Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hello, My Name is Doris is doing great in limited release. Get that indie hit, Sally Field!

I'm ready for the 2-time Oscar winning mother of Forrest Gump and wife of Mrs Doubtfire to have the comeback of the year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

Looks like 'Hello, My Name is Doris' is going to turn into a sleeper hit. 

It looks hilarious (the final scene in the trailer of her and Tyne Daly arguing: :lol:) so I hope it continues to catch on.

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

About the discussion about JLaw few pages ago: Jesus Christ, what the hell an actor needs to do to be considered a draw by people here? It seems that there are always a lot of excuses when a movie do well, to give credits to everyone, except for the actor, this is ridiculous, the only reason why Joy can't be considered a success is because of it's ridiculous budget, still, the movie did pretty well on it's own, it crossed $100m WW, and that's only thanks to JLaw's name, most of people didn't have idea about what the hell the movie was, thanks to the ridiculous marketing of Fox, still, it grossed more than acclaimed movies of the season like Spotlight, Room, Carol, Broklyn, movies that didn't fail to get the attention of critic like happened with Joy, I'm not diminishing the performance of these movies, they did pretty well too, especially because they had a lower budget, what I'm saying is that if wasn't for JLaw's name, this movie wouldn't have made half of what it did, it's ridiculous to give the credits of the solid numbers of this movie to anyone but her

The Big Short: 69M (2,529 theatres)

Joy: 56M (2,924 theatres)

Spotlight: 43M (1,227 theatres)

Brooklyn: 38M (947 theatres)

Take into account how wide the releases were and  Spotlight and Brooklyn both more popular than Joy. Big Short objectively grossed more. So don't claim that it did better than all the acclaimed movies of the holidays.

Edited by Kung Fu Panda Tree
  • Like 1

70M looks tough for ALLEGIANT.

Even 2.4x leaves it at 69.72M.

Considering DIVERGENT did 2.76x and INSURGENT dropped to 2.49x, I don't think this one can manage 2.4x.

@Mockingjay Raphael's ALLEGIANT under PERCY JACKSON 2 ($68,559,554) club has become lot more fun.

4 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Take into account how wide the releases were and  Spotlight and Brooklyn both more popular than Joy. Big Short objectively grossed more. So don't claim that it did better than all the acclaimed movies of the holidays.

If they went straight to wide they probably wouldn't open with 17-18M and if they never reached the 2000 theaters it is because it was never worth it to expand them to that number of theaters. So that part is simply not true.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

There's a reason why they could not open wider without awards buzz and positive reception.

If JOY was received like these movies it would have gone over 100m dom.

That JOY did comparable business despite bad reception and got such a wide release is in good part due to JLaw.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

There's a reason why they could not open wider without awards buzz and positive critical reception.

If JOY was received like these movies it would have gone over 100m dom.

That JOY did comparable business despite bad reception and got such a wide release is in good part due to JLaw.

well yeah, obviously Jennifer Lawrence is the reason it made that money. no one is denying that she has star power. She's one of the biggest actors on the planet at the moment.