CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

More like $25M but it's doing what it should be doing. Which is make all the money.

When was the last time a kids film made 40% of weekend on the Friday? Why would it not increase for sat and sun..?

10 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

What exactly is it?  They poll an entire theater of moviegoers on opening night, at maybe four or five different theaters around the country?

It's not even remotely close to trying to be a decent demographic representation of national movie-going audiences. They don't even make sure they use theaters from every major region.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Not sure about that. THG made $10m in IMAX on opening weekend. Probably had a decent amount of PLF too. No 3D boost though.

I'm not saying it did, I'm saying it's possible given how close it is to DMC on that list. Although there is no ? DMC sold more tickets than THG.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's not even remotely close to trying to be a decent demographic representation of national movie-going audiences. They don't even make sure they use theaters from every major region.

Letter grades as data are notoriously upside biased. The accuracy is really suspect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MARTHA!!!!!!!!! said:

When was the last time a kids film made 40% of weekend on the Friday? Why would it not increase for sat and sun..?

Because of how Easter weekend behaves. Saturday reduces from Friday numbers and Sunday reduces further (except for Christian themed movies)

• Like 4

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Letter grades as data are notoriously upside biased. The accuracy is really suspect.

Yeah... plus, sample size. 400-500 people, from three (!) cities doesn't come anywhere close to a decent representative sample, to say nothing of the fact CS doesn't account for fanbases, genres, etc. It's A-grade bullshit that's been effectively peddled by a company that's managed to work its name into the conversation of actual box-office/movie analysis.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Sal said:

I don't get the kneejerk reactions among a lot of comic book fans.  Disliking a movie doesn't mean you're a troll for the other 'team'.  Yet the response to any criticism in the thread seems to be "you're just a Marvel fanboy".  Because clearly there's no other possible reason to dislike this movie.

I have always considered myself more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan.  I pick up way more DC Comics, I watch every DC animated movie that comes out.  I was - and still am - a tremendous fan of BTAS and JL/JLU (and really, everything Timm/Dini produce).  One of my biggest comic influences is Dwayne McDuffie (I was inconsolable for a long while after he died).  I even loved the cartoon version of Teen Titans.  I can't think of a Marvel cartoon I've watched in its entirety since the old X-Men series.  When it comes to the movies, I liked GotG, Ant-Man and the first Captain America and was middling on just about everything else.  So believe me when I say that I don't go into a film like this hoping it'll be bad.  I mean that's just a ridiculous thing to hope for.  If this movie is bad, then I'll never get my JL movie I want so badly, and if they can't make a decent movie with Batman and Superman, two of the biggest names in DC, then I don't have any chance of seeing some of my more obscure DC faves, like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, making their big-screen debuts.

I want to believe this movie is something I would like... but I don't believe it based on what I've seen in trailers and heard about both from critics and fans (both what they liked and didn't like).  I'm already not super huge on Zack Snyder's movies, finding that they tend to favour style over substance.  It's kind of like Michael Bay, but if Michael Bay wasn't obsessed with explosions and ball-jokes and was instead a hipster art student who really likes using colour filters on everything.  He seems to have no real ability to pick a story or show characterization, much less to show characterization consistent with what I've enjoyed in the comics.  

I think I would have liked this movie in someone else's hands.  The majority of the cast sounds great to me and I've heard nothing but good things about Affleck as Batman.  But given my personal experience with Snyder's films AND the criticisms I've heard that mostly confirm that this has those same elements, I don't want to see it.  And based on these factors, I'm pretty confident that watching it 'to give it a chance' isn't going to do anything but waste $30-$40 that I can't easily spare.  

Stating that I don't like it, in this case, has nothing to do with liking or not liking other Marvel/DC movies, and everything to do with past experiences, my knowledge of my own taste in movies and the reviews I've seen/heard.  Could I be wrong?  Yeah.  I'll probably watch it at some point when one of my friends inevitably gets the Blu-Ray.  If so, I'll be delightfully surprised.  Until then I'm not going out of my way.

TL;DR: Disliking this movie doesn't make you a DC Hater/Marvel troll.  People need to learn that there's more reasons to dislike something than because you're a fan of the competition.  That kind of back and forth discussion and accusation is really kind of pointless, isn't it?

For real, all of this. So many people are looking to start shit that doesn't even exist in the first place.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Because of how Easter weekend behaves. Saturday reduces from Friday numbers and Sunday reduces further (except for Christian themed movies)

So that means Deadpool should have a strong hold for Sunday. ;););)

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah... plus, sample size. 400-500 people, from three (!) cities doesn't come anywhere close to a decent representative sample, to say nothing of the fact CS doesn't account for fanbases, genres, etc. It's A-grade bullshit that's been effectively peddled by a company that's managed to work its name into the conversation of actual box-office/movie analysis.

Have you ever actually filled out a CinemaScore card though? I did once and it was so exciting lol.

• Like 1

One day, fanboys will realize that the audiences for DC and Marvel films are 99.99% the same exact people. My showing, which had scattered clapping for Superman, Batman, the batmobile, and kryptonite, exploded when Spider-Man showed up in the CW trailer. Studios sure don't care about it either: the better the competition does, the more exposure their films tend to get thanks to trailer attachments.

• Like 5