WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

13 hours ago, jandrew said:

Not sure why everyone is shocked about Passion. It was a mainstream movie about Jesus Christ after all that hit the right amount of WOM, controversy, and Mel.

Passion was a mainstream movie? LOL

1. Yeah, I know many mainstream movies distributed by NewMarket. Wait, its second biggest movie ever is Monster (34M DOM)

2. Yeah, I know many movies about Jesus Christ grossing more than 300M. Wait, I don't even know one grossing more than 100M

3. Yeah, I know many mainstream movies spoken in a foreign language. Moreover, its better when the foreign languages are ancient and unspoken. Wait, the only foreign language to cross the 100M DOM barrier is Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with 130M. And it was Chinese, only spoken by 1.3 billion.

4. And yeah, industry is eager to open a lot of mainstream historical R-rated films per year without stars. Wait, industry didn't have anything to do with this movie. It was Mel Gibson's own project/stravaganza.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, stripe said:

Passion was a mainstream movie? LOL

1. Yeah, I know many mainstream movies distributed by NewMarket. Wait, its second biggest movie ever is Monster (34M DOM)

2. Yeah, I know many movies about Jesus Christ grossing more than 300M. Wait, I don't even know one grossing more than 100M

3. Yeah, I know many mainstream movies spoken in a foreign language. Moreover, its better when the foreign languages are ancient and unspoken. Wait, the only foreign language to cross the 100M DOM barrier is Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with 130M. And it was Chinese, only spoken by 1.3 billion.

4. And yeah, industry is eager to open a lot of mainstream historical R-rated films per year without stars. Wait, industry didn't have anything to do with this movie. It was Mel Gibson's own project/stravaganza.

2 billion Christians in the world. I would call it mainstream. Many biblical movies over 100m adjusted in the last 100 years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

2 billion Christians in the world. I would call it mainstream. Many biblical movies over 100m adjusted in the last 100 years.

Not that many. And most of them released in the 50's and 60's (Ten Comandments or Ben-Hur). That was the golden era of sword & sandal films. It was the equivalent of SH genre in those days for GA.

In modern era there's not a single historical Christian movie grossing more than 60M.

There are 1.5 billion of muslims in the world. Is it mainstream a movie about their prophet? Also, what happened with movies such as Little Budha, or Kundun?

Edited by stripe
  • Like 3

Passion was a big deal at the time, even before its release it was massively hyped for being so damn brutal. As amazing as its box office performance is, its not massively unexpected like people make out. Most people just wanted to see how violent it was. Over here in the UK it wasn't anywhere near the hit it was in the US, I guess us Brits just aren't as gullible when it comes to the Christian bullshit :P. I remember Americans saying how important this movie was, whilst kids just wanted to watch 2 hours of torture lol.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Calling Bruce almighty a film about God is like saying the upcoming Flash movie is a Usain Bolt doc.

It's not completely about God, but the storyline revolves around a man who replaces God's role after complaining about him too much.  So it at least has some aspects to do with God.

The Flash is fast like Usain Bolt, but the story doesn't even have any aspects that have anything to do with Usain Bolt.

That's not a very good comparison...

• Like 1