CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Avengers 3 (Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War Part 1, whatever the fuck it's called) won't open lower than 180M. Hell, if Avengers 2.5 (w/Captain Goddamn America in its title) can open to 180M, don't forget (and I've said this before): the Infinity Gauntlet movie is gonna feature the missing stars from this movie like Thor and Hulk, it's gonna have the Guardians Of The Galaxy (featuring Mr. Chri$ Pratt), it'll have everybody in it. The only way I see a lower than that OW is if they try this whole "1 month in advance thing" but then it doesn't pay out w/rather weak reviews - although I do trust the Russos/McFeely/Markus group, but hardly is it the 1st time that something like this has happened (Mockingjay Part 1 had the benefit of being directed by the same guy that made Catching Fire, and then whooptie freakin' do). And even if it opens sub 180M, I don't see any less than Iron Man 3 numbers for a fucking Avengers film, which, on this day, seems like the type of franchise that's just too big to fail.

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

No, it was sold as a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie and that is why it is opening right in line with Iron Man 3 adjusted numbers and not Avengers numbers which were both higher.  

Totally sold as a Cap vs Iron Man movie. This TV spots strategy wasn't used in the Avengers movies. No sir. 

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Not even Batman Begins to TDK can lay claim to that kind of increase.

Nolan has been defeated :jeb!:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I HOPE YOUR U4 COPY EXPLODES IN YOUR HANDS.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I would like to send you the TV spot where they focus on Spider-Man or the one where they mention every hero in this thing but unfortunately they are on facebook.

That tells you it was sold as an Avengers movie?  The general public doesn't really have a clue this point that Spider-Man is an Avenger given he hasn't even been in the Marvel comic universe and has had multiple stand alone movies with Sony that don't connect.  

They featured Spider-Man in advertising to give him a fresh introduction into the MCU and jump start his stand alone movie coming next year.  

The general public didn't see Spider-Man and go "oh my gosh, this is the Avengers!!" when they see a teenage underoos kid running around.  

44 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Furious 7, 182m.

That 96m OW isn't enough for Top 5, even.

EDIT: Off BOM

1 Furious 7 $182,400,000 46.7% $390,910,000
2 Avengers: Age of Ultron $155,750,000 64.9% $240,110,000
3 The Mermaid (2016) $120,481,288 22.9% $526,848,189
4 Monster Hunt $107,020,000 28.0% $381,860,000
5 Lost in Hong Kong $106,800,000 42.1% $253,590,000
6 Jurassic World $99,150,000 43.3% $228,740,000
7 Mojin: The Lost Legend $95,437,753 37.3% $255,747,040
8 Breakup Buddies $94,130,000 50.1% $187,970,000
9 Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons $92,460,000 47.0% $196,740,000
10 Transformers: Age of Extinction $92,000,000 28.8% $320,000,000

Those numbers are based on weekly grosses, and most of those movies did not open on a Friday.

AoU's numbers are from Tuesday to Sunday while Civil War only had Friday to Sunday. Furious 7's numbers are for the full week. Jurassic World had Wednesday to Saturday.

The only actually comparable film would be Transformers which had a Friday opening.

• Like 2

Just now, Krissykins said:

This managed to save some face with its release date plan. Should do $30m now, not quite as bad as <$25m. 

Yeah. Next weekend's drop will be fun.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Avengers 3 (Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War Part 1, whatever the fuck it's called) won't open lower than 180M. Hell, if Avengers 2.5 (w/Captain Goddamn America in its title) can open to 180M, don't forget (and I've said this before): the Infinity Gauntlet movie is gonna feature the missing stars from this movie like Thor and Hulk, it's gonna have the Guardians Of The Galaxy (featuring Mr. Chri$ Pratt), it'll have everybody in it. The only way I see a lower than that OW is if they try this whole "1 month in advance thing" but then it doesn't pay out w/rather weak reviews - although I do trust the Russos/McFeely/Markus group, but hardly is it the 1st time that something like this has happened (Mockingjay Part 1 had the benefit of being directed by the same guy that made Catching Fire, and then whooptie freakin' do). And even if it opens sub 180M, I don't see any less than Iron Man 3 numbers for a fucking Avengers film, which, on this day, seems like the type of franchise that's just too big to fail.

Of course it will open higher. 190M I say. And Infinity War should do around 200M. 

Just now, nilephelan said:

That tells you it was sold as an Avengers movie?  The general public doesn't really have a clue this point that Spider-Man is an Avenger given he hasn't even been in the Marvel comic universe and has had multiple stand alone movies with Sony that don't connect.  

They featured Spider-Man in advertising to give him a fresh introduction into the MCU and jump start his stand alone movie coming next year.  

The general public didn't see Spider-Man and go "oh my gosh, this is the Avengers!!" when they see a teenage underoos kid running around.  

Everyone I knew saw it as an Avengers movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BourneFan #1 said:

THE JUNGLE BOOK took in an estimated $21.87M this weekend and has grossed $284.99M to date domestically.

The Civil War effect :kitschjob: 

Disney is literally competing against itself at this point :lol: 

• Like 1

Assuming BVS does 330m, TJB is 45m away after a 21.9m weekend. Should add 55-60m to it's cume of 285m for 340-345m dom imo.

Edited by a2knet

13 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

If you have actually seen the movie (which it seems you claim you have after saying a few weeks ago you were going to boycott), you would know this is a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie with the usual suspects (Black Widow, Falcon, Bucky Barnes) from previous Capt. American movies, a couple of scenes with Scarlet Witch/Vision and then extended cameos thrown in for an airport fight.  It isn't an Avengers movie.   

The Avengers, last time I checked, included Thor/Hulk and even in a lot of was Nick Fury.  Hope this helps you.  

yeah a saw it and its ok nothing more and its not better than IM 1 and WS. And your argument is laughable when you add SPIDER-MAN to the movie. The most popular Marvel character there is. Wht would say BvS is iif you call Civil War a cap movie ?