WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For all the arguments that reviews mean nothing, audiences seem to be becoming increasingly aware of Rotten Tomatoes scores. Like, if a movie has a sub-20% score, then it's probably not worth it, especially when it comes to parting with your hard earned cash.

Rising ticket prices doesn't help either. Like, who would spend 12 bucks on Huntsman when they can wait 2 weeks for Civil War?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Rising ticket prices doesn't help either. Like, who would spend 12 bucks on Huntsman when they can wait 2 weeks for Civil War?

Or while The Jungle Book, a vastly superior fantasy film, is in only its second week.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And it's not even looking to be the only sequel this year that might come close to pulling off that ignoble task. I won't be surprised if Now You See Me 2 does less than $50M in total this summer.

Nah, NYSM2 is gonna do like 80-85M or so. 

ID2 will see a big drop as well. It won't surprise me if it does 2012 numbers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jj99 said:

Because they're still trying to make Hemsworth "happen."

You know, people say this so often about actors.  And I don't buy it for a second.  The guy is Thor.  So he's an actor that will get scripts.  It might just be that he is doing films outside of Marvel that no one really cares about.  Ask yourself this; if there was another actor, not an A-lister like DiCaprio or Pitt, but another Joe actor in films like Blackhat, In The Heart of the Sea, Rush or Red Dawn, would those films have done any better?  If Jake Gylenhaal for example, was the lead in Red Dawn, would it have made 70 million instead of 45?  Can you even quantify this at all?

I doubt anyone is tryiing to "make Hemsworth happen", he's just a guy with a name and a brand behind him and he's going to get roles because of it.  People said the same thing about Ryan Reynolds before Deadpool.  But what we don't see or hear about is all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes.  People asked why a guy like Reynolds continued getting roles when his films didn't do all that well and the answer came from guys like Hugh Jackman and Sandra Bullock and Helen Mirren, who sing his praises, talking about his unmatched work ethic and his demeanor and so on.  The same can probably be said about Chris.  He'll get a big hit one day and then his four or five duds will just be a distant memory.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

The little merc that could. Isn't it amazing how little faith Fox had in it to begin with? They'd even cut its very modest budget by $7m just a little bit before filming started. Silly executives had no faith in one of the best superheroes ever made, tsk tsk, how they were proven wrong.

IKR. I love how Deadpool said Fuck U FOX with it's WW gross. Can't wait to see them come back to kiss Deadpool's ass once it officially beats the new X-Men at the box office.

Rising ticket prices is, I feel, the stronger argument. If ticket prices had inflated "normally" since 1989, the average price now would be $7.63. Instead, it's $8.43. Yeah, 10.5% may not sound like a huge overprice, but considering how many tickets are bought and how many movies are seen by the average family, it can add up quickly.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Or while The Jungle Book, a vastly superior fantasy film, is in only its second week.

Adding to that the fact they had no idea what to do with it. Just look at this newly released spot:

They sell it as a prequel and a war between Charlize (that owns the mirror) and Emily Blunt. And Emily Blunt is seen as the solution to stop Charlize Theron and the Huntsman are her army and will help her.

Spoiler

None of this is true. They are selling a movie that simply doesn't exist. 

Just now, Baumer said:

You know, people say this so often about actors.  And I don't buy it for a second.  The guy is Thor.  So he's an actor that will get scripts.  It might just be that he is doing films outside of Marvel that no one really cares about.  Ask yourself this; if there was another actor, not an A-lister like DiCaprio or Pitt, but another Joe actor in films like Blackhat, In The Heart of the Sea, Rush or Red Dawn, would those films have done any better?  If Jake Gylenhaal for example, was the lead in Red Dawn, would it have made 70 million instead of 45?  Can you even quantify this at all?

I doubt anyone is tryiing to "make Hemsworth happen", he's just a guy with a name and a brand behind him and he's going to get roles because of it.  People said the same thing about Ryan Reynolds before Deadpool.  But what we don't see or hear about is all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes.  People asked why a guy like Reynolds continued getting roles when his films didn't do all that well and the answer came from guys like Hugh Jackman and Sandra Bullock and Helen Mirren, who sing his praises, talking about his unmatched work ethic and his demeanor and so on.  The same can probably be said about Chris.  He'll get a big hit one day and then his four or five duds will just be a distant memory.  

