Impact

Best director predictions-2016

Lonergan, Parker, Scorsese, Villeneuve all look good to me (the first two's films have been seen and widely praised, Scorsese is Scorsese, and it feels like Sicario brought Villeneuve a ton of goodwill that could translate into a nom this time if he does justice to the supposedly incredible source material), which probably means that only one or two of them will get nominated in the end. But I'll go with them for now.

Not sure about the fifth guy. Eastwood and Hancock seem too safe/bland, Zemeckis hasn't made anything above-average since Cast Away, and did I miss the memo that Rob Reiner is suddenly a good director again after 20 years? Ang Lee's movie sounds fascinating but it also seems like something that could go off the rails pretty easily. I think I'll just go with James Gray because I'm a big fan and it's about time he got recognized already.

i don't think people are ok with mel gibson yet. yeah i know roman polanski and woody allen or whatever but they certainly have more impassioned fans. mel just presenting at the golden globes seems to make the room visibly uncomfortable.

Yeaaahhhhh, I wouldn't bet on anything Mel-related either. There were even reports from the Globes after parties this year that everyone went out of their way to avoid him (probably wasn't smart to invite him in a year in which neither RDJ and Jodie Foster, his two remaining lifelines that are the only reason he is invited at all to these events, didn't attend).

26 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I wish Silence would be dated already. 

The Big Short didn't get its date until near the end of September last year. One thing to be of concern though is that Paramount already has a lot on their plate for the end of the year between Arrival, Allied, and Fences.

Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Ang Lee, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Nate Parker, The Birth of a Nation

Martin Scorcese, Silence

You could probably swap out Lonergan for Affleck if Live by Night gets released this year.