Impact

Best actress-2016 predictions

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly think if viola would have stuck as a lead for fences she would've still won. a shame. 

I think she did the wise thing and locked it up. She went supporting because Stone and Portman pretty much got frontrunner status with rave reviews out of Venice, Huppert wasn't even on the map yet, and Amy Adams also got raves in a popular movie in the meantime. The category this year was packed. Against last years or Juliane Moore's year nominees she would have swept everything.

I feel like you argue Viola's placement either way since she's off screen for a large portion of the movie. Her win winning in Supporting for Fences is nowhere nearly as criminal as Alicia Vikander winning Supporting for The Danish Girl, in which she probably had even more screentime than Redmayne.

yeah, i actually have no problem with viola in supporting. people balking at the placement are just following the tonys who used to have their weird "if your name's above the title on the poster/marque you're a lead" rule when she won. i'm just saying she's so good that she'd be a better lead winner than the one we're faced with!

Edited by CoolioD1

I think Viola made the smart (safe) choice. Lead actress is a strong category this year, and while she would definitely be a front runner it wouldn't be guaranteed, but Supporting Actress is about as close to a sure thing there is and after a long career where she was so close to the Oscar several times only to be edged out at the end maybe she wanted to make sure she got one under her belt.

On the topic of screentime, Supporting Actress has a long history where less is more.

I remember when Judy Dench won for Shakespeare in Love with under 8 minutes of screen time and even Anne Hathaway only had 15 minutes in Les Mis.

The record for shortest screen time to win an Oscar is a mere 5 minutes, 40 seconds when Beatrice Straight won Supporting Actress for Network and the record for an Oscar nomination is just 2 minutes, 20 seconds by Hermione Baddeley for Room at the Top.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

random thing i just learned about isabelle huppert. i know she's only been in like, six american features but she was also in... an episode of law and order svu. like, what?

According to series executive producer Neal Baer, Huppert is expected to guest star in the NBC drama's season finale as the mother of a kidnapped child.

Leslie Caron and Jeanne Moreau also have appeared on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" at Baer's invitation.

Dude has a thing for veteran French actresses. And maybe she saw that Caron, Cynthia Nixon and Ellen Burstyn all won Emmys for guest-starring in it in the previous three years and decided it might be an easy way to get one

15 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

random thing i just learned about isabelle huppert. i know she's only been in like, six american features but she was also in... an episode of law and order svu. like, what?

I look forward to when she gives Juliette Binoche and Charlotte Gainsbourg a run for their paychecks by showing up in Transformers 8 or whatever.

On 01/02/2017 at 7:30 PM, CoolioD1 said:

I do believe they wrote that episode specifically for her though. 

50 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Stone won the BAFTA. 

Yup. I can almost forgive them for giving the BAFTA Rising Star award to Tom Hardy over Emma in 2011.

Then again, they don't have the best track record with the Rising Star award, Kristen Stewart won over Carey Mulligan and Jesse Eisenberg, Juno Temple over Alicia Vikander, Elizabeth Olsen and Andrea Riseborough, and this years winner Tom Holland over Ruth Negga and Anya Taylor-Joy.

9 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Yup. I can almost forgive them for giving the BAFTA Rising Star award to Tom Hardy over Emma in 2011.

Then again, they don't have the best track record with the Rising Star award, Kristen Stewart won over Carey Mulligan and Jesse Eisenberg, Juno Temple over Alicia Vikander, Elizabeth Olsen and Andrea Riseborough, and this years winner Tom Holland over Ruth Negga and Anya Taylor-Joy.

I got no problem with them picking Hardy and Stewart. 

54 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

i don't see what's wrong with any of these. noel clarke winning might have been a better example of them fucking up, but these are all great wins from actors that have done pretty electric work since (well i'm no fan of stewart but she certainly has more admirers than the other two you mentioned, and is working w/ more interesting filmmakers)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't see what's wrong with any of these. noel clarke winning might have been a better example of them fucking up, but these are all great wins from actors that have done pretty electric work since (well i'm no fan of stewart but she certainly has more admirers than the other two you mentioned, and is working w/ more interesting filmmakers)

Maybe it's just preferences. Hardy has done good work and has commercial success, but he always seems to play similar types of characters, which he's good at and I feel both Emma and Andrew Garfield would have been better choices, but I will admit that's with 20/20 hindsight and both were only just starting to show their potential.

Kristen, well, I see her as completely one note. I can't recall her ever leaving her comfort zone, but she was very much in the public eye the year she won, but Mulligan would have been by far a better choice.

15 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

Kristen, well, I see her as completely one note. I can't recall her ever leaving her comfort zone, but she was very much in the public eye the year she won, but Mulligan would have been by far a better choice.

I think Camp X ray, On the Road and Clouds of Sils Maria were definately out of her comfort zone and she was really good in all of them. She is been good even in dogshit movies like American Ultra.