WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

And if you want a lesson, to see what I'm talking about, go to any Star Wars thread early on when some posters tell other posters that they are nuts or crazy or delusional or moronic for thinking SW could make X dollars.  That's what I mean by learning something.

And if you are going to call out people for making predictions, then where you end up with egg on your face, be prepared to be called on it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

My post was defending you @nilephelan.  I was basically telling Cjohn that him telling you that you were nuts for making the prediction that you did, was wrong.  

The point of my post is that no one really knows anything.

As for you @GiantCALBears, you're always stirring up nonsense yourself.  I was simply saying that when one poster tells another poster that "there is a 0% chance" that something happens, more times than not they end up with egg on their face.  

Oh yeah? It's nonsense on a box office site that primarily deals in box office predictions to call out anyone for having a polarized prediction on anything. Otherwise this place would be infinitely more boring. It's that simple.

• Community Manager

And if you want a lesson, to see what I'm talking about, go to any Star Wars thread early on when some posters tell other posters that they are nuts or crazy or delusional or moronic for thinking SW could make X dollars.  That's what I mean by learning something.

And if you are going to call out people for making predictions, then where you end up with egg on your face, be prepared to be called on it.

Hey baumer remember when you doubted me when I said that SW would break the OW record in December? :P

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Oh yeah? It's nonsense on a box office site that primarily deals in box office predictions to call out anyone for having a polarized prediction on anything. Otherwise this place would be infinitely more boring. It's that simple.

What a shock, another post goes over your head.  

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

My post was defending you @nilephelan.  I was basically telling Cjohn that him telling you that you were nuts for making the prediction that you did, was wrong.  

The point of my post is that no one really knows anything.

As for you @GiantCALBears, you're always stirring up nonsense yourself.  I was simply saying that when one poster tells another poster that "there is a 0% chance" that something happens, more times than not they end up with egg on their face.  

Sorry, it is Friday and I have had a few drinks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I think what @Baumer is saying is that you are free to laugh at other people's predictions as long as you will admit in the end (if you end up wrong) that you were a condescending creature. lol

No you don't have to admit anything, saying something is 100% possible or impossible is part of the reason why there are passionate fans (or haters). It's not against the rules, how you are viewed is your decision.

Edited by GiantCALBears

The Winter (Jan/Feb) will be weaker than 2014. But Spring looks to be on-par with 2014, there will be atleast 5 100m+ grossers (Zootopia, BvS,Jungle Book, Huntsman, Allegiant,) It's also possible  that 10 Cloverfeild Lane, Miracles From Heaven, The Boss or My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2  breakout with 100m+ 

However, summer looks way better than 2014. 2014 July was what killed the  entire summer, it was very weak.  The biggest releases were Dawn of the Planet of the APES(208m) and Lucy(126m).  This July has Star Trek Beyond , Ghostbusters, Bourne 5, Ice Age: Collison Course, The Secret Life of Pets, The Legend of Tarzan and The BFG. There are possibly 2 or more 200m+ grossers in that group. 

Fall 2016 should remain within the averages, it's doesn't look any weaker or stronger than recent years. There are always some wildcards around this time of year that can break out. ( The Girl on the Train, The Magnificent Seven, Jack reacher 2,  Sully, Deepwater Horizon or one of the untitled horror films could do 100m+)

Holiday 2016 is what will make or break the year. I expect several Oscar bait movies  and maybe one more big release to get slated for December so i cant really gauge how its going to turn out at the moment. Especially since most of these November and December films dont even have trailers yet. 

Edited by babz06

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

No you don't have to admit anything, saying something is 100% possible or impossible is part of the reason why there are passionate fans. It's not against the rules, how you are viewed is your decision.

Of course, you can believe that. People who mock other people's predictions but end up wrong disappear anyway. lol

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

No. :)

Yeah, well you did. At least I think it was you who was like "wow there's a lot of hype but it's opening in December and December movies don't break the OW record so this can't possible break it..." around the time JW came out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Jurassic World especially. 

It's still AVATAR for me because I was one of the very few who thought it would win 2009. lol

And let me add, THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE. Most people didn't see that increasing from the first.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Yeah, well you did. At least I think it was you who was like "wow there's a lot of hype but it's opening in December and December movies don't break the OW record so this can't possible break it..." around the time JW came out.

Oh yea, that was definitely me.

But that's a rational discussion.  That's not me saying, "What are you, fucking delusional WB?  There's 0% chance that SW breaks the opening weekend record in December.....you must be off your meds."

You see what I'm getting at?

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Baumer said:

But that's a rational discussion.  That's not me saying, "What are you, fucking delusional WB?  There's 0% chance that SW breaks the opening weekend record in December.....you must be off your meds."

Yeah that was Excel, the self-proclaimed Box Office Expert who Knew Better than Everyone About the Box Office.

There is nothing wrong with that, whether on mojo or here we have ALWAYS been allowed to mock (within some reason of decency) predictions or polarized opinions. As long as it doesn't go overboard am I wrong or not?

• Like 1