WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Just goes to prove that pandering to St China doesn't bring box office gold. To be lower than both KFP2 and KFP isn't good for DWA. 

Zootopia didn't even try to pander to China. Hell, a Chinese release wasn't even a certainty until a few months ago. Now look what's happened.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sequel was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late.

It was more that the scheduling for KFP3 was bad.  They had it right up against Zootopia in many markets and they even botched the China release date when they were told it was the worst week to open and unlike other foreign films they got to choose any week they wanted because they were a Chinese co-production.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossfire said:

Could you trust someone who liked Fant4stic but didn't liked Deadpool or GOTG

Definitely.

People will never agree 100% but clearly she is a person of high intellect. Just happy I found her channel.

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It was more that the scheduling for KFP3 was bad.  They had it right up against Zootopia in many markets and they even botched the China release date when they were told it was the worst week to open and unlike other foreign films they got to choose any week they wanted because they were a Chinese co-production.

To be fair, they couldn't have predicted how much ass Zootopia would kick. And really, wasn't against Zootopia in a lot of markers: It's more like Zootopia got February, and KFP3 got March. It even preceded Zootopia in the UK!

The Chinese and US release date was utterly ridiculous, though.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

To be fair, they couldn't have predicted how much ass Zootopia would kick. And really, wasn't against Zootopia in a lot of markers: It's more like Zootopia got February, and KFP3 got March. It even preceded Zootopia in the UK!

The Chinese and US release date was utterly ridiculous, though.

They first released it in January in China and in the US so they had over 2 months to release it everywhere before Zootopia even opened and yet they chose dates in March that were right up against it.  It makes no sense even if Zootopia was just a 400-600m ww level animated film.  It's as if they thought Zootopia was Norm Of The North.

I dread to think how KFP3 would have done if it had stayed in March, its January release date wasn't great but March would have been suicide with BvS, Jungle Book plus Zoo. 

I bet Katzenberg is fuming that Zoo has beaten KFP3, I imagine he saw it as a sure fire bet. If Trolls underperforms, they could be in a lot of trouble again. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Started this podcast with the hopes the forum would jump in and start asking questions and maybe we could get forum guests on one day making it an unofficial BOT podcast. I started a thread for it in the Speakeasy HERE 

Batman V Superman breakdown is up if you want to check it out  http://cinemasesh.libsyn.com/005-batman-v-superman-sesh

Cool podcast, keep up the great job

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They first released it in January in China and in the US so they had over 2 months to release it everywhere before Zootopia even opened and yet they chose dates in March that were right up against it.  It makes no sense even if Zootopia was just a 400-600m ww level animated film.  It's as if they thought Zootopia was Norm Of The North.

Zootopia actually had a Belgium and Spain release around February 10, and Netherlands and France release in February 17. I guess Dreamworks thought that a two or three week head start wouldn't be enough, so they waited until March for those markets.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Zootopia actually had a Belgium and Spain release around February 10, and Netherlands and France release in February 17. I guess Dreamworks thought that a two or three week head start wouldn't be enough, so they waited until March for those markets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox forced them to release in March in some markets since they had Alvin still to release. I think had KFP3 released in February OS, it would have done better.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox forced them to release in March in some markets since they had Alvin still to release. I think had KFP3 released in February OS, it would have done better.

But then it would be directly against Zootopia in a lot of markets. How would that be a good situation?

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

But then it would be directly against Zootopia in a lot of markets. How would that be a good situation?

Perhaps not in the markets that had Zoo, but the market where it wasn't playing like the UK which only had Alvin and Goosebumps, Alvin could have been released in March instead.

Midnight Special has been doing quite well as WB has had their attention sidetracked by that superhero movie they have out right now. So has Hello, My Name is Doris (go Sally Field!).

Everybody Wants Some got off to a pretty good start given the scope of its release. This isn't the kind of movie that will make a bundle in theaters.

2 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Obviously, it's possible for WB to fudge the numbers of BvS during the estimation phase, but what are the odds that they've fudged it a full $2.6 million? Because if the actual is $49.8 million or less, then it's a 70% drop.

Eh, I think it's pretty unlikely. Assuming their Sunday drop is under-estimated, if the actual comes in at -40%, it's still only 1m less. (Honestly, none of this really qualifies as fudging).

2 hours ago, SWXII said:

Just watched Beyond the Trailer review of bvs. She totally gets it. I am not a DC comic books fan but she is. She explained a lot of the details. I see a depth to this film beyond what she sees in character and plot. The bat rescue is pivotal and will not be edited. 

This movie will live for a long time. And I will savor every minute. It is a classic.

It will get released again if they do not release the extended version this year. 1 billion is guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, Ohana said:

This movie braught out so many emotions from ppl exactly because It's complex and way beyond what ppl managed to catch from it
I've watched it 3 times and still feel like I missed so many things Grace Randolph talked about
And imo it set something so dark and serious that future Superhero films will look (at least for me) too light from now on.

2 hours ago, SWXII said:

Agreed. A mature alternative to Marvrel. This is going to be a fun ride.

sheep-chewing-then-stare.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

KFP3 OS cume without CHina is 176m. KFP2 OS cume without CHina is 408m.

There's no major market left.

:ohmygod:

Since the numbers beyond opening weekend don't get reported that much people do not seem to notice how poorly it is doing (compared to the previous films). The Zootopia competition and poor US and China dates is the main reason to be sure. But that the series had a TV-show is probbaly partially a reason yet again. I wonder what The Croods 2 will do since it had a TV series as well.

All this talk about fudge is making me want to run out and buy a chocolate cake.

Cause every time I come on these days I feel like saying "Note to self: after a long day at work I don't want to see that." Such is the wisdom of Valerie Cherish.

• Like 1