efialtes76

Weekend revised estimates and 4 days totals pg 43 4 day est: RA2: 41.6: The Rev: 39.0... SW7: 32.5

1 hour ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Actually it did.  Affected the entire market for 3d. The first film had thousands on sucide watches.  Only the first movie but Avatar is getting amusement parks by Disney and Fox.  Communities speaking the language created for them movie. New breakthroughs in sound and vusuals that go way beyond what anh did.  When one movie achieves so much that it dwarfs a franchise that's had 40 yrs on it. I think anyone of sound mind knows Avatar is doing things sws couldn't dream off.  Let's see after 4 films where Avatar is vs starwars. Avatar affected the world,  sws mostly domestic.  Big difference lol. 

That shit still cracks me up.  You either gotta be incredibly lonely or a straight up loser to get depressed over a glowing CGI jungle and thundersmurfs not being real.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

:WHATanabe:

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but if you can't get excited about this kind of box office performance, what will it take?

May I ask what you're doing on these forums while we're at it? 'cuz I feel like I'm missing something here. What kind of box office run do you need?

I think part of the problem is that while TFA's domestic box office run has been a stunner, its international run has been very lacking compared to the domestic one. I guess one can't expect this film to be as big WW as it was domestic, but it doesn't even seem to be close sadly. 

I mean people are talking about a 115 million finish in China. WTF!?!?!?!?

That is like, what? Less than 1/3 what that crap fest Furious 7, made in China.

That aint very impressive. Virtually every other major tentpole released last year (Jurassic World, Avengers 2, etc.) made like twice as much,

Edited by RogueLeader

15 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

I think part of the problem is that while TFA's domestic box office run has been a stunner, its international run has been very lacking compared to the domestic one. I guess one can't expect this film to be as big WW as it was domestic, but it doesn't even seem to be close sadly. 

I mean people are talking about a 115 million finish in China. WTF!?!?!?!?

That is like, what? Less than 1/3 what that crap fest Furious 7, made in China.

That aint very impressive. Virtually every other major tentpole released last year (Jurassic World, Avengers 2, etc.) made like twice as much,

It's 4th highest international total ever behind both Cameron flicks and FF7. It  has performed great OS.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, druv10 said:

It's 4th highest international total ever behind both Cameron flicks and FF7. It  has performed great OS.

Yeah, that is cool!

However, it just seems ridiculous that Furious 7 could possibly stay ahead in International gross. Dude, that is kind of embarrassing.

I still cannot comprehend why Furious 7 made so much money in China. I don't see why it generated so much interest!

Edited by RogueLeader

25 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Haven't you heard? the BO is all about overseas now.  Overseas is more important.

Is this supposed to be sarcastic? Because to me, overseas numbers are more important than the domestic ones especially for 'blockbuster' films with crazy budgets. I said this before, the big studios don't make these movies for the domestic market alone. They won't earn anything given those gargantuan budgets, some of which can be as high as 300 M, perhaps more.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

Yeah, that is cool!

However, it just seems ridiculous that Furious 7 could possibly stay ahead in International gross. Dude, that is kind of embarrassing.

I still cannot comprehend why Furious 7 made so much money there. I don't see why it generated so much interest!

They love cars. And the franchise is more recognizable there. The film market in China wasn't very big when the prequels came out (plus those sucked, which didn't help), and virtually non exisistant back in the 70's and 80's. I think Disney is in it for the long haul, laying the groundwork for the rest of the films. Casting Donnie Yen in Rogue One won't hurt things. 

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is this supposed to be sarcastic? Because to me, overseas numbers are more important than the domestic ones especially for 'blockbuster' films with crazy budgets. I said this before, the big studios don't make these movies for the domestic market alone. They won't earn anything given those gargantuan budgets, some of which can be as high as 300 M, perhaps more.

Out of the 3 numbers, I'd say WW gross is the most important for the reasons you mentioned. Then it would be domestic due to the higher percent share returning to studios. OS is important too for its contribution to WW, but alone I don't think it's more important than domestic. As an example, F7 may be higher OS than TFA but the latter is far more successful from the studios perspective due to its much higher domestic gross and worldwide gross. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Out of the 3 numbers, I'd say WW gross is the most important for the reasons you mentioned. Then it would be domestic due to the higher percent share returning to studios. OS is important too for its contribution to WW, but alone I don't think it's more important than domestic. As an example, F7 may be higher OS than TFA but the latter is far more successful from the studios perspective due to its much higher domestic gross and worldwide gross. 

But the thing is, TFA is just ONE movie. No movies do 900 M or even 500 M that easily in North America. Take the POTTER films as an example. Some of those had budgets as high as 250 M. Finishing with 300 M (sometimes even lower) in North America wouldn't have recuperated the budget spent. Even the 161 M gross of ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT didn't give its studio that much compared to its 716 M overseas gross. We can say the same thing regarding Pixar films and maybe almost all big-budgeted films.

And of course, the total gross worldwide is the most important. But the discussion is about domestic and overseas numbers.

Edited by kayumanggi

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

But the thing is, TFA is just ONE movie. No movies do 900 M or even 500 M that easily in North America. Take the POTTER films as an example. Some of those had budgets as high as 250 M. Finishing with 300 M (sometimes even lower) in North America wouldn't have recuperated the budget spent. Even the 161 M gross of ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT didn't give its studio that much compared to its 716 M overseas gross. We can say the same thing regarding Pixar films and maybe almost all big-budgeted films.

