WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 67): Captain Pirate: Piracy War 72.6M | Jungle Book 17.1M | Money Monster 14.8M | The Darkness 5M | Mother's Day 3.3M

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/moreweekends.htm?page=2&p=.htm

Little bit of trivia but Spider-man has at last been kicked out of the Top 10 biggest second weekends list after 14 years (by a movie having Spider-man in it as well). A $70m+ second weekend in 2002 was really crazy (and without the presence of a Holiday either). I think that it's second weekend is still the most impressive ever (TFA's 2nd weekend is very close in terms of impressiveness as well but christmas holiday definitely helped it big time).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Weekend Thoughts:

On a snarky note, it's funny to see Batman v Superman and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 so close in weekend grosses when the latter debuted to 1/10 of the former on the same weekend.

Fun fact: my nearest movie theater got rid of Batman v Superman this week, but it's still showing Greek Wedding a month and a half later.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Its like you guys almost simply refuse to get it so you can jab at others, make jokes or start arguments (you both are usually good guys so don't take this personally, but still). Its subjective! I just said this and I'll repeat - 

1B totally can be disappointing. Is it in this case? Not at all. I think 1B+ for this particular film is indeed a success. But your posts weren't referring to this but simply the numbers themselves. 1B or any number does not signify a success in and of itself. One has to consider everything. 1B for Zootopia is HUGE, 1B for Civil War is expected, 800m+ for BvS is so disappointing, 1B for Avatar 2 will be bullshit, 1B for SW 8 will suck, 1B for AOU would have been utterly disappointing, 1B for Revenant would have been out of this world. The number, any number, does not signify anything by itself, other things has to be considered. There were so many discussions about this last year with Ultron too. I know this is mostly just a waste of time since people almost always simply refuse to change their minds, beliefs or opinions over any non-factual matter but I had to say this.

I agree that it's all relative. So say 1b for Avatar 2 would be a huge disappointment. But I think 1b is still such a huge figure that apart from exceptions like Avatar or SW (non-spin offs) or AOU, I would blindly say 1b is not a disappointment without including the movie's name in my statement. If CW was gonna stop at 1b I would have considered it great.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Fun fact: my nearest movie theater got rid of Batman v Superman this week, but it's still showing Greek Wedding a month and a half later.

lol a multiplex close did the same thing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

I'm still trying to put my finger around that Jurassic world boxoffice number from last summer. Just doesn't make sense to me 

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe people liked the movie and went to go see it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

I'm still trying to put my finger around that Jurassic world boxoffice number from last summer. Just doesn't make sense to me 

Sons of bitches like @CJohn propping the # up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

Weren't you the same guy only a few days ago saying that The Jungle Book wouldn't reach $300m and multiple people had to point out to you that it was a mathematical certainty and you said "we shall see"?  Then we laid out the week by week numbers and you still didn't believe it?  

17 minutes ago, Rallax said:

On December 27, after it was estimated to make $149m second weekend and was sitting at $540m, he still didn't think TFA was going to pass Avatar.  

We have showed you multiple times how this is a 100% certainty.  How can you still not believe it?  Can you give us a break-down of how this could miss it?

fEs9sh9.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It opened to less than half of the original here in the UK and was beaten by Money Monster in Portugal.

I saw it 400 times plus wrote 1500 reviews praising it all over the Internet and on newspapers. ALL HAIL JURASSIC WORLD.

joke-of-the-week-jurassic.jpg

• Like 3