CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Usually reviews only push me away from seeing a movie in the theater if they're bad enough (Gods of Egypt's did that for me). BvS's reviews aren't really bad enough to justify me not seeing it opening night.

I try to check out any movie that sounds interesting to me no matter the reviews, especially once it comes out on digital. I recently saw the indie dramedy "See You In Valhalla" which has a 0%! on Rotten Tomatoes - it's not a good movie but it doesn't deserve the scathing it got at all.

Edited by department store basement

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just checked Cineword (UK) via their app.

They have 107 midnight showings and they're all sold out. These are strictly 00.05 and 00.15 showings. 

107/107.

www1.cineworld.co.uk

update: there's a double bill with MOS in IMAX that isn't sold out yet.

so 107/108

Wow. That is great!

I noticed something here, don't know if it's the same in other countries, but the presales seem to be spread very evenly across the whole weekend. As an example, this is the 8PM showtime from a theatre in Timisoara (probably the biggest city when it comes to BO after the capital) on Thursday (today), Fri, Sat, Sun.

Thursday

hfoOnKN.png

Friday

CacOVcy.png

Saturday

BpLISht.png

Sunday

DIRTnnm.png

Usually big movies have heavy presales for Friday, but checking multiple theaters across the country I see that Saturday has way more sales.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

My point is simple Lordman....this is a fanboy driven film just like Potter is and just like Twilight is and just like Transformers is and just like SW and Hunger Games and LOTR and so on.  Critics don't matter much to these films.  

Look, I think you're seeing things in black and white. Take Potter for example...the first 7 films all ranged between 78%-91% on RT...if for some reason DH2 got 55% then that's an obvious sign something is off. Would that mean DH2 becomes my least favorite? Of course not, but critics a lot of times are not far from the mainstream. 

Twilight and Transformers were the only franchises that don't rely on reviews much. But Potter, SW, LoTR, and THG are different stories where critical reception can have an effect (not big, but some) because millions of people who don't care about box office do look at RT.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, James said:

I noticed something here, don't know if it's the same in other countries, but the presales seem to be spread very evenly across the whole weekend. As an example, this is the 8PM showtime from a theatre in Timisoara (probably the biggest city when it comes to BO after the capital) on Thursday (today), Fri, Sat, Sun.

Thursday

hfoOnKN.png

Friday

CacOVcy.png

Saturday

BpLISht.png

Sunday

DIRTnnm.png

Usually big movies have heavy presales for Friday, but checking multiple theaters across the country I see that Saturday has way more sales.

I follow around 20 theaters here.

Compared to other mega openers pre sales are Friday heavy but it's Good Friday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Cannot believe I will finally see Wonder Woman in action on the big screen!!!! :)

You poor thing. The only person in this forum I feel bad for is you. Such a shame Wonder Woman debuts in a supposedly clusterfuck of a film.

40 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Look, I think you're seeing things in black and white. Take Potter for example...the first 7 films all ranged between 78%-91% on RT...if for some reason DH2 got 55% then that's an obvious sign something is off. Would that mean DH2 becomes my least favorite? Of course not, but critics a lot of times are not far from the mainstream. 

Twilight and Transformers were the only franchises that don't rely on reviews much. But Potter, SW, LoTR, and THG are different stories where critical reception can have an effect (not big, but some) because millions of people who don't care about box office do look at RT.

Yeah Marvels GOTG, TA and IM1 are the only films in the MCU to have a multiplier of 3 (correct me if im wrong) and they all scored over 90% with critics. Critic reviews tend to be perfectly inline with audiences when it comes to CBM's. Also given the internet as it is today, its clear reviews to help or hinder a films performance (depending on the film of course). If BvS makes 200m this weekend, it will just make me wonder how much more it would have made if reviews were fantastic.  

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 3

Reviews definitely help CBM's. My 4 mates are no longer bothered about watching this with me, they said they will wait for a torrent to download. Its one of the only high profile films in recently memory i cant get anyone to see with me, cant be a good sign. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jessie said:

If BvS makes 200m this weekend, it will just make me wonder how much more it would have made if reviews were fantastic. 

I disagree with that. This movie will make whatever amount its poised to make in its opening weekend regardless of the reviews.

If it hits $200 million, it wasnt because of reviews. If it hits $100 million, it wasnt because of the reviews.

I have never met a person that have said I will not see this movie because a movie critic didnt like it or gave it a bad review (people here are posting this, but it's bull***). In fact, it's the opposite. If they are interesting in seeing the movie, they will go no matter what.

However, if a friend or family member tells you he/she didnt like it or the movie stinks, then we're having a completely different conversation.

Someone you know or trust gave you his/her opinion. That changes thing.

It's called WOM.

Movie critics don't dictate the opening weekend of a movie. If the interest is there and is high, the movie will open big no matter what.

Now, where is BvS interest among general audience?

We will see.