster attack with the Statue of Liberty head being thrown about.

One of the greatest teasers of all time. Maybe the greatest, after ID4s SB-Spot.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'll never forget seeing the first Transformers on opening night and the entire crowd going nuts over the Cloverfield (when it was simply known as "1-18-08") trailer that was just the scene of the first monster attack with the Statue of Liberty head being thrown about.

The marketing started that early? I didn't knew. Either way the opening doesn't seem that big considering the supposedly epic hype surrounding it. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Paranormal Activity franchise? Chronicle? Project X? :unsure:

I've never seen any of those but I'm guessing they don't call nearly as much attention to themselves with their camera work as Cloverfield, what with people recording everything while running away from monsters and stuff, does.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

fdd331.jpg

fdd331_contrast_mirror.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The marketing started that early? I didn't knew. Either way the opening doesn't seem that big considering the supposedly epic hype surrounding it. 

The first teaser i.e. the one that played with Transformers was filmed and released before they even began filming on the movie itself. That is what led to all kinds of speculation online.

It broked the January OW record upon release, that is as big an opening as possible for an unknown franchise with no stars filmed shaky found footage style.

Just now, grim22 said:

The first teaser i.e. the one that played with Transformers was filmed and released before they even began filming on the movie itself. That is what led to all kinds of speculation online.

Kinda like the Super 8 teaser, then. 

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Theaters had to post signs for Cloverfield I believe said something like the filming style could make them sick and was akin to a roller coaster ride. :lol:

Same thing happened with Blair Witch Project.

Yeah, Cloverfield is one of the best examples of mystery marketing paying off. No one, not even movie bloggers, were aware of the film's existence before that first trailer played before Transformers. That was before social media really became a thing so it would probably be difficult to pull off something like that now.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Yeah, Cloverfield is one of the best examples of mystery marketing paying off. No one, not even movie bloggers, were aware of the film's existence before that first trailer played before Transformers. That was before social media really became a thing so it would probably be difficult to pull off something like that now.

Ben Stiller seems to pull it off, Walter Mitty and Zoolander 2 both released their teaser trailers with little to no warning attached to different movies instead of an online release. Walter Mitty did it twice in fact. The Zoolander 2 teaser with Mission Impossible may be the best "stealth" teaser release since it didn't tip the audience off that it was the Zoolander sequel till over a minute into the teaser.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Ben Stiller seems to pull it off, Walter Mitty and Zoolander 2 both released their teaser trailers with little to no warning attached to different movies instead of an online release. Walter Mitty did it twice in fact. The Zoolander 2 teaser with Mission Impossible may be the best "stealth" teaser release since it didn't tip the audience off that it was the Zoolander sequel till over a minute into the teaser.

Those were movies that already had release dates well before their marketing began, so there was certainly awareness they were coming. With Cloverfield, the movie's first trailer (where it was just known as 1-18-08) was the moment it got the greenlight.

My dad's wanting me and my brother to go to the movies with him tomorrow. Can't decide between TFA (My 3rd Viewing), Revenant, or Hateful Eight. I got a $50 gift card from my local theater for Christmas and will eventually see them all so I told them they could decide. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

My dad's wanting me and my brother to go to the movies with him tomorrow. Can't decide between TFA (My 3rd Viewing), Revenant, or Hateful Eight. I got a $50 gift card from my local theater for Christmas and will eventually see them all so I told them they could decide. 

Well, Star Wars is sure to be the least polarizing (and the shortest) choice, so there's that.

• Like 2