Impact

Best actress-2016 predictions

After the full trailer I'm inclined to go back to Stone as the winner too. It looks like a performance that'll go straight for everybody's hearts. Portman has A LOT going for her and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if she took it, but she's in a chillier movie and a previous winner. 

Either way it should be the strongest competition in this category in years. Maybe even stronger than Meryl vs Viola in 2011.

43 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

After the full trailer I'm inclined to go back to Stone as the winner too. It looks like a performance that'll go straight for everybody's hearts. Portman has A LOT going for her and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if she took it, but she's in a chillier movie and a previous winner. 

Either way it should be the strongest competition in this category in years. Maybe even stronger than Meryl vs Viola in 2011.

Unless of course Bening could develop a sympathy narrative that she might lose to another much younger actress. Again.

• Like 1

The competition this year will be fierce. And always have to consider this is the year with "diversity" word in every Academy voter.

1. Emma Stone

2. Natalie Portman

Strong chances

3. Annette Bening

4. Amy Adams

Fighting for place

5. Ruth Negga

Isabelle Huppert

Meryl Streep

Jessica Chastain

Taraji P Henson

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So packed is this category that it's a shame that early year contenders that would be very worthy like Kate Beckinsale in Love & Friendship and Sally Field in Hello, My Name is Doris stand zero chance.

I still haven't seen Eye in the Sky but I wonder if Helen Mirren could sneak up on everyone. She did get two SAG noms last year out of nowhere, one of them for a movie that came out in the spring. It's possible.

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I still haven't seen Eye in the Sky but I wonder if Helen Mirren could sneak up on everyone. She did get two SAG noms last year out of nowhere, one of them for a movie that came out in the spring. It's possible.

She's being campaigned in Supporting.