kayumanggi

THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD | 08.18.17 | trailer 1 on page 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeManhattan said:

Movies like WW doesn't need a good RT score to make a billion dollars, so the embargo date does matter.

If HB embargo is lifted on Wednesday August 16, that's still very close to the release.

Other movies like Detroit and Logan Lucky were happy to have an early embargo lift. Because they knew they had good movies.

And there are plenty of films that are good that don't have early embargo dates. Typically a film has its reviews released the week of release....regardless of whether it's good or bad. 

Yea sure Detroit and Logan Lucky had reviews early but just because a film doesn't follow that route, doesn't mean it's suddenly bad. 

Empire City already said this film screened very well and he thought it was good. A reviewer on letterboxd who saw it at Cinemacon also said it was good. Scott Mendelson put it as one of his box office surprises for the summer and said he put it there based on what he and exhibitors he talked to thought about the film. 

Like theres already been folks who have SEEN the movie say it's a decent crowd pleasing flick. 

I haven't seen the film obviously to give my opinion on it, but I'd rather take the word of folks who have actually seen it as opposed to speculating based on embargo dates that can change at any minute. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ClaudeManhattan said:

The exhibitors love this movie because it will bring in a lot of people. But box office and movie quality are two different things.

For an original film like this, quality matters. otherwise people aren't gonna go. 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2017 at 11:03 AM, Mike Branson said:

Another crazed Marvel fan.

Nick Fury and Deadpool is not in this movie.

Repeat: Nick Fury and Deadpool is not in this movie!!!

Well.....they kind of are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/08/2017 at 11:15 AM, ClaudeManhattan said:

Movies like WW doesn't need a good RT score to make a billion dollars, so the embargo date does matter.

If HB embargo is lifted on Wednesday August 16, that's still very close to the release.

Other movies like Detroit and Logan Lucky were happy to have an early embargo lift. Because they knew they had good movies.

LOL...detroit isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with its reviews....it's obviously fresh on RT right now but I've read that some people hated it.  So let's wait until there's more 50 reviews of it.

Look, if your only purpose at this site is to slam this movie, then why even hang out here?  Don't you have better things to do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nova said:

For an original film like this, quality matters. otherwise people aren't gonna go. 

You'll have to try to ignore Mr. Manhattan, he's been slamming this film since his first day here.....I think RR stole his girlfriend back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm guessing Lionsgate is confident it's going to be successful

I know there's a ton of screenings for it this weekend in other cities/theaters. 

This one is strictly through AMC but even then it was weird to see it screening at both AMC's in my area. Usually it's one or the other. 

But yea I suspect they have some confidence in it if they're letting fans see it a few weeks early or maybe they're trying to build some hype by having fans see it a few weeks early. Who knows! I'll have my own opinion on it though in a weeks time :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Well.....they kind of are.

No, Nick Fury and Deadpool are not in this movie.

LOL...detroit isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with its reviews....it's obviously fresh on RT right now but I've read that some people hated it.  So let's wait until there's more 50 reviews of it.

Look, if your only purpose at this site is to slam this movie, then why even hang out here?  Don't you have better things to do?

Detroit has already been certified fresh.

33 minutes ago, Nova said:

I know there's a ton of screenings for it this weekend in other cities/theaters. 

This one is strictly through AMC but even then it was weird to see it screening at both AMC's in my area. Usually it's one or the other. 

But yea I suspect they have some confidence in it if they're letting fans see it a few weeks early or maybe they're trying to build some hype by having fans see it a few weeks early. Who knows! I'll have my own opinion on it though in a weeks time :) 

But not critic screening and there is still an embargo until Aug 18

You'll have to try to ignore Mr. Manhattan, he's been slamming this film since his first day here.....I think RR stole his girlfriend back in the day.

Actually Reynolds is one of mine favorite actors, he can have her anytime he want.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ClaudeManhattan said:

But that's the big question:

Why critics are embargoed?

If the reviews are good, why not lift the embargo today?

Why wait till release day?

