Bishop54

Weekend Thread: Grimsby Bros leads the way with massive 3.1M, 10CL has decent 25.2M, Zootopia crumbles to $50M ;) P.31

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What's with 10 Cloverfield Lanes tiny Sunday drop? Definitely over estimated.

If it is over estimated, maybe those moviegoers went to Zootopia instead. Hell, the marketing for Zootopia is already appealing directly to adult moviegoers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

If it is over estimated, maybe those moviegoers went to Zootopia instead. Hell, the marketing for Zootopia is already appealing directly to adult moviegoers.

One of my friends took her son and said she enjoyed it more than he did. 

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

"Go see Zootopia 'cos you've already seen Deadpool"

In what elemental plane does that make sense?

Edited by Kung Fu Panda Tree

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

One of my friends took her son and said she enjoyed it more than he did. 

Yeah, I've heard many reports of only adults laughing. My ten year old sister saw this movie (not with me) and she complained that it wasn't funny and that only grownups laughed. I guess 10 is about the right age when you think critically about movies, but not old enough to get most of the jokes.

Hell, I even heard this exchange when I left the auditorium.

Dad: How did you like it?

12-year-old daughter: It was good.

10-year old son: Good.

Dad: It was awesome!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

"Go see Zootopia 'cos you've already seen Deadpool"

In what elemental plane does that make sense?

Deadpool was the new edgy movie that broke out big.

Now Zootopia is the new edgy movie that's breaking out big.

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How is Zootopia edgy?

Well, it's subtle. It addresses issues that very few movies acknowledge, and it's all under the guise of a cute funny animal story.

Spoiler

How about the moment where Judy reaches for her fox repellent after Nick chews her out for her press conference.

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

How is Zootopia edgy?

It's very bold to make an original $150 million animated caper with political/societal commentary, adult-skewing humor (almost all of the jokes rely on sarcasm, irony, puns or slow build-ups) and minimal kid appeal (most of the laughter at my screening came from teens/adults). 

BH6, WiR, Frozen and Tangled all had hefty doses of kid-friendly comic relief and easy-to-understand plots. Zootopia doesn't really pander to little kids. 

Zootopia aims for an older demographic, which can be risky with animation, depending on marketing and WOM (HTTYD2 for example). 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, it's subtle. It addresses issues that very few movies acknowledge, and it's all under the guise of a cute funny animal story.

Hide contents

How about the moment where Judy reaches for her fox repellent after Nick chews her out for her press conference.

29 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

It's very bold to make an original $150 million animated caper with political/societal commentary, adult-skewing humor (almost all of the jokes rely on sarcasm, irony, puns or slow build-ups) and minimal kid appeal (most of the laughter at my screening came from teens/adults). 

BH6, WiR, Frozen and Tangled all had hefty doses of kid-friendly comic relief and easy-to-understand plots. Zootopia doesn't really pander to little kids. 

Zootopia aims for an older demographic, which can be risky with animation, depending on marketing and WOM (HTTYD2 for example). 

That's not really edgy though, plenty of animated movies have subtle messages. The topic of inclusion in society isn't anything new for an animated movie. IO dealt with depression while making it hilarious, that's a lot more edgier.

Edited by WrathOfHan

43 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Reveal hidden contents

Plenty of animated movies address social issues and aim their jokes and references at adults - so that parents can enjoy it too. I haven't seen Zootopia but by your description, there is nothing edgy about it.

Edited by Kung Fu Panda Tree
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Plenty of animated movies address social issues and aim their jokes and references at adults - so that parents can enjoy it too. I haven't seen Zootopia but by your description, there is nothing edgy about it.

But in Zootopia it is as if it is made for adults, not just the references but the entire plot, and there are just some things added to make the kids entertained as well.

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Edgy isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Zootopia. Intelligent, yes.

Edgy isn't any of the words that come to mind when I think of Zootopia :lol: