Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Concussion/Smith never stood a chance, really. The reviews were too heavily leaning on the mixed side, box office wasn't high enough, and the movie was never really considered a contender for anything other than Smith even before it screened at AFI in mid-November.

I agree, but Smith could have maybe snuck in with great campaigning. Either way the performance was never strong enough to be any kind of front runner.

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I agree, but Smith could have maybe snuck in with great campaigning. Either way the performance was never strong enough to be any kind of front runner.

That's the thing, though. He was entirely dependent upon his movie delivering, and it came up short critically and especially financially. Acting contenders who end up carrying all of the weight of their movie almost always end up falling through the cracks (like Daniel Bruhl, who was close to nominated and was at that point the only category Rush was expected to show up in, two years ago).

• Like 1

Beasts of No Nation: Based on early reports the Academy didn't care for the movie. It also had a smaller campaign and the possibility of being on Netflix going against it.

Concussion: Too mixed reviews and almost no campaign.

Creed: WB was focusing on Mad Max.

Straight Outta Compton: This was on the verge of Picture. I think the lack of a bigger presence in other categories prevented it from a nomination; the PGA/SAG/WGA combo very rarely fails.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Creed: WB was focusing on Mad Max.

Actually, WB hasn't been pushing MAX that hard either. Up until recently, they were still sticking with BLACK MASS. That got more guild screenings than either CREED or MAX, and of the screeners that went out, BLACK MASS is the one with actual effort put into the design and packaging... MAX and CREED both got generic, CD-style clear cases with no packaging whatsoever (and both got shipped late in the game).

• Like 4

Just now, Telemachos said:

Actually, WB hasn't been pushing MAX that hard either. Up until recently, they were still sticking with BLACK MASS. That got more guild screenings than either CREED or MAX, and of the screeners that went out, BLACK MASS is the one with actual effort put into the design and packaging... MAX and CREED both got generic, CD-style clear cases with no packaging whatsoever (and both got shipped late in the game).

Wow, that's interesting. The same report back in October that said Beasts was dead also said Black Mass was as well; sure enough, both got 0 nominations.

Jordan and Jackson are both better than Damon and DiCaprio, and I'd be shocked if Cranston and Redmayne are better (haven't seen their movies). Jackson's probably better than Fassbender too, thinking about it.

On the not subject of diversity though but still snubs, Carell is better than all seven of those.

• Like 2

Funnily enough if you asked me to name 5 best male lead performances I saw last year they'd all be by white guys. (Rory Culkin, Jason Segel, Stephen Plunkett, Jason Bateman, Joshua Burge). Yet take the actual Oscar nominees and Jordan and SLJ are better than at least four of them. 

Eh, I didn't find Samuel L. Jackson to be that great. He was good, yes, but he's gonna need to step waaaayyyy outside of his wheelhouse if he hopes to be nominated again. The thing about him is that he handles everything like the seasoned pro that he is, whether it's guiding the Avengers or tackling the latest badass that Tarantino creates for him, so it's hard for his performances to stand out as being "better than the norm."

• Like 1

The logic behind this boycott is farcical. 

Black Americans, however, are as stupid as their white American counterparts and will happily go along with idiotic social campaigns whilst the rest of the world shakes their heads.

I hope the Asian Americans don't start boycotting the Oscars too because of all their Oscar-worthy roles that deserved to be nominated for like...that Chinese gangster fellow in some atypical white male protagonist hero movie.

If you want to be nominated, you have to get the roles, to get the roles you need to change the money behind the industry. Oscars don't matter shit. They give out no money. They produce no films. And even the winners hardly matter. Did not the Artist win some years ago? What has Dujardin been up to here? Christoph Waltz still being typecast as silly European villain? The Oscars are hardly the place to change anything. 

