abra

Wednesday: BvS $8.1M

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

FWIW, I wouldn't say the WOM in my community has been horrible. Mixed, maybe leaning somewhat positive. 

Takes a while for the pony express to get the word out. Give it time old timer.

• Like 1

PLEASE READ:

Okay, folks, after everything that's happened the last couple of weeks, the staff is sick and tired of dealing with what really comes down to simple differences of opinion. We've tried warning in threads, we've tried PMs, we've tried warning points, none of these lighter measures have helped much. As a result, we have a large number of threads that've been toxic to many members, and we've gotten numerous complaints that checking in to read about daily numbers, or to see what movie news has come out, isn't very fun anymore -- because a few people are so determined to push their own viewpoints that they're essentially trampling on everyone else's ability to simply come and hang out and have a good time.

So, here is a new policy. It's very simple.

DON'T POISON THE WELL. If you do, it's a 24-hour ban -- minimum.

What does that mean? Here are the bullet-point items that define that term for us:

• If someone posts an insult to a member or fanbase (like Marvel fans are dumb or BvS fans are dumb). This includes trying to say there's a conspiracy against XXX or that a person has a XXX bias. Note: this also applies to a blogger or reviewer or person outside of this forum.
  • If someone compares CBM movies in a thread not dedicated to said comparison. Two examples of allowed threads are the BVS/Civil War thread and the CBM Showdown thread. Comparisons in daily/weekend numbers threads might be okay but you're treading on thin ice, so you better be damn sure how you present any comps.
  • Any attempt to shut out opinions or people who don't agree with said fan.

Any combination of these, or even just one of them, can constitute "poisoning the well", per moderator's decision. We realize that we staff-members also post in a personal capacity in these threads, and so to avoid one mod using their power to squash someone else's opinion, a minimum of two other mods or admins must agree with their decision before we act on it.

We hope that this new measure will bring some much-needed sanity and civility to the boards... but we have a couple other options up our sleeve if it doesn't. Please don't make us resort to them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CJohn said:

Meh. I don't think so. That is what I think. After OW all that matters is WOM.

WOM starts with US. Think about the first people spreading initial WOM are the ones like us who DO read into more.

We check reviews so it matters. I read that shit, so when my dad says ohhhhh what do you think about this movie? I say oh its getting terrible reviews, you should go see something else. THEN BOOM critics effected my dad and Step mom. What if my Step mom goes to work and her co-worker says I wanna see movie Z tomorrow. And my step mom says I heard its getting bad reviews (from me), so we saw movie Y and it was GREAT. Guess what her co worker now has doubled her chance of being movie Y maybe and lowered her chance of seeing movie Z. 

25 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

WOM starts with US. Think about the first people spreading initial WOM are the ones like us who DO read into more.

We check reviews so it matters. I read that shit, so when my dad says ohhhhh what do you think about this movie? I say oh its getting terrible reviews, you should go see something else. THEN BOOM critics effected my dad and Step mom. What if my Step mom goes to work and her co-worker says I wanna see movie Z tomorrow. And my step mom says I heard its getting bad reviews (from me), so we saw movie Y and it was GREAT. Guess what her co worker now has doubled her chance of being movie Y maybe and lowered her chance of seeing movie Z. 

Y gettin dat WOM kick from the audience after OW :ph34r: