CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

1 minute ago, SWXII said:

People were saying TFA 'records would be surpassed. This will be a stretch to do 200M now. 

Theres no one in their right mind will say captain america civil war gonna break TFA record. Cmon man. 

Couple of things:

1. We already banned our first person last night. So y'all've missed out on your moment of ignominy. (It was a troll who created multiple accounts and was highly likely also someone we banned a few weeks ago).

2. As lots of people are pointing out, every year a greater percentage of tickets are sold online. So all these PR pieces by Fandango, etc are basically fluff. And when you realize that only a minority of overall tickets sold online are for Thurs previews, it becomes even more meaningless. 

3. That being said, I'm a little surprised the number isn't a bit higher because spizzer's and my sellout reports both had it tracking on par with BVS and ULTRON. Just goes to show that a couple of regional reports don't count as truly representative of the whole country. 

4. Sequels tend to be more frontloaded than their predecessors, no matter the quality. So while I think it's fair to say CA3 might have a slightly better internal weekend multi than ULTRON (given that movie's somewhat depressed Saturday), I don't think it'll be dramatically different. 

185-195m OW looks extremely likely right now, IMO, pending any outlier performance. 

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Good number. Is it just me, or is the BO becoming rather dull. I dunno, even a 200m isn't that exciting anymore. It's just kind of 'expected' now that a film like this will open to a huge number like 190m or 200m. I remember the days when midnight/preview numbers were hotly anticipated, and usually shocking. They're not at all anymore. Usually the rest of the run is much more interesting now than initial opening. Maybe it's just me. 

I agree. In the past year or so I have come to find opening weekend box office mostly uninteresting, but still love following films overall run. Seeing what kind of legs a movie can get or if it can hit a certain number & such. 

5 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

ahhhhhhhhhhh don't tell bad think about french :D

Just kidding hate spanish too back in school but loved loved English. I read ENglish everyday thx to this forum and some news on World of warcraft :D

If you need advice on french i m your man :D

Oh no I like French in general, love speaking it etc I'm really glad I'm bilingual. It's just today everyone has to give a 3 minute presentation in class. So basically you give your presentation and then sit and listen to 25 other people.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SWXII said:

People were saying TFA 'records would be surpassed. This will be a stretch to do 200M now. 

What?? noone was saying that lol The marvel movies do very well at the Box office but Star wars is in another league..... You can't compare.

If we didn't have so many people predicting such insane numbers then this number and the eventual weekend number would be seen as absolutely huge. I now fully realize that this is more of an Avengers movie then it is Captain America but really it's Captain America 3 and it's going to open up to around double what Captain America 2 did. There's no way around it that's freaking huge.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Why did BvS make only 166 m when it had the same Thursday previews as AOU?

Anyone?

Social media destroyed it

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Well ticket sales were not all for Thursday night, lol.

Advanced ticket sales don't mean anything. It's a fraction of the big picture.

Advanced ticket means people want their tickets before movie begins. It doesnt mean that the general public will follow-up suit. But apparently people in here thinks this way.

The way you know are by sellouts. Actual sellouts. We all knew Harry Potter and SW were going to have astronomical Friday numbers due to sellouts.

This one will be big, but not as big as the majority in here are predicting.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Why did BvS make only 166 m when it had the same Thursday previews as AOU?

Anyone?

BVS was extremely frontloaded. It dropped over 30% on Saturday, and once again on Sunday. AOU also dropped 30%+ on Sat. thanks to the fight, but the Sunday drop was only 10% by comparision.

• Like 1