I agree. I was talking more about the relative weight of each of the values and that all things being equal, a studio would prefer a high domestic gross versus a high OS gross. There is a tip-off point as you mention, if the OS number outsizes the domestic number to a point where it returns more profits than the domestic market. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I agree. I was talking more about the relative weight of each of the values and that all things being equal, a studio would prefer a high domestic gross versus a high OS gross. There is a tip-off point as you mention, if the OS number outsizes the domestic number to a point where it returns more profits than the domestic market. 

...which is the case most of the time.

Edited by kayumanggi

41 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

They love cars. And the franchise is more recognizable there. The film market in China wasn't very big when the prequels came out (plus those sucked, which didn't help), and virtually non exisistant back in the 70's and 80's. I think Disney is in it for the long haul, laying the groundwork for the rest of the films. Casting Donnie Yen in Rogue One won't hurt things. 

Rogue one? Wasn't that in avatar?

They are going to rip off avatar now?

:P

Edited by No Prisoners

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is it? I'm not sure about that one. Two dollars overseas is about one dollar here. I would argue it's pretty equal and that it depends on the movie. Given how many knowledgable people there are on the industry here I'm assuming I don't need to point out that very many movies pre-sell many or most of their foreign markets? It's the best way to finance a movie frankly if you're not a major studio. In that case they don't give a shit whether France makes $5 million or $25 million - rights were already sold. They won't see a dime.

A lot of comedies and drama films don't have much of an overseas market. So maybe if we look more at just major tentpoles it would be much more fair to say the studios value overseas combined more than domestic because 1) Tentpoles are financed by the studios, and 2) Tentpoles are usually made for mass appeal including overseas audiences.

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Is it? I'm not sure about that one. Two dollars overseas is about one dollar here. I would argue it's pretty equal and that it depends on the movie. Given how many knowledgable people there are on the industry here I'm assuming I don't need to point out that very many movies pre-sell many or most of their foreign markets? It's the best way to finance a movie frankly if you're not a major studio. In that case they don't give a shit whether France makes $5 million or $25 million - rights were already sold. They won't see a dime.

A lot of comedies and drama films don't have much of an overseas market. So maybe if we look more at just major tentpoles it would be much more fair to say the studios value overseas combined more than domestic because 1) Tentpoles are financed by the studios, and 2) Tentpoles are usually made for mass appeal including overseas audiences.

That's entirely inaccurate.

DOM you get 50-55% of gross. OS you get 40-45%.

Overall OS market for Hollywood films is around 50% bigger than DOM market.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

I still cannot comprehend why Furious 7 made so much money in China. I don't see why it generated so much interest!

They said good-by in more than one way (thought it is the last part, and Walker...). FF 6 made $66m or so... Plus the mentioned cars...

2 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

and virtually non exisistant back in the 70's and 80's. I think Disney is in it for the long haul, laying the groundwork for the rest of the films. Casting Donnie Yen in Rogue One won't hurt things. 

Agree, (including long haul,..) especially as during that time they had still to suffer from the aftermath... of the 'Cultural Revolution'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution

putting the OS part in spoiler tags, so ppl can chose if they want to read it in a dom thread or not (not so much scrolling)

Spoiler

Beside in 2015 also the Chinese exchange rate dropped repeatedly (including very recently)... local movies boom in several key markets, so especially established / already introduced franchises have a big advance in getting awareness / can still compete or even win on a high level.

Even Jurrasic World was introduced more than some seem to be aware: Jurassic Park 3D got released in China in 2013 (~ $56m).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/?yr=2013&p=.htm

The highest result in 2015 in China for an US/UK movie... (~ before the recent ER drops) without any introduction was San Andreas, it got $103m. Even the later released The Martian's result (~ $95m) suffered already a bit for ERs there, that's the second best result for a Hollywood movie without beforehand introducing (2015).

My personal goal/hope was SW7 getting more than SPECTRE ($83m) in China,

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/?yr=2015&p=.htm

and an increase in local currency in a majority of it's key markets (including the US/CAN) in relation to the prequels, in a way a sign it might manage to counteract to the dropped WOM the Star Wars franchise had to suffer from the fans of the part Iv to VI = that it managed. Partly in a IMHO spectacular way. Others see it in another way...

It managed to enter the rather exclusive OS $1bn club beside in some key (and non-key) markets getting released ~ together with local record breakers and worse ERs than even a year back = I am really not understanding why anyone would be disappointed.

BO.com's long-range prediction - written in October - for SW7 was:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Dec 18, 2015 Disney $215,000,000 $762,000,000

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-10-long-range-forecast-star-wars-the-force-awakens

(one of the shortest reasoning by them, or?)

I seem to remember ppl thinking BO.com was off then, as (partly way) too high at that time.

Now ppl are unhappy with an $1b+ OS / as of today #4 OS, a #3 ww, and a #1 dom of probably over $900m ... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

... for more parters / franchises... And not always to the degree like the mentioned 'tipping point' in KP1025's post.

I do agree about the big budgets need for OS in general, without OS never even would getting those (IMHO too high) budgets and so on.

Beside that: I'd split up into dom / OS without China / China, as China means 25% and depending on it's part of the OS result that can have a considerable impact on the ammount / percentage a studio / distributer gets out of OS.