Sometimes it's obvious when they're trying to make actors "happen" by making hyperbolic headlines that backfire more often than not. Remember when Taylor Kitsch a big spread in People in early 2012 calling him "The Next Brad Pitt"? Or Shailene Woodley being labeled "The New Jennifer Lawrence" right before Divergent opened? Now look where their careers are.

Hemsworth's problems stem from his poor career choices outside of Marvel. He needs a new agent.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sometimes it's obvious when they're trying to make actors "happen" by making hyperbolic headlines that backfire more often than not. Remember when Taylor Kitsch a big spread in People in early 2012 calling him "The Next Brad Pitt"? Or Shailene Woodley being labeled "The New Jennifer Lawrence" right before Divergent opened? Now look where their careers are.

Hemsworth's problems stem from his poor career choices outside of Marvel. He needs a new agent.

Why wouldn't they say that about Woodley?  And her career is just fine and so is Kitsch.

11 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Why wouldn't they say that about Woodley?  And her career is just fine and so is Kitsch.

Calling Woodley the next JLaw was unfortunate because they operated under assumption that Divergent would be her The Hunger Games and The Fault In Our Stars would be her Silver Linings Playbook, but the former was not even close to as big or as acclaimed as JLaw's YA franchise-starter and she didn't even get a Golden Globe nomination for the latter. Since then the only things she's done have been the Divergent sequels and the only things she has on dock are that HBO thing with Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman and what's most likely a nothing girlfriend role in Snowden that even Emilia Clarke passed on. Oh and that final Divergent movie that likely won't be made now (that series ended up being a terrible career move for her given how much of her schedule it's consumed).

As for Kitsch, his problem is that he quite frankly is the prime example of a "basic white dude who doesn't stand out in anything" (case in point: he was the only major member of the celebrated cast of HBO's The Normal Heart to not get an Emmy nomination). He's about to tackle his directorial debut, so maybe the "Next Ben Affleck" headlines are coming up next. lol.

Edited by filmlover

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Holy crap, I just realized that other than Avatar and 2 of the SW Prequels, Deadpool is Fox's highest grossing movie domestically to date.

One franchise they don't have anymore, the other will have sequels some time this century if James Cameron's health stays up.

Looks like Deadpool is the golden goose.

• Like 3

Just now, eddyxx said:

One franchise they don't have anymore, the other will have sequels some time this century if James Cameron's health stays up.

Looks like Deadpool is the golden goose.

:rofl: 

Just don't let Kal hear you.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Calling Woodley the next JLaw was unfortunate because they operated under assumption that Divergent would be her The Hunger Games and The Fault In Our Stars would be her Silver Linings Playbook, but the former was not even close to as big or as acclaimed as JLaw's YA franchise-starter and she didn't even get a Golden Globe nomination for the latter. Since then the only things she's done have been the Divergent sequels and the only things she has on dock are that HBO thing with Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman and what's most likely a nothing girlfriend role in Snowden that even Emilia Clarke passed on. Oh and that final Divergent movie that likely won't be made now (that series ended up being a terrible career move for her given how much of her schedule it's consumed).

As for Kitsch, his problem is that he quite frankly is the prime example of a "basic white dude who doesn't stand out in anything" (case in point: he was the only major member of the celebrated cast of HBO's The Normal Heart to not get an Emmy nomination). He's about to tackle his directorial debut, so maybe the "Next Ben Affleck" headlines are coming up next. lol.

You seriously have no idea what you are talking about.  I'll just leave it at that.  There isn't a shred of truth to any of this post.  But you go ahead and believe what you want to believe.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This, pretty much. As I said in the Now You See Me 2 thread earlier this week, that movie and this one feel like the most thunderingly obvious examples of sequels that NO ONE asked for in recent memory.

Now You See Me was good though.