Because why would you want the embargo lifted so early from release? Not every movie has to follow that path. This movie comes out in 2 fucking weeks - they can lift the embargo a week out, or on Sunday before release if they want to. That's what Wonder Woman did, and WW was widespread acclaimed, wasn't it? Sometimes abusively early embargoes can actually lead to a deflation of the box office due to some people feeling like the film had already come out (apparently that happened with Atomic Blonde a little bit).

Goddammit, that's one of the things that peeves me the most about modern Hollywood - embargoes that are waaaayyyyy too early. One week out is perfect.

Also, why are you that desperate to prove your point that Logan Lucky may do more than this? Is LL even gonna be a wide release?

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Because why would you want the embargo lifted so early from release? Not every movie has to follow that path. This movie comes out in 2 fucking weeks - they can lift the embargo a week out, or on Sunday before release if they want to. That's what Wonder Woman did, and WW was widespread acclaimed, wasn't it? Sometimes abusively early embargoes can actually lead to a deflation of the box office due to some people feeling like the film had already come out (apparently that happened with Atomic Blonde a little bit).

Goddammit, that's one of the things that peeves me the most - embargoes that are waaaayyyyy too early. One week out is perfect.

Some films have early embargo due to being released earlier in other countries or premiering at film festivals, I imagine American Made's reviews will come out in late August but releasing reviews too early means they get lost in the sea of other reviews. 

Lionsgate seem confident in the film whatever the reviews are like.

• Like 2

I think over Baywatch (18.5m) would be a big success for this.

Lot of similar movie, including at least one very good one with some star power's didn't do it (Fist Fight 12.2m, Nice Guys 11.2, let's be cops 17.3, RIPD 12.7, Cop Out 18.2 and well Baywatch), Chips even went under 10m.

The last non-IP movie to achieve 20m for Liongates was the excellent 156 million budget  Deepwater Horizon, before that one it was Now You See Me in 2013 with an really impressive 29m.

Has for embargo, it is still really early imo, there is 2 full weekend of release cycle to go one before that one and for comedy OW the trailer being funny is really the major factor.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

I checked, and yes, Logan Lucky will be wide.... but it's also from Bleecker Street. Whose only wide release to date was Megan Leavey, and whose highest grossing film to date was Eye In The Sky at 18M. LL will probably break both, but it doesn't seem like it can set too high bars w/that restraint. I want it to do very well, I always root for movies like that (especially if they're good, but let's be realistic. Still, it could be a The Gift for them, which would be nice.

@Jonwo That last sentence of your 1st paragraph is exactly my biggest problem with early embargoes - they just get lost in the shuffle and audiences forget about them quickly. Especially if they're too early. If they do have an effect on audiences, then you have to strike the iron when it's hot. Bleecker Street is a small indie that produces a lot of awards contender type films, so it makes sense that they would release the embargo soon to give everyone notice of having a damn good action movie. Lionsgate doesn't need that.

And for the matter, Hitman's Bodyguard doesn't need a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes - it needs audiences to think that it's a funny movie. If it is, it will breakout. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I checked, and yes, Logan Lucky will be wide.... but it's also from Bleecker Street. Whose only wide release to date was Megan Leavey, and whose highest grossing film to date was Eye In The Sky at 18M. LL will probably break both, but it doesn't seem like it can set too high bars w/that restraint. I want it to do very well, I always root for movies like that (especially if they're good, but let's be realistic. Still, it could be a The Gift for them, which would be nice.

@Jonwo That last sentence of your 1st paragraph is exactly my biggest problem with early embargoes - they just get lost in the shuffle and audiences forget about them quickly. Especially if they're too early. If they do have an effect on audiences, then you have to strike the iron when it's hot. Bleecker Street is a small indie that produces a lot of awards contender type films, so it makes sense that they would release the embargo soon to give everyone notice of having a damn good action movie. Lionsgate doesn't need that.

I agree about not making sense to release reviews early,  but when does the embargo lift?

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

How does Lopnsgate seem confident in the movie?

There's a 2.5 star review on letterboxd. not good

They're holding fan screenings for it like two weeks before release. They've already shown some critics the film. They screened it at Cinemacon. 

And as I've already stated, EmpireCity watched it months ago at a screening and said it screened it well. 

I dont think a studio would have their film screen a bunch of times to industry insiders if they felt bad about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1