I will say Best Actor is a weak field this year, so yeah someone like Jackson or Smith maybe "deserved" it slightly more than a few others that got in (still say Damon just played himself). Enough more to cry racism though? No. They were no Oyelowo, who himself probably got screwed by botched campaigning more than anything. And none of them were Steve Carell either, who gave the realest and most developed lead acting performance of the year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Funnily enough if you asked me to name 5 best male lead performances I saw last year they'd all be by white guys. (Rory Culkin, Jason Segel, Stephen Plunkett, Jason Bateman, Joshua Burge). Yet take the actual Oscar nominees and Jordan and SLJ are better than at least four of them. 

I actually think Bateman should be up there too (haven't seen your other four), but sadly, I know he has no shot :( 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, movieboner said:

That Ridley Scott snub for best director doesn't make any sense, when The Martian is nominated for Best Picture, Actor, and Adapted Screenplay.

I wouldn't call it a snub, he was given an excellent script and did an okay job with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blankments said:

Jordan and Jackson are both better than Damon and DiCaprio, and I'd be shocked if Cranston and Redmayne are better (haven't seen their movies). Jackson's probably better than Fassbender too, thinking about it.

On the not subject of diversity though but still snubs, Carell is better than all seven of those.

sorry I don't agree with this. I watched Creed, Jordan was good, but never screamed Oscar worthy and Samual Jackson was outshined in Hateful 8 by Walton Goggins and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Damon gave a better performance than all of them. Sure he played the cocky wise guy well but its was the more personal scenes he nailed, some actually nearly put a tear in my eye. Jordan/Jackson were no way near as good in comparison.

I cant comment on will smith because I haven't seen the film but he's been nominated in the past. I think this whole white washing is more to do with no real stand out perfomances rather than the academy being racist, its a joke. I actually admire the academy for ignoring all the criticism they got last year for this and not bending over backwards for all these ridiculous accusations. If anything, its racist to for black people to complain without any real leg to stand on. There was plenty of snubs this year, just like any other year.

Edited by Jessie

Tom Hardy in Warrior>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jordan in Creed.

Both films received nominations for their veteran in a supporting role. But of course no one was crying foul when Hardy had no awards traction. In that case, it was due to the fact that those type of movies rarely get anything in the big categories. But when Jordan doesn't get nominated in the 64-th sequel of Rocky, a film with an even more derivative screenplay than Star Wars, it's simply due to racism!

The PC culture is in full swing these days and any reasonable argument gets thrown out of the window.

Todd Haynes has never and will never be an Academy darling. His previous high there was Far From Heaven, which received nominations for Best Actress, Cinematography, Score and Screenplay. The difference between Carol and FFH, is Mara's nomination.

'' But the academy hates lesbians!!! '' They nominated the actresses that played the lesbians. '' But they hate lesbians!!! '' They nominated the screenplay written by Phyllis Nagy, who's a lesbian. '' But, but...got to hell you lesbian hater!!! ''

Edited by The Dark Samurai

5 hours ago, The Dark Samurai said:

Tom Hardy in Warrior>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jordan in Creed.

Both films received nominations for their veteran in a supporting role. But of course no one was crying foul when Hardy had no awards traction. In that case, it was due to the fact that those type of movies rarely get anything in the big categories. But when Jordan doesn't get nominated in the 64-th sequel of Rocky, a film with an even more derivative screenplay than Star Wars, it's simply due to racism!

The PC culture is in full swing these days and any reasonable argument gets thrown out of the window.

Dying of laughter at this comparison.

You're comparing Michael B. Jordan being snubbed for Creed (and for the record I don't think he ever had much traction either; coattail nominations always happen in the supporting categories) to...Tom Hardy in Warrior (a film that was lucky to have gotten a single nomination at all because it was a September release that no one saw)? Really?

With Scott left out, I hope BD will go to George Miller. Mad Max: Fury Road was one hell of a testosterone/estrogen driven movie and the action sequences were so realistic, and skillfully crafted. I hope AGI doesn't win again, since his direction in the Revenant isn't on par with George Miller.

I might have taken Jada PS and Spike Lee seriously if they had called for more black cinematographers,  writers etc to create a more diverse industry. Instead it's all about the 6 big 'glory' Oscars and really, probably, only lead actor/actress/director, which says it all.

this HTML class. Value is http://www.itsalawye

Edited by All about Eve