Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

4 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

Indeed. Mockingjay declined because they're releasing it every year, hence making the public tired of the franchise.

Whereas with Harry Potter, it managed to sustain interest since they were not releasing a film every year. There were some two year gaps, which was perfect for the public to miss Potter and get hyped again for another film.

I disagree, Twilight also released movies every year, and the numbers stayed basically the same from the second movie till the final one

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

That's was actually a bad idea, I heard A LOT of people at cinema asking if it was the final movie or don't, LMFAO

Yes, they really screwed up the marketing. A lot of people were unaware that it's not the final film and were very confused.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

No one was saying anything as low as 20M. There were predictions under 30M but none at 20M.

23 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Dude, you're always talking about this $20m prediction, but, I actually didn't see anyone saying this, bring me some evidences or I'm gonna start thinking that you're bringing these numbers from your head to make these numbers look not so horrible as they are

One person in the derby put down 20m

That counts as evidence:ph34r:

• Like 3

About the discussion about JLaw few pages ago: Jesus Christ, what the hell an actor needs to do to be considered a draw by people here? It seems that there are always a lot of excuses when a movie do well, to give credits to everyone, except for the actor, this is ridiculous, the only reason why Joy can't be considered a success is because of it's ridiculous budget, still, the movie did pretty well on it's own, it crossed $100m WW, and that's only thanks to JLaw's name, most of people didn't have idea about what the hell the movie was, thanks to the ridiculous marketing of Fox, still, it grossed more than acclaimed movies of the season like Spotlight, Room, Carol, Broklyn, movies that didn't fail to get the attention of critic like happened with Joy, I'm not diminishing the performance of these movies, they did pretty well too, especially because they had a lower budget, what I'm saying is that if wasn't for JLaw's name, this movie wouldn't have made half of what it did, it's ridiculous to give the credits of the solid numbers of this movie to anyone but her

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 8

I just feel like not making Ascendant at this point would be an even worse move for LG than making it and it doing worse than this.  Cut the budget in half and just get the thing done.  I mean, like I said, it's been marketed as a two part event and at this point seems like a sunk cost.  It would be an unprecedented move to go this far in and stop, all the other YA franchises were non-starters after the first entry (except Percy Jackson which barely got a sequel), so those made sense to drop.  

Lionsgate has already made a TON of really shitty decisions over the past few years, and I think it's a lesser of two evils to just get this over with.  The media will have a FIELD DAY with them if they stop now.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

The biggest draw movie of all time?

$233M  429m ww

Tom hanks talking to a volleyball for 2 hiours. Now thats draw.  With most actors its lucky to do 30m. Losing that volleyball was more visceral than most romantic dramedy tragic scenes. Hell that made me more sad than Leo clinging to that headboard like a frozen dead cat. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Pretty much everyone I knew also thought it was the last movie.

I watched a YouTube review last night where the girl was pissed at how they adapted the book and treated the ending to the story -- oblivious to the fact that there was going to be a fourth movie and thus this was not actually the ending. It would appear going into (and coming out of) this movie not realizing that it was only "part one" soured her impression of the whole thing.

9 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I just feel like not making Ascendant at this point would be an even worse move for LG than making it and it doing worse than this.  Cut the budget in half and just get the thing done.  I mean, like I said, it's been marketed as a two part event and at this point seems like a sunk cost.  It would be an unprecedented move to go this far in and stop, all the other YA franchises were non-starters after the first entry (except Percy Jackson which barely got a sequel), so those made sense to drop.  

Lionsgate has already made a TON of really shitty decisions over the past few years, and I think it's a lesser of two evils to just get this over with.  The media will have a FIELD DAY with them if they stop now.

Indeed, I don't see them dropping Ascendant. They would lose more face and damage their reputation more in admitting this failure than they will by the financial bomb it will turn out to be. They'll just do it just to get it over with, to "please the fans" or whatever and give the franchise closure since it's just one more. I read an article that likened this to the movie version of Netflix picking up a canceled network show just to finish out the series with one last season to give it and the fans closure. Just do it. No one's getting anything out of it and they might come up a little short in the end with the diminished, or outright lack of, profits, but they came this far and they might as well just cross the finish line and be done with the damn thing once and for all. With Lionsgate's foreign presale thing covering a chunk of their budgets upfront, they won't lose nearly as much on this sunk cost endeavor as other studios might -- because indeed I believe this time they will actually come up with a loss even after all the revenue streams are done. Just take the hit. With 3 out of 4 films already in the can, it's just silly not to just do the last one and it would make them look bad if they didn't.

Now, who wants to do an over/under for how many points Lionsgate's stock will drop tomorrow?

Edited by Nutterbutter
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

The biggest draw movie of all time?

$233M  429m ww

Tom hanks talking to a volleyball for 2 hiours. Now thats draw.  With most actors its lucky to do 30m. Losing that volleyball was more visceral than most romantic dramedy tragic scenes. Hell that made me more sad than Leo clinging to that headboard like a frozen dead cat. 

Yes yes!!! Tom Hanks is like the biggest box office draw during his peak. Like, I don't think anyone can top his one of a kind success.

• Like 1