kayumanggi

CHIPS | 03.24.17 | Warner Brothers | current gross ● 18.40 M

Seems like every joke and gag from that trailer tried to assure the audience that Poncharello is straight.

• Looks horrified at a man's crotch
  • looks disgusted as another man wearing only underwear is about to approach him and possibly hug him
  • looks in horror as two men wearing underwear hug and seems disgusted that their crotches rub against one another
  • looks quizzical about "girl sounding names' in a guy
  • stares at a girl's ass and gets an insta-boner that might keep him from working
  • is horrified because he might have to carry a man that wears underwear
  • actually trips and has facial contact with that man's crotch; reacts with horror...

I don't know if that is homophobic, but it seems lazy and juvenile to me.

Edited by Moviesareawesomegirl
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

Seems like every joke and gag from that trailer tried to assure the audience that Poncharello is straight.

• Looks horrified at a man's crotch
  • looks disgusted as another man wearing only underwear is about to approach him and possibly hug him
  • looks in horror as two men wearing underwear hug and seems disgusted that their crotches rub against one another
  • looks quizzical about "girl sounding names' in a guy
  • stares at a girl's ass and gets an insta-boner that might keep him from working
  • is horrified because he might have to carry a man that wears underwear
  • actually trips and has facial contact with that man's crotch; reacts with horror...

I don't know if that is homophobic, but it seems lazy and juvenile to me.

Someone pointed out that in the scene where he carries Dax in underwear, the underwear may have been CGI'd in for the sake of the trailer.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Someone pointed out that in the scene where he carries Dax in underwear, the underwear may have been CGI'd in for the sake of the trailer.

Interesting.

Having been played by Erik Estrada, a man who epitomized the Latino Lover archetype back in the late seventies-eighties, Poncharello should be revealed as gay by the reboot's final act. I think it would be a cheeky way of subverting the trope, and it would also explain the insistent "I am hetero!" and "I am a hardened Latino macho man!"  jokes that seem to be peppered throughout the movie. However, I doubt Hollywood would risk the potential backlash. If anything, I bet there will be some last-act misunderstanding that makes the audience and Baker think that Ponch is really gay, but in the end, it will all turn out to be that he is just a softie and a really sensitive guy underneath his macho exterior. :D 

Edited by Moviesareawesomegirl

1 hour ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

Interesting.

Having been played by Erik Estrada, a man who epitomized the Latino Lover archetype back in the late seventies-eighties, Poncharello should be revealed as gay by the reboot's final act. I think it would be a cheeky way of subverting the trope, and it would also explain the insistent "I am hetero!" and "I am a hardened Latino macho man!"  jokes that seem to be peppered throughout the movie. However, I doubt Hollywood would risk the potential backlash. If anything, I bet there will be some last-act misunderstanding that makes the audience and Baker think that Ponch is really gay, but in the end, it will all turn out to be that he is just a softie and a really sensitive guy underneath his macho exterior. :D 

How much you expect them to subvert the trope depends on how well you trust writer/director Dax Shepard to do so.

This movie filmed in October 2015, so they probably intended to release it in late summer 2016, but instead was set for August 2017, after Baywatch and in summer, before moving to March 2017, before Baywatch and out of summer.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

I read that Dax Shepard wanted to make this movie as a Lethal Weapon or Bad Boys and not Jump Street. Based on these trailers, it looks like he lost sight along the way on how to do that so he threw in more and more cheap raunchy humor to make up for it.

Back in the 1980s there was a popular NBC television named CHiPs which was about the adventures of two California highway patrol officers starring Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada. It was a show way before my birth, but from the information that I gathered, the original show was a wholesome lighthearted show for the whole family. Today, Hollywood has brought back the beloved 80s series and TOOK A BIG SHIT ON IT! 

Dax Shepard is no Phil Lord/Chris Miller. 

LET ME SAY IT AGAIN!

DAX SHEPARD

IS NO

PHIL LORD &  CHRIS MILLER

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//chips-review