CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

If we didn't have so many people predicting such insane numbers then this number and the eventual weekend number would be seen as absolutely huge. I now fully realize that this is more of an Avengers movie then it is Captain America but really it's Captain America 3 and it's going to open up to around double what Captain America 2 did. There's no way around it that's freaking huge.

May you put the preview numbers in the titl please 

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Social media destroyed it

And it was March.

When Do Holidays start for children, teen and adults in America/Canada, I never know ...

BvS previews were 27,7m by the way.

Edited by The Futurist

Very good analysis from Brad Brevet at BOM below. PLF screen count went up 20% from a year ago (480 vs. 400). It's amazing that the PLF screen count was pretty much zero back in the mid-2000's and now there are over 100 more PLF screens than IMAX screens in the country.

• "Civil War is opening in 4,226 theaters, a fraction below the 4,276 theaters Age of Ultron debuted in and 123 fewer than the first Avengers opened in back in 2012. Of those theaters, Civil War will play at 378 IMAX locations (14 more than Ultron), 480 PLF locations (80 more than Ultron) and more than 3,300 locations will show the film in 3D, up from 2,761 for Ultron, which saw 44% of its overall weekend come from 3D showings. Also last year, Jurassic World opened in 4,274 theaters of which 363 were IMAX locations, approximately 400 were PLF locations and the film saw 48% of its overall weekend haul come from the 3,303 theaters that debuted the film in 3D."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4182&p=.htm

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why did BvS make only 166 m when it had the same Thursday previews as AOU?

Anyone?

Marvel movies tend to be slightly more backloaded, for whatever reason. BVS also had a weird weekend for holds/drops (Good Friday, Easter Sunday). And better reception probably would've given it better holds as well. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Couple of things:

1. We already banned our first person last night. So y'all've missed out on your moment of ignominy. (It was a troll who created multiple accounts and was highly likely also someone we banned a few weeks ago).

2. As lots of people are pointing out, every year a greater percentage of tickets are sold online. So all these PR pieces by Fandango, etc are basically fluff. And when you realize that only a minority of overall tickets sold online are for Thurs previews, it becomes even more meaningless.

3. That being said, I'm a little surprised the number isn't a bit higher because spizzer's and my sellout reports both had it tracking on par with BVS and ULTRON. Just goes to show that a couple of regional reports don't count as truly representative of the whole country.

4. Sequels tend to be more frontloaded than their predecessors, no matter the quality. So while I think it's fair to say CA3 might have a slightly better internal weekend multi than ULTRON (given that movie's somewhat depressed Saturday), I don't think it'll be dramatically different.

185-195m OW looks extremely likely right now, IMO, pending any outlier performance.

Who the heck do you think you are for bringing logical valid points into this forum?

:D

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

BVS was extremely frontloaded. It dropped over 30% on Saturday, and once again on Sunday. AOU also dropped 30%+ on Sat. thanks to the fight, but the Sunday drop was only 10% by comparision.

No way CW experiences those drops with incredible WOM.

I still think around 200 m is still in the cards.

1 hour ago, Bonenash said:

What?? noone was saying that lol The marvel movies do very well at the Box office but Star wars is in another league..... You can't compare.

Another league? I would not be too surprised if Episode VIII's OW is on par with AoU and Episode IX's OW is on par with BvS. 

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Oh no I like French in general, love speaking it etc I'm really glad I'm bilingual. It's just today everyone has to give a 3 minute presentation in class. So basically you give your presentation and then sit and listen to 25 other people.

Where do you live? french or English canada i heard lordmandeep understands some french i think too :)

Still sticking to my $185m prediction.

Obviously $200m+ is possible (Marvel always has solid walk-up business) but people saying $200m is the floor is hyperbolic considering only three movies (3) in history have crossed that in a single weekend. $25m preview in previews is a great number but these preview numbers don't always indicate how the movie will perform over the weekend.

IMHO, if this movie crosses $200m+ this weekend, that has to be considered a massively successful performance and something of an outlier. Its always better to keep expectations in check and let things overdeliver.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reading the JW weekend thread, after those numbers a lot of us were still expecting only 140M :lol: 

Almost a year later and JW is still such an anomaly to me. I still can't believe that film is the highest-grossing true Friday of all time. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ohana said:

BvS had 27M on Thursday preview or so?

I'm a bit amazed CW only pulled 25M

My guess is lots of the so called DC fanboys saw it on Thursday, because the 3 year long wait since it was announced was way too overwhelming for their spirits to see it a day later ^_^ 

Btw these fanboys/girls stuff is crazy on twitter. I mean I can kind of understand with my love for Star Wars but the whole Marvel/DC fanatics scare me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Never understood the over 200 million hype. Never made any sense to me. CAWS opened to 95mil. This will be double. Huge win.

It could still beat AOU or even cross 200 m.

We still don't know what Friday or Saturday will look like.

JW made 18 m from Thursday previews and destroyed BvS OW.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3