WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

2 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

If anything I would move Flash and have Aquaman takes its spot and put Batman in July. Flash can happen in October. Three DC movies a year might be a bit harsh though.

I think 3 is fine. They are separated enough. Marvel is also gonna start to have 3 movies per year. I don't see the problem as long as they are not released a month after each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spike071 said:

BTW, I meant to report this yesterday, but I saw BvS for the fourth time yesterday morning and the theater was packed. It was the second busiest showing after that 6pm premiere on that opening Thursday night. 

Where was this? Manhattan?

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

They didn't want to bite Marvel's style but a slow build up is the only sensible route for any cinematic universe.

I disagree. Imagine that BvS was well received? People would have been super hyped for JL. They just happened to release a movie with almost toxic WOM. 

11 minutes ago, Spike071 said:

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Batman v Superman isn't the 90000000th remake of a Disney cartoon. It's the two most iconic characters in from what is right now the most popular genre in film. It was the FIRST ON SCREEN MEETING between these characters. I think people are missing that this was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime holy shit moment on film, and the creative team dropped the ball. 

You have to understand relativity. I don't know if you're a sports fan or not, but it would be like the New England Patriots going 9-7 next year - which would be bad for that franchise - and you saying "That's not bad. If the Cleveland Browns did that it would be good." 

The fact is that WB is leaving a LOT of money on the table because Snyder made a poorly received movie (a movie that I actually like! But that's besides the point.) When you're as rich as studio execs, you don't think about the money you made. You think about the money you didn't make. To rich guys (and gals) making $900 million on a movie that could have made $1.2 billion isn't a gain of $900 million, it's a loss of $300 million. 

I understand relativity just fine. 

But $900 million isn't a disaster. 

Especially with a genre that's as much about the merchandise as anything. Batman and Superman will be shifting plenty of it. 

X-Men is marvel's biggest comic. Fox are spending a fortune on Apocalypse and that isn't getting anywhere near a billion dollars this summer. Will that be a disaster? Nope. 

I think there's value in speculating as to what the mixed reaction will mean for audience appetite for the rest of the DC slate. But as far as the box office goes, calling it a 'disaster' is laughable in my opinion. 

I respect that people believe it. I'll also expect them to apply it to every other $200 million movie that doesn't make a billion dollars from now on. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

They didn't want to bite Marvel's style but a slow build up is the only sensible route for any cinematic universe.

Well, their Universe would be always be seen as a 'copy of Marvel' anyway, it would be better if they did the right thing since the beggining, so, the shame would not be so big as it will be now if they change their whole universe to literally copy what Marvel did

6 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Zootopia isn't a phenomenon, it's a quality animated film that is doing well at the box-office. The word phenomenon should be saved for things like Avatar, Titanic, and Star Wars. 

If it makes it past $400 million domestically, I think that's pretty phenomenal.

Probably not going to happen, but hey.

7 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Zootopia isn't a phenomenon, it's a quality animated film that is doing well at the box-office. The word phenomenon should be saved for things like Avatar, Titanic, and Star Wars. 

And Frozen :ph34r:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think 3 is fine. They are separated enough. Marvel is also gonna start to have 3 movies per year. I don't see the problem as long as they are not released a month after each other.

I don't think some of these planned solo films are happening. I'm really skeptical of The Flash, Shazam and Cyborg.

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

I don't think some of these planned solo films are happening. I'm really skeptical of The Flash, Shazam and Cyborg.

Weren't those films scheduled for 2019 and 2020?  WB  can quietly pull them without anyone really noticing.

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I disagree with that. A slow build up is a very good method for building a cinematic universe, but it comes with its own set of pitfalls. Specifically that every solo movie has to be at least reasonably successful. Which is not easy (and I consider it a minor miracle that Marvel has managed it as well as it has).

And don't forget that DC did already briefly try the Marvel Method, with Green Lantern, and that collapsed on their faces. It's perfectly reasonable to want to try a new method and see if that worked. However, the major mistake that DC made was immediately trusting the bulk of their cinematic universe to the first guy that came along, without taking the time to consider that maybe he might fail them in the next movie. Even Marvel were smart enough to wait until Iron Man 2 before giving Favreau the keys to Avengers (which turned out to be wise in the end (FYI, it's also why I'm a little concerned at the Russo's directing both Infinity Wars, but at least enough room has been left for them to be replaced if Civil War is poorly received)). 

• Like 2