CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

8 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I'm excluding the airport scene because it is the one scene in the movie that feels like a Avengers movie. One scene. Those characters don't have.much to do outside that scene. Its hard for me to explain this without posting spoilers but let me just say the team IM supporting  characters don't get much focus in the movie and the team Cap ones obviously gravivtate around Cap, some of whom dont even appear til halfway in the movie or have some plot reason why they aren't on screen. Basically they are cameos. Some of them I wonder if they were overpaid for what amounts to a week of shooting.  My original point was the non TWS characters aren't in the movie much and are basically cameos

It's a TWS sequel and it's charcters get the lion share of screen time.

As for IM. He's the antagonist. That's why I excluded him from the rest. He is obviously important to the story because he is there to provide conflict for our title character. That is his importance to the story. But he is merely driving Caps story. Not overtaking it. His last scene in the film is even about Cap. Not his central conflict as it wouldve been his own film, but how he effected Cap and how their relationship stands going into the next chapter of Marvel films. Cap is even the final character shown on screen. 

I've seen the movie and I disagree. A cameo doesn't have an impact on the plot. If you remove all the characters that weren't in TWS (minus IM), the plot would be drastically different. They're supporting characters in Avengers 2.5.

And you described what an all antagonists in any story are supposed to do. They don't need to have a story arc. Arguably, IM does have a character arc in CW.

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

No. It's 3.5

225m OW Confirmed for Star Wars Rogue Then.

I will not tolerate your petty 150-160-170-180-190m OWs anymore, got it ?

23 minutes ago, mredman said:

Its not gonna win OW and its not gonna win Domestic either. Both those will go to Star Wars Rogue 1. It has Darth Vader and it properly also has The Emperor Palpatine and its close to A New Hope. Rogue 1 will be gigantic. CW is gonna be crushed by it.

Nah, Rogue One isn't going to make more than $180 million on its opening weekend. It's not The Force Awakens over again.

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We should probably just ban 225-230M OW threads. Leads to nothing but flame wars. Both the 225M threads this year are major war zones. Even last year we had an Ultron over 230M OW thread as well.

At least this thread never gave any false hopes, last year's Ultron OW thread had everyone thinking the first ever 100M OD or at the very least a new OD record was coming up for a full 12+ hours before the 3am Deadline update, you can feel the air being let out of the thread reading the posts after that update.

Honestly, the "over $225-$230m" threads color the discussion and lead to major flame wars.

Most of the time, the early predictions (except for JW, TA and AOU) for these big movies tend to be correct but the "loony" predictions (and tracking that seems to be getting less and less accurate) eventually change perceptions.

Like I said before, a movie doesn't have to make 200M OW to be a success. These numbers for CW are great and well-deserved. I expect it'll have some great legs too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's Family Movie Night at Chateau Tele. We watched THE BLACK STALLION and now Tele Jr is pretending to ride a horse around the house. 

Are you the pretend horse?

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Boxoffice.com

Captain America: Civil WarMay 6, 2016Disney  $213,000,000  $605,000,000

oof

Shawn went full CJohn with that one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Boxoffice.com

Captain America: Civil WarMay 6, 2016Disney  $213,000,000  $605,000,000

oof

Yeah they got it way wrong but most of the other trades were at 180-190 with a chance of 200. BOs predict caused a lot of people here (including me) to up there predictions in the last few weeks. I was at 175-185 originally too.

23 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Numbers tagged me earlier in the thread so I did read a few pages, baumer googling the Infinity Stones and liking Guardians now was pretty interesting.

B is always a man full of surprises. 

• Like 1

(Haven't read the thread since the friday number, sorry but I didn't/don't have the time)

Man I don't know how to feel with this one. On one hand, many (including me, before) expected more from it. On the other...

I watched this 10 days ago. It might have been the tiredness and sleepiness speaking after a midnight showing, but it didn't feel as elating as TA or IM1. In fact it left me quite sad, with no desire to rewatch soon. I know this is just a personal impression of the movie, but maybe there are others who felt the same way and therefore affected it rewatchability. I knew since the day I watched it that Avengers 1 numbers were too big just because of that. So, while I feel disappointed when comparing to my pre-watching numbers this is falling right around my post-watching numbers. 

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

The next movie that has a good shot at 200m is Episode 8. And that's a long ways away.

For that to be another TFA, everything has to go right again.

Even if everything goes right, it's no guarantee it will get close to TFA. Star Wars second movie drop offs are big, even when it's literally the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy lol.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Feels like people are way overpredicting every single movie this year. Star Wars ruined the box office. The only big movie that's going to beat people's hyper-inflated prerelease expectation is friggin Deadpool

Yep.

Rogue One is different. It cannot be counted as a part of the 7 Star Wars movies. It is an off shoot with a completely different cast from the 7 movies but in the same universe. The closest comparison at this point is GOTG.

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Even if everything goes right, it's no guarantee it will get close to TFA. Star Wars second movie drop offs are big, even when it's literally the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy lol.

Exactly. It's anyones guess but if I had to bet, I would put it on that movie. But there's so much that could go wrong. Bad reviews, bad weather, etc.

The hype and speculation is already building. People who didn't like TFA will still be back. It won't be TFA again but it's going to be big.