WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

What you're talking about is almost completely due to the digital grading, though.

No, all those things are camera traits too, right?. Color does soooo much but it still captures a base image. EXP3 had barely any color grade I felt, it looked mostly like raw red. Ive watched countless chapman/USC short films shot on Red/Alexa and see what they look like with no color, money and a college team. 

I'm not sure exactly how to express it, but no matter how much post work is done I've trained my eye to usually be able tell between Red/Alexa and film or digital. And I KNOW that you can. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's a fair criticism for a different film. i feel like room has more nuance than that. it's not a "yyaaaay" movie. the third act is full of trauma but it's subtle enough that it won't upset the mums of the world too much.

It's subtle, but the subject matter alone is enough to keep Mrs. Tele well clear of it. (Of course, the movie has a double-edged whammy for her, since Tele Jr is four and a half, and she works with families and people who've suffered that sort of trauma.)

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Years of Kidnapping, sequestration & rape turned into an uplifting Disney movie.

Life triumphs anyway !

Cue the probable indie folk pensive & melancholic music.

No thanks.

i literally just said that's what it wasn't. but whatever. keep watching the version in your head I guess?

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Years of Kidnapping, sequestration & rape turned into an uplifting Disney movie.

Life triumphs anyway !

No thanks.

See the movie before you trash it. Otherwise, you just appear ridiculous right now.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, Jay Salahi said:

And I KNOW that you can. 

Actually, Steve Yedlin (DP and friend of Rian Johnson) just did a test which essentially proves that much of this is related to self-selection bias. He took some ALEXA footage and extensively adjusted it to emulate film as closely as possible, and showed it to a bunch of industry people without giving any hint about which was which. People weren't able to correctly identify which was film and which was digital. He did this not because he's pro- one or the other, but because he was curious to find if there was an objective difference.

Now, of course, film and digital have different traits and different strengths and it's sort of moot whether you want one to look like the other or not. And, for the most part, a lot of grading just tends to emphasize the trends/traits that people are already familiar with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Life triumphs anyway !

No thanks.

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 3

Just now, Telemachos said:

Actually, Steve Yedlin (DP and friend of Rian Johnson) just did a test which essentially proves that much of this is related to self-selection bias. He took some ALEXA footage and extensively adjusted it to emulate film as closely as possible, and showed it to a bunch of industry people without giving any hint about which was which. People weren't able to correctly identify which was film and which was digital. He did this not because he's pro- one or the other, but because he was curious to find if there was an objective difference.

Now, of course, film and digital have different traits and different strengths and it's sort of moot whether you want one to look like the other or not. And, for the most part, a lot of grading just tends to emphasize the trends/traits that people are already familiar with.

I am not surprised and I would like to hear very nerdy tech directors like Fincher & Cameron what is their two cents about digital cinematography since they won't go back to films these two.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am not surprised and I would like to hear very nerdy tech directors like Fincher & Cameron what is their two cents about digital cinematography since they won't go back to films these two.

Well, I think they've embraced digital for what they feel are strengths they prefer, and they're not interested in emulating a filmic look anyway.

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Side by Side (2012)

side-by-side-poster01.jpg

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I feel you. And I wont argue that at all.

However, when I watch trailers (you get tons of locations and set ups to view in order) I can call film or digital. I watched that new McConaughey trailer today and instantly I knew it was digital. 

I don't think films try to mask it all the time though

Edited by Jay Salahi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Well, I think they've embraced digital for what they feel are strengths they prefer, and they're not interested in emulating a filmic look anyway.

The real question is who hasn't embraced digital cameras ?

Besides the very vocal film club, QT, Nolan, Spielberg & JJ, most films from indies to Marvel and everything in between are turning to digital cinematography anyway, right ?

Evan Bay, a film lover, went digital recently,not sure about Snyder.

Edited by The Futurist