Bishop54

Weekend Thread: Grimsby Bros leads the way with massive 3.1M, 10CL has decent 25.2M, Zootopia crumbles to $50M ;) P.31

26 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Plenty of animated movies address social issues and aim their jokes and references at adults - so that parents can enjoy it too. I haven't seen Zootopia but by your description, there is nothing edgy about it.

Trust me, actually seeing Zootopia tends to influence your opinion about it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chinoiserie said:

But in Zootopia it is as if it is made for adults, not just the references but the entire plot, and there are just some things added to make the kids entertained as well.

Okay and how is that edgy?

I mean, Inside Out was a very adult film, that was less than a year ago. Come on, this is not something WDAS has invented with Zootopia.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Trust me, actually seeing Zootopia tends to influence your opinion about it.

Watching a film may influence my opinion of it?

NicCageFace.jpg

Edited by Kung Fu Panda Tree
  • Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

You were the one trying to judge if this film is edgy without even seeing it, dipshit.

I didn't say the film wasn't edgy, I said making an animated film appeal to adults is not edgy. Learn to read.

15 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Okay and how is that edgy?

I mean, Inside Out was a very adult film, that was less than a year ago. Come on, this is not something WDAS has invented with Zootopia.

I think it's just kind of a surprise that it's a Disney film these darker moments are coming from, partly influenced by the fact that the PG rating has become so diluted recently. It's a movie that actually earns that rating.

This'll sound silly but it may also be because the Judeochristian deity's name is used in vain three times in the movie. You don't usually hear that in Disney films.

Edited by tribefan695

50 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

I didn't say the film wasn't edgy, I said making an animated film appeal to adults is not edgy. Learn to read.

Learn to read this, [mod edit]:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/zootopia-20160303

The last thing you'd expect from a new Disney animated marshmallow is balls. But, hot damn, Zootopia comes ready to party hard. This baby has attitude, a potent feminist streak, a tough take on racism, and a  cinema-centric plot that references The Godfather, Chinatown and L.A. Confidential.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/zootopia-20160303#ixzz42u4Y4RGa 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

http://fusion.net/story/275485/zootopia-police-racism-race-relations-commentary/

Five minutes into the film, and after a few laughs, though, it became clear that beneath its clever puns Zootopia‘s actually a sharp-witted commentary on modern race relations.

Many commentators have noted that this film goes far beyond usual in appealing to an adult audience.

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

@cannastop Look, man, we all know you love the film, but there is a line of acceptable fanboyism and right now you're crossing it

Eh, I'm more frustrated at how obtuse that poster is. Not actually gonna stop if this person continues on the same line.

Edited by cannastop

40 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Edgy isn't any of the words that come to mind when I think of Zootopia :lol:

Oh man, really? You don't remember the 15 minute Cannibal Holocaust-style killing spree with Death Grips playing in the background? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Oh man, really? You don't remember the 15 minute Cannibal Holocaust-style killing spree with Death Grips playing in the background? 

I guess I missed it.

Having seen the film, it's not edgy, but the person who said it was adult type smart was right... Edgy was what Shrek 1 & 2 did before they become self-parodies of themselves with 3 & 4.

And seriously Cannastop, you will find low tolerance for a "newbie" that decides to play smart-ass know-it-all and you are really pressing that line with how you are behaving with this film. We want new members to be equal participants and contributors but you should be polite about it - if a moderator has to edit your post thats not a good way to win friends around here.

I like your enthusiasm but don't turn us regular posters against ya ;)

• Like 2