WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

43 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

teenage boys dont even watch movies in theaters much.

Maybe 1-2 a year at most. 

I beg to differ. I go 1-3 times a week ;)

But I don't think I count.

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For years Hollywood thought that teenage boys ran the marketplace and everyone else was just a niche demographic. Now, not so much. 

For example, Deadpool would've been contractually obligated to be PG-13 a decade ago.

Not it sure this is true. It is actually more true these days that most tentpoles are targeted to the teenage/child audience. Back in the 90s and before a large amount of tentpolee, most even maybe, were targeted to adults 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

If adults were really as interested in going to movies as younger people I'd think they'd be more willing to actively seek out the goods

Most of the year, though, there's little that's actually made for them. Some are, but they're not often marketed heavily (so most don't even know something came out), and frequently they're on a limited or platform release. Comedies are the exception, this is true.

But consider something like CRIMINAL, starring Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, Ryan Reynolds, and Gal Gadot. Twenty to thirty years ago this would've gotten a major marketing push. And yet, if they don't avidly follow movies and release schedules, I bet you almost no one in the US even realizes this movie exists.

• Like 3

Most of the year, though, there's little that's actually made for them. Some are, but they're not often marketed heavily (so most don't even know something came out), and frequently they're on a limited or platform release. Comedies are the exception, this is true.

But consider something like CRIMINAL, starring Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, Ryan Reynolds, and Gal Gadot. Twenty to thirty years ago this would've gotten a major marketing push. And yet, if they don't avidly follow movies and release schedules, I bet you almost no one in the US even realizes this movie exists.

Well, the bad reviews probably didn't help.

I think it's accurate to say adults are pickier now than they were in the 90s. The movies aimed at them are the ones that live/die the most based on their RT rating. And I'm okay with that, tbh.

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, the bad reviews probably didn't help.

I think it's accurate to say adults are pickier now than they were in the 90s. The movies aimed at them are the ones that live/die the most based on their RT rating. And I'm okay with that, tbh.

I honestly don't know how you can say that with any sort of accuracy. It seems like a huge jump (and a huge value judgement as well). There are so many other variables in play -- some of which we've been discussing -- that reducing it to perceived selection seems very odd to me.

• Like 3

I honestly don't know how you can say that with any sort of accuracy. It seems like a huge jump (and a huge value judgement as well). There are so many other variables in play -- some of which we've been discussing -- that reducing it to perceived selection seems very odd to me.

Yes, there are other reasons why they don't go out as much, which is why bad reviews would be the nail in the coffin. Why would you risk valuable time in your life to pay premium prices for a shitty film?

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

What's funny is that the 5 screen theater in the shopping plaza where I work is an older-skewing art house theater that almost never gets big movies (currently playing: A Hologram for the King, Criminal, Eye in the Sky, Hello My Name is Doris, and some foreign movie) so that place is like one of the last few still standing. For example, the only big releases in May they are planning on showing are Money Monster and The Nice Guys.

The company actually has two theaters and the other is a 6 screen that also mostly shows older-skewing films exclusively in a neighboring shopping plaza 10 miles away but does get the occasional popcorn film that has inherently older appeal (they didn't get Deadpool but they did get Batman v Superman and will be getting Captain America in two weeks).

• Like 3

• Community Manager
19 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If adults were really as interested in going to movies as younger people I'd think they'd be more willing to actively seek out the goods

Adults don't have the same time as teenage boys to seek out the goods. The goods thus need to have a strong, expensive marketing campaign to reach adults. Since teenagers are an easier sell...

Adults don't have the same time as teenage boys to seek out the goods. The goods thus need to have a strong, expensive marketing campaign to reach adults. Since teenagers are an easier sell...

I don't see much money in collectible Spotlight themed Coffee Mates or "Room"-look Clairol

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't see much money in collectible Spotlight themed Coffee Mates or "Room"-look Clairol

I'd totally buy a Spotlight coffee mug, though. Would look classy.

• Like 1

I'd totally buy a Spotlight coffee mug, though. Would look classy.

Point taken. Still, the synergy opportunities are decidedly more limited than Star Wars'.

Adult movies certainly put effort into their TV campaigns. CNN usually has an ad every other commercial break

• Like 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Point taken. Still, the synergy opportunities are decidedly more limited than Star Wars'.

Adult movies certainly put effort into their TV campaigns. CNN usually has an ad every other commercial break

For Spotlight? Yes.

But take Mad Max: Fury Road. That's a movie with ample synergy opportunities.

• Like 1