Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Probably not as much as Inarittu taking both BP/BD last year hurts it.

They obviously love Revenant. They don't care about who won last year. There are a lot of consecutive wins in Oscars history.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

before titanic you'd have to go back 50 years to sound of music. both the biggest movies of all-time at the time. it's very rare which is one of the factors making me unsure about the revenant. i mean even the artist got a screenplay nod JUST because it was the frontrunner.

Not to mention, AGI won last year, so I don't think it's the frontrunner.  At least not for picture. (And add to that random things like BP winners have always hd a SAG Nomination)

BP winner doesn't have to have a lot of noms, just the right one.

Big Short and Spotlight are still the two frontrunners, Id say.  

Both Big Short and Spotlight are in a strong position, but they might hurt each other's chances. Even more given there are other strong contenders.

MMFR will not have to fight as hard as I supposed against The Martian for the same attention. Miller's chances are really strong and there's room for a surprise.

Revenant will benefit from BO heat through the next weeks. And Globes will also help. Growing status for it.

There's still not a clear frontrunner.

The Revenant is truly primed to maximize it's box office, when considering awards attention. It just opened, with a very strong opening (nearly $40 mil), won the biggest awards at the Globes heading into the week, and is now the clear Oscar winner when it comes to nominations. The fact that it is the most nominated film (well above any other nominated film other than Mad Max) means, for better or for worse, it gets all the headlines. It will be fun to see how it does this weekend.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

At first I got really surprised they nominated a brazilian animation, then I got a bit more surprised at the fact that I've never seen this movie and I don't know anyone who has seen it... and then i googled the synopsis and it's an animated movie about a boy who discovers the income inequality and unemployment caused by the automation of factories and farms?? wtf why do my country only make movies that look like a social sciences project? 

Saddest things about the Oscars this year:

-the year with the strongest and widest BP aspirants resulted in only 8 nominees. Snubs for Carol and Inside Out are painful if you consider there was still room for both.

-Category fraud accepted. I think Mara has even more screen time than Blanchett...

-Inside Out not nommed for Score is outrageous.

-Tremblay out of the race despite Room's support.

-I failed with my bold March prediction! The sum of these 8 candidates gross ATM is a bit over 600M. not n average of 100M/film

9 minutes ago, stripe said:

Saddest things about the Oscars this year:

-the year with the strongest and widest BP aspirants resulted in only 8 nominees. Snubs for Carol and Inside Out are painful if you consider there was still room for both.

-Category fraud accepted. I think Mara has even more screen time than Blanchett...

-Inside Out not nommed for Score is outrageous.

-Tremblay out of the race despite Room's support.

-I failed with my bold March prediction! The sum of these 8 candidates gross ATM is a bit over 600M. not n average of 100M/film

It'll reach 800m likely.  Big Short will leg well and Revenant has a long run ahead of it.  Plus some minor expansions for the rest (including Room)

Inside Out pretty much got snubbed everywhere outside the Best Animated Picture category, hopefully there will be no Blank meltdown since it got nominated there. Some of last year's weekend threads became insufferable for quite some time after the nominees were announced due to the constant Lego Movie mentions.

40 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

girl with the dragon tattoo won editing.

Winning is different from getting nommed though. No BP winner has ever failed to get nommed for Best Editing until Birdman last year. But that was an exception, especially considering the movie itself and how it was edited. Loads of BP winners have failed to win editing though.