CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Just now, John Marston said:

agreed but it is pretty obvious the horrible reviews hurt it. If they were on the level of MOS level then it probably wouldn't matter but a 29% rating indicates a total stinker (a rating which I don't agree with by the way)

29% isn't the rating, 5/10 is.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

yes. Deadpool might also beat Civil War and definitely beat X-Men Apocalypse. I don't get it

It will crush Fox-Men. But Captain America: Civil War will be THE biggest blockbuster of the year. And yes, over $200m OW is happening, the signs are already there for those actually paying attention. It's the Deadpool/BvS situation all over again, imho. The same people pointing out WHY one was going to over perform and the other under perform. We are getting a GREAT grasp at this in 2016. Actually proud of been among them, we are not myths like Baumer, but the new generation of BOT box office pundits are kicking ass. :D

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It s quite disheartening.

Deadpool has an actual shot at being the number 1 superhero movie in America in 2016.

:(

It won't be. An astonishing second place though. And GREATLY deserved, mind you. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

The highest March opening of all time. 

the first ever batman vs superman movie on the big screen, that is supposed to set up the DC universe, had the highest march opening..

wow.. WB must be jumping in joy..

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

With that said, I disagree with Tele and Batman's inclusion was obviously reactive to MoS underwhelming box office AND public reception.

Huh? Were you taking my reply to Futurist to mean this? I was talking more about his opinion of what he felt the process was.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Huh? Were you taking my reply to Futurist to mean this? I was talking more about his opinion of what he felt the process was.

My bad then, it was a generic reply so I assumed that you meant they thinking the general audiences are stupid wasn't something at play there. :P

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yes, it happens fairly regularly. In terms of over/under-estimation, some of the biggest were ATTACK OF THE CLONES and SCREAM 2. Both were over-estimated by 8m or so (going off memory).

Cool thanks for the info. I'm not a die-hard/good BO analyst (tend to drift in and out as movies that interest me are released) but was always used to BOMojo estimates and then actuals with no in between.

6 minutes ago, John Wars said:

the first ever batman vs superman movie on the big screen, that is supposed to set up the DC universe, had the highest march opening..

wow.. WB must be jumping in joy..

Many of us have stated as such but have been told that we don't understand and that it's a fantastic start to the universe. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It will crush Fox-Men. But Captain America: Civil War will be THE biggest blockbuster of the year. And yes, over $200m OW is happening, the signs are already there for those actually paying attention. It's the Deadpool/BvS situation all over again, imho. The same people pointing out WHY one was going to over perform and the other under perform. We are getting a GREAT grasp at this in 2016. Actually proud of been among them, we are not myths like Tele, but the new generation of BOT box office pundits are kicking ass. :D

Fixed that for ya. No doubt @Baumer is deeply hurt right now you referred to him as a myth.

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

My bad then, it was a generic reply so I assumed that you meant they thinking the general audiences are stupid wasn't something at play there. :P

I was, but that doesn't have anything to do with multiple superheroes or not. The whole "oh, audiences are stupid so we'll be able to just slip it by them" is not a part of any serious creative concept. Filmmakers (including producers and creative execs) just don't take that approach. Like I mentioned before, it's a fallacy that's really common here (and on other fan-sites) that a result should be equated with effort or intent.

11 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It will crush Fox-Men. But Captain America: Civil War will be THE biggest blockbuster of the year. And yes, over $200m OW is happening, the signs are already there for those actually paying attention. It's the Deadpool/BvS situation all over again, imho. The same people pointing out WHY one was going to over perform and the other under perform. We are getting a GREAT grasp at this in 2016. Actually proud of been among them, we are not myths like Baumer, but the new generation of BOT box office pundits are kicking ass. :D

I believe that also - its the one I'm most psyched for and if the rumours of it testing incredibly well are true it should open huge.

OTOH - anything could happen - it might get savaged a la BvS. The idea of Deadpool being King of the CBMs for 2016 is pretty fun :-)

At any rate I'll take good over big.

Top engagements 25-27/3
all BvS

1-AMC Empire 25 NYC
2-AMC Garden State Paramus NJ
3-AMC Burbank 30
4-ST Palladium, San Antonio TX
5-AMC Lincoln Square, NYC
6-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA
7-AMC Gull Pointe 30, houston TX
8-Regal Kaufman Astoria, Astoria NY
9-Regal New Roc City New Rochelle NY
10-Cobb Dolphin , Miami FL
11-Regal Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn NY
12-Regal Ontario Palace, Ontario CA
(combined with Mills 30 would be #2)
13-Regal Irvine Spectrum Irvine CA
14-Regal Union Square, NYC
15-Pac Arclight Hollywood
16-Regal LA Live Stadium
17-AMc 34st , NYC
18-AMC Orange, Orange CA
19-ST Palladium , Richmond TX
20-Regal Marq, Houston TX

Top Canada
1-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto , 2-CPLX Cinema Banque Montreal, 3-CPLX Scotiabank Calgary

Edited by Rth
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fixed that for ya. No doubt @Baumer is deeply hurt right now you referred to him as a myth.

Tele is good but as far as I know he was never really much of a predictor like Baumer. Back when I started here, he was a fucking monster getting predictions right. I've managed to predict Deadpool blowing up and BvS going for around $165m-$167m, I hope to keep my streak through the year with all the blockbusters. Next target is Captain America: Civil War, current prediction: $215m OW. Yes, I went there. Let's see how my prediction skills hold up. :P

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I was, but that doesn't have anything to do with multiple superheroes or not. The whole "oh, audiences are stupid so we'll be able to just slip it by them" is not a part of any serious creative concept. Filmmakers (including producers and creative execs) just don't take that approach. Like I mentioned before, it's a fallacy that's really common here (and on other fan-sites) that a result should be equated with effort or intent.

It was obviously reactionary. Snyder was on quote (literal YouTube interview) that he'd rather make Man of Steel 2 an evolution of Superman before we meeting new characters like Batman. It was a WB call, and it was made very obvious back then. Dismissing it as a fan site fallacy is actually somewhat insulting for those that actually keep tabs on how these productions go. 

9 minutes ago, Rth said:

Top engagements 25-27/3
all BvS

1-AMC Empire 25 NYC
2-AMC Garden State Paramus NJ
3-AMC Burbank 30
4-ST Palladium, San Antonio TX
5-AMC Lincoln Square, NYC
6-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA
7-AMC Gull Pointe 30, houston TX
8-Regal Kaufman Astoria, Astoria NY
9-Regal New Roc City New Rochelle NY
10-Cobb Dolphin , Miami FL
11-Regal Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn NY
12-Regal Ontario Palace, Ontario CA
(combined with Mills 30 would be #2)
13-Regal Irvine Spectrum Irvine CA
14-Regal Union Square, NYC
15-Pac Arclight Hollywood
16-Regal LA Live Stadium
17-AMc 34st , NYC
18-AMC Orange, Orange CA
19-ST Palladium , Richmond TX
20-Regal Marq, Houston TX

Top Canada
1-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto , 2-CPLX Cinema Banque Montreal, 3-CPLX Scotiabank Calgary

Washington State seemed awfully quiet this weekend. Even the Boeing IMAX wasn't selling out all of its shows. Any theaters from here even make it in the top 50, Rth?