Ouija 2:

While I admire what was done here, it's not easy to make a good movie based on a board game, as we know well, lol, I have to say that I'm kind disappointed. 

The movie has the same structure of every horror movie released these days: Drama plus well developed and likable characters. And this is definitely not a problem! But you can't make a good HORROR movie based on this alone without the HORROR part. Look at Lights Out and The Conjuring 2, for example, both movies share the same structure of Ouija, but they also has moments that take away the breathe from the public, while Ouija... Well, let's just say that it was a good homage to the old movies.

The movie is not bad, it has good performances, especially from this young kid, she gives one of the best performances of the genre in the recent memory! It has a great direction, it's basically a good remake from the old school movies, I just wish it had it's own identity instead of looking so wannabe. 

After all, it's a solid movie into a year that's being awesome for the genre, it's far superior to the shit that was the first movie, while I wouldn't say that I'm excited for a third movie, I have to admit that I'm curious to see what more they could explore from such a shallow premise.

B-

We Are Still Here:

Can someone explain me why the hell this movie was so acclaimed by critics? I surely don't get this.

The movie has no structure, it suddenly goes from a basic supernatural movie to an insane slasher full of gore (!), the plot is interesting, but the execution is so bad that it becomes boring and predictable, you can get the "twist" in the first act. 

The "monsters" are laughable, it fails even in doing the basic from a horror movie: build a scary scene, it has two good moments that are ruined because the director don't know how to finish the scene. The only good think that I can say is about the cinematography that is truly beautiful.

It's a complete and boring mess, it seems that all that you have to do these days is a homage to old school movies and you receive a pass even if your movie has nothing special. 

C

The Purge 3:

First of all let me say that DeMonaco is clearly not a subtle guy, he don't even try to hide which side was supporting during the real ellections, lol.

The thing that I most admire on this franchise is how they managed to improve each new movie despite it's limitations, not only in budget, but also in their plot, despite being an intriguing plot, you can only go till some point before seeming redundant, and that's why it's so cool see they finishing the trilogy (?) in a big way! 

While I do enjoyed the first two movies, yeah, even the much hated first one (c'mon, it was not that bad, it just seemed bad because everybody expected more from it's plot, and I can't blame them, but it improves when we watch the whole franchise), I always missed a bigger exploration of it's themes, and if the second movie already showed an interesting improvement on this aspect, this one takes the story to another level! If during the second movie we could see the Purge Night by the eyes of civils, now you can see what's the real meaning behind this date, and that's the best thing in this movie, themes like: racism, classes differences, religion, big companies fucking poor persons, are finally in the mix of the franchise, and while we can not expect an bigger development on them (it still a third movie in a big blockbuster franchise), it's good to see that DeMonaco showed some maturity in this movie. 

And talking about maturity, the most popular aspect on the franchise also changed a lot during this time. While the violence in the first movie was showed as a fetiche, in this one it is nothing more than the consequence of the horror, DeMonaco is not happy anymore while filming the violence, he's depressed, and that's another proof to show how he grew up with his own franchise! 

The action is even better, easily the best of the franchise and even more impressive when we consider it's budget. With an ending that close some doors and open others (can't wait to see this prequel about the first Purge), Election Year ends not just as the best exemplar on the franchise, but also as part of a peculiar franchise that just can't stop improving.     

A

Oh, and Frank Grillo is a delight to the eyes, Hollywood, please give more franchises to him. 

• Like 1

I watched the Other Side of the Door yesterday. A solid B- flick for me, it scared me in some moments, even if it is more because of the (efficient) jump scares, than the story itself. The familiar drama was well developed, and the main Lady gave a great performance. It's always good to see horror movies exploring other cultures for a change. 

On 12/14/2016 at 9:29 AM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I watched The Wailing yesterday. The first two acts gave me more chills than any horror released this year, the atmosphere is excellent, and keeps the tension alive for the most part of time, too bad that it has a generic and weak third act that almost ruin the movie. 

I'd say the final third of the Wailing (meaning the slow burn of the last part) is the opposite of generic and is in fact quite ambiguous and strange.

1 hour ago, LateReg said:

I'd say the final third of the Wailing (meaning the slow burn of the last part) is the opposite of generic and is in fact quite ambiguous and strange.

Spoiler

Well, I have to disagree with you. I got that twist way before it happened, I thought that it was pretty obvious that this exorcist guy was also part of the malign presence. I also expected a more ambitious ending than the typical slasher that we got.

What will be the indie horror movie of next year that will be sell to the mainstream audience? We had, Babadook in 2014, It Follows in 2015, The Witch this year. Usually, we start hearing things about the movie in the year before the release, It Follows started generating chat back in the end of 2014, while The Witch was hyped since 2015 summer, but we have nothing for now. Maybe Raw?