Impact

Best director predictions-2016

I'm thinking this is between Scorsese and Chazelle unless we get someone out of left field. Parker is out, Ang Lee already has two statues, Villeneuve's is an unambiguous sci-fi movie, Lonergan's is more of a writer's movie, Washington would have to seriously up his game to be considered for a win. Who else is there? I'd love it to be James Gray but it'll be a long shot even if the movie blows everyone away. 

First GoldDerby expert predictions for Best Director nominations (doesn't include Silence):

http://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/expert-predictions/oscars-nominations-2017/director/sort/recent/

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea - 17
Ang Lee, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - 17
Damien Chazelle, La La Land - 16
Jeff Nichols, Loving - 11
Denzel Washington, Fences - 10

Nate Parker, The Birth of a Nation - 7
Denis Villeneuve, Arrival - 4
Ewan McGregor, American Pastoral - 3
Clint Eastwood, Sully - 2
Maren Ade, Toni Erdmann - 1
Andrea Arnold, American Honey - 1
Garth Davis, Lion - 1
Stephen Frears, Florence Foster Jenkins - 1
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Lobster - 1
Tate Taylor, The Girl on the Train - 1
Morten Tyldum, Passengers - 1
Robert Zemeckis, Allied - 1

Something to consider about Chazelle-if he wins he will break a 85 year old record of the youngest director win ever (youngest was 32 years old). Which is something to consider for those putting him as the frontrunner.

After seeing Moonlight, I think Jenkins is in. His work his superb and I can see the director's branch really going for it (FYI: when the movie screened at TIFF, Jonathan Demme and Darren Aronofsky were some of the big names in attendance at the screening, and Demme was one of the people to ask him a question during the Q&A afterwards).

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

After seeing Moonlight, I think Jenkins is in. His work his superb and I can see the director's branch really going for it (FYI: when the movie screened at TIFF, Jonathan Demme and Darren Aronofsky were some of the big names in attendance at the screening, and Demme was one of the people to ask him a question during the Q&A afterwards).

It depends on how much they push Moonlight, even with all the acclaim, A24 will probably campaign the film for best picture primarily, Jenkins could wind up being getting snubbed because of it.

32 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

well A24 did a similar thing last year with room and lenny abrahamson got that directing nod most people weren't expecting. if the director's branch likes the movie that's all it needs man.

Yeah, I didn't think Lenny could get in before the nomination day, I think Moonlight will likely have stronger buzz even than room.

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

It depends on how much they push Moonlight, even with all the acclaim, A24 will probably campaign the film for best picture primarily, Jenkins could wind up being getting snubbed because of it.

The Beasts of the Southern Wild guy got in over heavyweights like Affleck and Bigelow. Nothing is impossible. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

True, anything's possible at this point I suppose.

Yes even Max Steel, Dirty Grandpa, The Witch and 50 Shades of Black all picking up nominations :P

(Going off of what I've heard are some of the worse of the year-The Witch is one I've heard from horror fans is not scary or disturbing like the critics said it was)