kayumanggi

Monday Numbers: 15.05 M BVS | About a 55% drop, better than F7 Easter Monday. EPIC CJohn meltdown starts Page 18.

Deadline has decided to just go ahead and calculate BvS's profitability after it has been in theaters for 4 days

http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-opening-weekend-box-office-records-1201726300/

Batman V Superman Profit Projection

THUMB STREAM COSTS REVENUE PROFIT
bvs-21584rv5.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Domestic B.O.   $375M  
bvs-ct-01101.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Foreign B.O.   $450M  
bvs-fp-0981.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 China B.O.   $100M  
bvs-20305.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Worldwide B.O.   $925M  
bvs-ct-0047.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Est. Domestic Rental   $206.3M  
bvs-27172-cc.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Est. Foreign Rental   $180M  
photo-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 China Rental   $25M  
batman-v-superman-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281 Global Home Entertainment & SVOD   $260M  
bvs-02091-cc.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Global TV   $135M  
batman-v-superman1.jpg?resize=500%2C281& Total Revenues   $806.3M  
bv-23.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Production Cost $250M    
bvs-22.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Global P&A $165M    
bvs-03097-cc.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Global Home Entertainment Costs $91M    
wwoman.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Participations, Residuals, Off-The-Tops $92.4M    
batman-v-superman.png?resize=500%2C281&w Total Costs $598.4M    
bvs-43036r1.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=970 Total Profits $207.9M    

100M in participation will be paid out, I guess that will be between Affleck, Nolan, Roven and the Kane, Seigel and Shuster estates. Don't see anyone else having participation points in this. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

It's not unexpected - that was my point :) - Same as when it drops below a million next monday (because of an -85% fall) - it will be behaving normal for a film released at this time of year.

And not a wet blanket - I am glad it's doing well and am excited that Disney will get only their second 300m animated film outside of Frozen in the past 20 years as a Disney fan that makes me happy.

I personally think it's a quirky little factoid that its fourth Monday is its biggest. I think you're downplaying the significance of Zootopia's longevity. It made more on its 25th day than Home did on its 11th day.

17 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Well, it is an actual thing in Europe. :lol:

And many parts of the world. Easter isn't a fixed date though, it changes from year to year.

Good Friday and Easter Monday is a major holiday in other parts of the world.

• Like 1

Well you can think all you want. But I'm telling you as a fact it did not have to break a billion dollars to break even. That's just the way it is.

I mean if you want to start talking actual dollars and sense like I said there's more to this film than just an actual gross. They need this film to launch the rest of their properties, then there's all of the merchandising. Then there's home video then there's television rights than theirs worldwide rights worldwide television worldwide home video worldwide pay-per-view and so on and so on. You can't just look at one tiny spec of what the film is doing to determine whether or not it's profitable.

3 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

I think it does.

Minimum 250 production + 150 advertising + (at least) 100 participation (thats an expensive cast! Snyder isn't cheap either!). Thats 500M. Then considering theatre/studio split of BO revenues are either 50/50 domestic or 60/40 overseas, sometimes even worse for studios in China, 1B may be necessary. 

There's no way that whole cast is getting close to $100m. I'd say Affleck is getting 10m at the most.

2 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

I think it does.

Minimum 250 production + 150 advertising + (at least) 100 participation (thats an expensive cast! Snyder isn't cheap either!). Thats 500M. Then considering theatre/studio split of BO revenues are either 50/50 domestic or 60/40 overseas, sometimes even worse for studios in China, 1B may be necessary. 

The marketing costs were pretty much covered by marketing partners. MoS had grabbed 170M in marketing crossovers, BvS did a lot more but we don't have the exact numbers

BvS would seem to set a new bar for superhero movies in terms of co-brands, with Warners scoring 130 partners worldwide. A key player was Turkish Airlines, which has never before worked with a Hollywood studio. The airline paid for a Super Bowl spot and made TV, print, outdoor and online spends in more than 40 international markets. Doritos and Chrysler also made a global push, including a co-branded Jeep Renegade ad featuring Affleck in character as Bruce Wayne.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deadline has decided to just go ahead and calculate BvS's profitability after it has been in theaters for 4 days

http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-opening-weekend-box-office-records-1201726300/

100M in participation will be paid out, I guess that will be between Affleck, Nolan, Roven and the Kane, Seigel and Shuster estates. Don't see anyone else having participation points in this. 

Wait, deadline is predicting a worldwide gross of less than $900 million for BvS?

