CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I have seen it. The GA will eat it up. My crowd was vibrating with it. I was honestly surprised. TF and Potter movies have weak legs but it doesn't matter, the sequels always keep making money. This franchise will be the same. 

You think we looking at a Jurassic World situation as far as forum opinions go?

The people who do not understand the power reviews have in the 21st century seem to not get how the world works in said century. Look at how crazy people can get over them period, some more emotional than the movies themselves. There are certain films less affected than others for various timeframes but there are very few staples (if any) that can have great legs on a bad RT score. The correlation exists no matter how some will tell you "reviews don't matter at all."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

No, of course not. But assuming it gets upwards of 170m on OW -- which is an assumption, but not a huge reach -- even pretty shitty legs get it to a fairly impressive total. Maybe not as impressive as if it had gotten a good reception, but money is money.

However,  having a base film to create an entire universe that is polarizing limits future growth imo.

That is the big flaw to me of Batman vs Superman. 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

No, of course not. But assuming it gets upwards of 170m on OW -- which is an assumption, but not a huge reach -- even pretty shitty legs get it to a fairly impressive total. Maybe not as impressive as if it had gotten a good reception, but money is money.

They are trying to start a multi year universe, this thing will be scrutinized like no other regardless how much over the profit line on this single film. Perception will matter so much.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baumer said:

My point is simple Lordman....this is a fanboy driven film just like Potter is and just like Twilight is and just like Transformers is and just like SW and Hunger Games and LOTR and so on.  Critics don't matter much to these films.  

Unless you're Divergent apparently lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

You think we looking at a Jurassic World situation as far as forum opinions go?

Nah, legs won't be that good. Legs will be closer to something like Ultron, or even Potter or TF.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

They are trying to start a multi year universe, this thing will be scrutinized like no other regardless how much over the profit line on this single film. Perception will matter so much.

If they chance the director to someone beloved like nolan or miller, who is already a producer, and WW and SS are loved then there will be no resounding issue they will give Affleck all the money to make a batman solo film and that will be great will proably out open this if the reveiws are good

• Like 1

Yes money is money but quality is more important to the viewer. People don't watch films because they have made money for the studio or because they have broken records. They watch because they are invested in the characters and the story, something the mcu has done an amazing job at. So far the DCEU has 2 films with very questionable quality which doesn't bode well going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

However,  having a base film to create an entire universe that is polarizing limits future growth imo.

That is the big flaw to me of Batman vs Superman. 

Maybe. But there is a huge leap in assuming that anger and frustration towards Snyder's movies automatically extend towards the entire universe. SUICIDE SQUAD will be the first test -- I know it's not in the direct timeline of BVS/JL but it still features major DC characters -- and WW will be the first huge test. But Snyder is not making WW and with any cinematic universe there's a huge range of styles and attitudes you can take while still making it feel part of an organic whole.

Will the DCU feel like that organic whole? I dunno.

Will JL bear the brunt of BVS's reception? Probably. But even then you're basically looking at a situation like going from PJ's LOTR to PJ's HOBBIT. It's an awful lot of money to make.

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I don't see BvS's reviews making a jot of difference to Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman, both films will stand on their own merits.

BvS is only gonna help Wonder Woman. I am 100% sure about that.

• Like 2