kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates | 21.0 M KFP III | 11.44 M HAIL, CAESAR! | 7.10 M THE REVENANT | 6.89 M SW: TFA | 6.09 M THE CHOICE | 5.20 M PAPAZ | 4.7 M THE FINEST HOURS

43 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Bad release date for Panda. Should have released sometime in summer or winter. Dont know why they choose January for a big budget animation.

Yeah I was saying this in the Tuesday thread or something, terrible release date. The mid-week numbers sucked. I don't care what anyone wants to say, you can't make fucking $2 million during a day in your first week, that's absolutely pathetic for a bigger budget film. I know not everything can be Star Wars, but good god, the 4th day of release, not even close to $2M? And now a garbage second weekend incoming. Hopefully the next Kung Fu Panda is straight to VOD and DVD and I never hear about it. Seeing the trailer for this POS was painful enough.

I'm surprised Revenant being down more like that, huh, it's so funny to watch TFA and Revenant run so close, neck and neck, with Revenant eeking out a victory each week except for the first. Maybe that changes next weekend, who knows. 

PS: If Star Wars could make $800K almost on Monday, and Panda could do barely better than double that, it puts into perspective what a shitty performance that is. Panda made almost 4x as much during the weekend, and it couldn't do 3x as much Monday? WTF?

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

it is winter I meant Nov/Dec timelines. Lego released during President's day weekend and I guess had nostalgia value. Panda plays more to adults than kids and I guess that is why it just went down.

Because they took so long to make the sequels. By the time they were released, they were forgotten already. The original KFP wasn't on par with the blockbust successes of Toy Story, Shrek and Finding Nemo that they can sustain the interest for a very long time.

About the taking so long to do KFP3 thing...

What is taking Disney so long with Frozen 2? The first Frozen took 3 years to be made now they are going to take about 6 years to do the sequel? Isn't the easy part done already? All the character models, environments, characters cast, and feel of the movie is established already. Disney is risking alot by not fast tracking Frozen 2 and giving it an earlier release. It should take 4 years at most to make, put it out in 2017 at the latest.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

I....I wouldn't say KFP3 would have done too much better in the summer......cause it still would have had more competition....and less room to build legs. :( It always happens, guys. It happened with the second one.

Ehh....you know what....this box office performance proved to me....unfortunately & sadly.....that people.....people, nowadays are just being too apathetic about DW-animated films's potentials. That either....(no matter how good or how better a DW-movie can be).....they're still avoiding DW-films, constantly.

I was always the defender of DW-films.(And i still am) i mean, some of us thought that January was a very good slot to release it in....with no other big blockbuster going against it. I thought....(Look, last year, the war-flick "American Sniper" did great in January....that did $350M DOM. KFP3 won't do anywhere close to those numbers..but at least it will do enough to be considered a DOM-hit around $165-200M....what could go wrong?)

When your DOM audience doesn't give a shit about why DWA really needed a bigger success with KFP3...EVERYTHING CAN GO WRONG. :ph34r:

I dread to think that whatever happens to DWA if they shutdown forever. Who's to blame? The people at DWA doing a lame job, or the audience not caring about seeing their new upcoming movies?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Bad release date for Panda. Should have released sometime in summer or winter. Dont know why they choose January for a big budget animation.

I could think of a few reasons why they picked January:

1. Probably because there weren't any other mass-blockbuster movie/sequel in January. And that's a month where it's the least competitive.

2. They did that because they didn't want to compete against SW: EP7 in December & BvS in March.

3. They also did it only because WB's American Sniper did so spectacular in January, breaking the OW record of that month. So maybe they thought: "Wow, that film made record-breaking numbers in January....now any big movie can get released in January and do great right?" 

But still....what's the point of releasing a big movie in a more competitive time in summer? Where every big summer movie is fighting for the #1 biggest film.

32 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

What is taking Disney so long with Frozen 2? The first Frozen took 3 years to be made now they are going to take about 6 years to do the sequel? Isn't the easy part done already? All the character models, environments, characters cast, and feel of the movie is established already. Disney is risking alot by not fast tracking Frozen 2 and giving it an earlier release. It should take 4 years at most to make, put it out in 2017 at the latest.

lol by the time the sequel releases all the little girls will be in high school.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Exactly. If Frozen came in summer 2017 it would have made tons of money. No big animated franchise is coming out in summer 2017 except DM3.  Cars 3 excluded.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

About Frozen 2.....i don't think an increase is reasonable either way....

That one feels like it needs to rely on novelty to be a huge hit again....and i really can't see it with Frozen 2, honestly. This is the "Age of Ultron" for me.....people are gonna go massively high on it.....because it's Frozen....duh.

And it would be unrealistic if people expect that to be as huge or bigger than the first one (Cough, cough....Spideyfreak :ph34r:)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Don't expect it until 2019 at least. The Lopezes, which are the song composers for Frozen still got Disney's Gigantic next, which will be released early 2018.

Well Frozen is basically a cultural phenomenon. Only time will tell if the audience has been tired of it or will still be hyped come sequel release, but it's in a better position that the Kung Fu Panda series.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Exactly. If Frozen came in summer 2017 it would have made tons of money. No big animated franchise is coming out in summer 2017 except DM3.  Cars 3 excluded.

Cars 3 isn't a big threat for DM3, anyway. I mean, Cars 2 did well enough, WW-wise....but i don't think people were actually clamoring for another one. And now with Cars 3....i think people will prefer to wait for Incredibles 2, instead. That one is gonna be the Pixar sequel we needed and were waiting for. Sorry, Lightning McQueen & Mater.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rman823 said:

Ended up seeing Dirty Grandpa with some friends tonight and I can honestly say it will probably be one of my new guilty pleasures. Sure it was crude and offensive humor but everyone in my group and the theater seemed to enjoy it. Sometimes it feels good to just turn your brain off and enjoy a dumb comedy. 

You described a franchise I know

The 50% drop for KFP3 is due to the Superbowl. Paddington dropped 60% on SB Sunday in 2015 and Nut Job fell 58.6% on Sunday in 2014.

On top of that KFP3 is coming off the ow.

Next weekend's hold should be great as it will stay flat/marginally increase on Valentine's Day Sunday.

20.5m this weekend, 15m next weekend and 9-10m the following weekend.

That's

41.28 + 6.77 (week 1) +

20.5 + 4 (week 2) +

15 + 3 (week 3) +

10 (weekend 4) =

101m + 2.5-3x off the 4th weekend for 25-30m more.

KFP3 is looking at around 125-130m dom. Close to TGD (120m) and Peanuts (130m).

All of them disappointing by varying degrees.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2