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Don't forget Bill Finger. Finally credited after almost 80 years. Bob Kane was a damned crook. That said, if it's making that kind of money just from box office (and that's with a conservative estimate on overseas grosses), then WB will be pretty happy. Toys and other merchandise is probably huge for a property like this. All of that is pretty much very sweet icing on the cake, unless you are Sony and only own the film rights while Marvel rakes in all the merchandise cash on Spider-Man. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Wait, deadline is predicting a worldwide gross of less than $900 million for BvS?

They are saying that even with a WW gross less than 900M, they will still make a profit of 200M or more. Basically, they have gone with bargain basement numbers for grosses and higher end estimates for budget and marketing spend.

• Like 1

And that's it for my Cameo appearance. I seriously cannot stand being in here sometimes. Some of the stuff is posted here it just blows my mind away.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Don't forget Bill Finger. Finally credited after almost 80 years. Bob Kane was a damned crook. That said, if it's making that kind of money just from box office (and that's with a conservative estimate on overseas grosses), then WB will be pretty happy. Toys and other merchandise is probably huge for a property like this. All of that is pretty much very sweet icing on the cake, unless you are Sony and only own the film rights while Marvel rakes in all the merchandise cash on Spider-Man. lol

I still don't understand Sony's logic on that. That was the stupidest, most boneheaded deal anyone ever thought up. I mean even Fox has merchandise rights to X-Men (which is why Marvel and Disney don't release any X-Men merchandise), Fox must be making a tidy little profit from Deadpool merchandise as well. Sony was just beyond stupid.

• Like 2

And as we all know when there is a major tent pole like Batman vs. Superman or the force awakens for Spider-Man 3 for Pirates of the Caribbean 3 or Harry Potter part 25 they all have massive budgets and a massive marketing budget as well. Some of you guys posing and stop acting like this is the first film in the history of films to ever spend 350 million dollars.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No, they count China separate due to the fact Hollywood only gets 25% of the revenue from China in exchange for the Chinese government covering the distribution cost. So they are giving it $550m overseas (including $100m from China) and $375m domestic for a $925m worldwide total. I figure it should be able to at least get past $600m overseas, probably even match or exceed TDKR's $636m. But it's also by no means a guarantee to reach $375m domestic. Could go $20-25m lower than that if legs are bad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm not taking into account ancillary mediums (home video etc) because there's no way of predicting how well that will do. I have no doubts that home video + merchandising will make the franchise profitable.

BUT the film will struggle to break even on Box Office revenues. Deadline estimates say as much. ~500M cost not including home video production. That requires 1B to break even. A studio like WB, with a film like BvS, should not be in the red after BO and relying on ancillary mediums to put them over the line.

7 minutes ago, aliadiere29 said:

There's no way that whole cast is getting close to $100m. I'd say Affleck is getting 10m at the most.

Deadline estimates Participations, Residuals, Off-The-Tops to be $92.4M.

42 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

folks who think Disney is conspiring are nutjobs however critics themselves refuse to accept a grim version of superman if given a choice between donnerverse and snyderverse . They refuse to accept a version of batman who can pull a gun trigger at a person and they refuse to accept movies which are serious and not fun. This is why you see movies like Thor 2 or iron man 3 which were as 'bad' as bvs but rated very highly because they review the movie not the tone or the character traits for such films. I think for critics there is a litmus test of what the tone or character traits should be for them to then review the movie 

This is nuts. 

A litmus test? Do you simply not grasp the concept that some (or occasionally even many) people have different tastes than you? Your disagreement doesn't invalidate their opinion any more than theirs invalidates yours. 

• Like 7

Its not that simple syntax.... the studio does not need to double its money in order to break even. That's not how it works.

For example and this is just one example, a studio in the first two weeks of a release gets anywhere between 75 and 90% of the gross from a theater. There are all kinds of things that go on in the movie business that nerds like us don't have any true gradp of. We think we do but we don't. Those who actually work in the industry know a whole lot better than we do and I have spoken to a few of them as have a few others and it is definitely not a 2 to 1 ratio for a studio to break even.

• Like 4

And for chrissakes it's been 4 days now. And some of you are still on this Merry-Go-Round of how the movie sucks or how it wont break even or how it's going to kill Warner Brothers Or it's a horrible start or anything negative. Why not just discuss the numbers compared to the drops from other movies on other Easter Monday and go from there. You want to discuss your opinions take it to the spoiler thread or something.

• Like 10