Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

I'm... completely happy with these noms :o 

Okay, I'm a tad disappointed by Carell not getting the Actor nom and Giacchino and "See You Again" being ignored, but those are just disappointments. Looking forward to the ceremony, definitely.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

There about 5 more films I would pick before Creed and about 10 before Straight out of Compton. The actors chosen are all incredible, It seems to me you're the one with bias not those doing the nomination.

Right, because again, it's just a coincidence that every single year, the best movies are ones made by white people, starring white people, and about white people. Apparently, that's just happenstance. Ok, bub. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

...and of course I'm in the ABI and ABR* camp, when it comes to Best Dir and Best Pic. 

:) 

* anyone but Inarritu / anything but Revenant

I liked it tho...

It begins...

King: It's suspicious how the Academy shut out black actors, films and directors in its Oscar nominations  

"Hear my heart, I don't think African-Americans should be nominated because they are black — never that. However, when the voters are 94% white, 76% men, and are an average of 63 years old, issues of racism and cultural understanding aren't imaginary, but very real."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-oscar-nominations-overlook-black-actors-films-article-1.2496777

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, #ED said:

Was that 50 Shades song better than See You Again? Wtf

While I was it wasn't associated with something as inherently trashy as Fifty Shades of Grey, I do love "Earned It." "See You Again" is a bit too treacly and derivative of other songs for my taste.

Take the best picture race, which had room for 10 films but ended up only with eight — leaving out “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the most beloved and biggest box office winner, and “Carol,” the year’s majestic mood piece.

One was too big. The other, too gay.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2016-oscar-nominations-snubbed-article-1.2496697

Star Wars was really gay? :thinking:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Right, because again, it's just a coincidence that every single year, the best movies are ones made by white people, starring white people, and about white people. Apparently, that's just happenstance. Ok, bub. 

I think the your problem should be finding why the film industry is this way. Instead of getting mad at people rating what is front of them correctly.