CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Reviews help/hurt people on the bubble. Diehards will see a movie regardless... and for better or worse DC/Batman/Superman have a lot of diehards. I guess we'll see how many.

There has been a big range in the series of both historically, amazing how quickly you can dismiss Batman & Robin. Diehards didn't flock to it.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Reviews help/hurt people on the bubble. Diehards will see a movie regardless... and for better or worse DC/Batman/Superman have a lot of diehards. I guess we'll see how many.

We've seen from films like Hail Caesar and many other critically acclaimed films which just don't click with audiences. My non film examples of Les Miserables and Wicked which got negative and mixed reviews when they opened but both clicked wth audiences and became hugely successful. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Thor: 181M

Iron Man 2: 312M

X-Men Origins: 179M

Iron Man: 318M

Spider-Man 3: 336M

Mission Impossible III: 134M

Van Helsing: 120M

X2: 214M

Spider Man: 403M

Mummy Returns: 202M

Gladiator: 187M

The Mummy: 155M

You know, come to think of it, I think The Mummy basically made the start of May officially be considered the start of the summer movie season.

I would argue it was the fear of Star Wars that pushed Summer to the start of May.  Both Mummy in 1999 and Spider-Man in 2002 [edited] opened the first weekend in May to give a two week buffer between themselves and Episodes I & II.    But SM especially showed that weekend had untapped potential, and it's beem the summer kick-off weekend ever since.   Well, except for the year that Fast 5 decided to drop the last weekend in April.  

Edited by M37
factual error

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lol. 

Things are not as black or white as you think. Everyone I knew, knew Deadpool before the release of the movie and the trailers were very appealing. Nobody gave a shit about Green Lantern and the trailers weren't exactly good either. We just didn't realize how popular Deadpool really was. It was gonna open huge regardless of the reviews.

Green Lantern had a pretty good OD. It was the insanely bad WOM that killed it. Deadpool was riding on an immense amount of hype and the reviews only helped. But in the end, reviews didn't make much of a difference in the OW of either of them. After OW it was the WOM that killed GL and made Deadpool reach the 350M DOM.

Marketing is what it is all about for the OW of a movie. WOM is what it is all about for the legs of a movie.

Reviews matter in the last minute marketing push that happens every time on social media which is the most powerful source of buzz these days.

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

There has been a big range in the series of both historically, amazing how quickly you can dismiss Batman & Robin. Diehards didn't flock to it.

For its opening weekend, they sure did. Sure, 40m in '97 wasn't a record-breaker, but it wasn't anything to sneeze at either.

• Like 3

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Reviews matter in the last minute marketing push that happens every time on social media which is the most powerful source of buzz these days.

You know what killed The Devil Inside? WOM spread like fire on social media. That 6% on RT mattered 0% as the movie still had a monster OD.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

For its opening weekend, they sure did. Sure, 40m in '97 wasn't a record-breaker, but it wasn't anything to sneeze at either.

Batman Forever had mixed reviews but still ended up outgrossing Batman Returns

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Playing the outlier game is fun.

I am just giving you examples. There are tons of examples that contradict other examples. TMNT had brutal reviews but fantastic WOM and the brutal reviews meant 0. Green Lantern had awful reviews and a great OD but the WOM killed it. And we can go on and on about this. There is an example for pretty much every case. Things are not as black and white as you think they are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am just giving you examples. There are tons of examples that contradict other examples. TMNT had brutal reviews but fantastic WOM and the brutal reviews meant 0. Green Lantern had awful reviews and a great OD but the WOM killed it. And we can go on and on about this. There is an example for pretty much every case. Things are not as black and white as you think they are.

It's just silly to minimize the correlation between critical reviews & audience WOM when it clearly exists.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Sure, I'm not arguing WOM after opening weekend. I think now, more than ever, you have these diehard fans who'll see the next movie in their franchise no matter what... and a huge number of them see it as soon as they possibly can, regardless of what other people say.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, I'm not arguing WOM after opening weekend.

WOM matters towards OW as well do you agree or not? I understand many diehards make plans to see staples (through presales etc) that's clearly proven correct. Having said that, look at how well the buzz built positively for Deadpool/TA.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's just silly to minimize the correlation between critical reviews & audience WON when it clearly exists.

Again, TMNT has a 21% on RT and had amazing legs, the first Transformers is rotten and it is one of the most beloved blockbusters of the past few years, Divergent has a goddamn 40% rating on RT and had pretty good legs as well, Batman Forever was pretty well received at his time and carries an impressive 41% rating.

On the other end of the spectrum, recently released Hail Caesar was poorly received but the GA but has an over 80% rating, Everest had pretty poor legs while carrying a 72% fresh rating, two more examples of the Fall are The Walk (it never took off despite his impressive 85% rating on RT) and Crimson Peak (good reviews, poor opening, terrible legs followed).

I can continue this forever.

Sometimes that correlation exists, sometimes it doesn't. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Critic reviews were less prominent in those days, and WOM didn't spread as fast as it does now. Fant4stic is a movie that could have done okish to meh numbers before the age of social media. But even disregarding that, Forever made more money because it was a more fun movie. BvS seems to be closer to Returns in tone and atmosphere, which looks to appeal to  a very specific audience if were putting it lightly. 

Edited by TrendyWiz7

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Again, TMNT has a 21% on RT and had amazing legs, the first Transformers is rotten and it is one of the most beloved blockbusters of the past few years, Divergent has a goddamn 40% rating on RT and had pretty good legs as well, Batman Forever was pretty well received at his time and carries an impressive 41% rating.

On the other end of the spectrum, recently released Hail Caesar was poorly received but the GA but has an over 80% rating, Everest had pretty poor legs while carrying a 72% fresh rating, two more examples of the Fall are The Walk (it never took over despite his impressive 85% rating on RT) and Crimson Peak (good reviews, poor opening, terrible legs followed).

I can continue this forever.

Sometimes that correlation exists, sometimes it doesn't. 

Ok then I'm flat out saying you are wrong and overall it does exist. There are always outliers in any sample.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Ok then I'm flat out saying you are wrong and overall it does exist. There are always outliers in any sample.

You are insane :rofl: 

You are the one wrong here. I give you real examples that prove what I am saying. You have no counter so you say that :rofl::rofl::rofl: That is just a sad defeat. 

• Like 3