abra

Wednesday: BvS $8.1M

4 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

See what happens when you're disrespectful and unappreciate Rth? No nunbers!

I don't like to call out people here but... THANK YOU, @Jessie. Thank you so fucking much for ruining everything. Comeback, @Rth.  :ohmyzod:

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Hmmm...let's see...JL is DC. So I guess the CW thread?

I've posted on the Justice League thread. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Has our god forsaken us? IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, @Jessie!!!!! :ohmyzod::ohmyzod::ohmyzod::ohmyzod::sadben:

I know im alone on this, but it was more exciting and unexpected to get the weekend numbers all at once rather than constant updates. Imagine finding out TA made over 200m OW on Sunday? How much more surprising it would be? Instead we get early projections friday night giving us an idea of what the weekend will look like, taking away all element of surprise. Especially now with midnight screenings and such.

• Like 1

Just now, Jessie said:

I know im alone on this, but it was more exciting and unexpected to get the weekend numbers all at once rather than constant updates. Imagine finding out TA made over 200m OW on Sunday? How much more surprising it would be? Instead we get early projections friday night giving us an idea of what the weekend will look like, taking away all element of surprise. Especially now with midnight screenings and such.

JUST SHUT UP AND DON'T TALK FOREVER :sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

That wasn't the point I was making..... we were talking about interest.

The reviews are not saving Cloverfield neither saved Edge of Tomorrow. Meanwhile TMNT was a beast with a 19% on RT. Reviews matter almost nothing. It is all about that sweet WOM and a big and appealing marketing campaign.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The reviews are not saving Cloverfield neither saved Edge of Tomorrow. Meanwhile TMNT was a beast with a 19% on RT. Reviews matter almost nothing. It is all about that sweet WOM and a big and appealing marketing campaign.

I'd say it depends on the movie. 

3 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I watched the original cut of Sin City tonight (not the chronological garbage)

Now THAT'S how you do a dark and gritty comic book movie.

Which Sin City is. One of the best too, IMO

Bums me out how Mickey Rourke kinda disappeared from movies again recently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Reviews matter when big built in fanbases come at play. Especially something like Batman, that had Nolan as the director before Snyder. Saying that reviews and buzz don't reflect at the box office as an absolute is just plain wrong. Turtles don't have a built in fanbase that actually cares that much, Cloverfield is the 'sequel' of a cult film and Edge of Tomorrow is based on something I think but without a big fanbase either, so it's harder for the reviews to actually matter. When it comes to superhero films though, they do. They work different than the Transformers or Turtles fanbases, imho. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Cloverfield was always going to be frontloaded. Edge of Tomorrow was undone by horrible marketing. Not really disagreeing with your argument, but those are bad examples. 

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

C'mon Cjohn thats the lamest excuse ever. NO ONE is saying oh the movie has to do well it got great reviews.Clover field lane does HALF as much with a 19% on RT. 

I would have saw Ninja Turtles if the reviews were better. If it effect me then lets say it effects 1 of every 15 people. Imagine 1/15 people even got turned off by reviews by BvS and said naw I'll wait.  Thats 11m OW. 11m that could have gone to BvS that Wb is missing out on. 

EoT with a 19% on RT wasn't gonna make 30m OW. interest picked up when reviews were great. 

Its not a science, but movies do well for multiple reasons. While yes Marketing plays a BIGGER/BIGGEST role (no one is saying it doesn't) Its not the only role. Even if critics effect 5% of the population, thats a sizable effect when your talking million or billions of dollars. 

The buzz week off leading into a movie is HUGLEY important. Especially in an age where you have so many blockbusters.

Star Trek 3 has got Bourne and SS right after it. You're telling me with allll those movies fighting for attention Reviews don't matter? Star Trek gets a 50% while the Buzz on bourne is strong. ST is dead in the water. But guess what, what if buzz the week of on ST is strong and reviews are good? Then they have the buzz that week not bourne. Everything goes into play. you guys can't be so close minded on this shit, think about all angles all senerios. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

C'mon Cjohn thats the lamest excuse ever. NO ONE is saying oh the movie has to do well it got great reviews. Guess what Clover field lane does HALF as much with a 19% on RT. 

Guess what, I would have saw Ninja Turtles if the reviews were better. If it effect me then lets say it effects 1 of every 15 people. Imagine 1/15 people even got turned off by reviews by BvS and said naw I'll wait.  Thats 11m OW. 11m that could have gone to BvS that Wb is missing out on. 

EoT with a 19% on RT wasn't gonna make 30m OW. interest picked up when reviews were great. 

Its not a science, but movies do well for multiple reasons. While yes Marketing plays a BIGGER/BIGGEST role (no one is saying it doesn't) Its not the only role. Even if critics effect 5% of the population, thats a sizable effect when your talking million or billions of dollars. 

The buzz week off leading into a movie is HUGLEY important. Especially in an age where you have so many blockbusters.

Star Trek 3 has got Bourne and SS right after it. You're telling me with allll those movies fighting for attention Reviews don't matter? Star Trek gets a 50% while the Buzz on bourne is strong. ST is dead in the water. But guess what, what if buzz the week of on ST is strong and reviews are good? Then they have the buzz that week not bourne. Everything goes into play. you guys can't be so close minded on this shit, think about all angles all senerios. 

11M difference seems to agree with me that with good reviews maybe it would have opened between 170-180M. So I guess we agree. Great lol.

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

C'mon Cjohn thats the lamest excuse ever. NO ONE is saying oh the movie has to do well it got great reviews. Guess what Clover field lane does HALF as much with a 19% on RT. 

Guess what, I would have saw Ninja Turtles if the reviews were better. If it effect me then lets say it effects 1 of every 15 people. Imagine 1/15 people even got turned off by reviews by BvS and said naw I'll wait.  Thats 11m OW. 11m that could have gone to BvS that Wb is missing out on. 

I'd also add that it's cumulative. A bad film gets bad reviews that translates to bad buzz. The bad buzz kicks in and affects the legs, the legs get shorter because people that saw and aren't hardcore fanboys that will take anything as a masterpiece even if it doesn't even makes sense, the fanboys try to justify the film and that makes it look even worst, they convince some average Joe to see it and those unversed come out of the theater baffled or say that it's maybe for hardcore fanboy Johnny but isn't for them because it doesn't make sense / not as good as X and/or not worthy of other regular Joe's time. It's a vicious circle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

11M difference seems to agree with me that with good reviews maybe it would have opened between 170-180M. So I guess we agree. Great lol.

That's not thinking what bad reviews mean at the grand scheme of things. It goes way beyond simply -5%/$11m.

• Like 1