The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

So far, 20 movies I still haven't seen

100    The Big Lebowski    1998
99    No Country For Old Men    2007
96    Captain America: Winters Soldier    2014
95    Ghostbusters    1984
94    Do The Right Thing    1989
92    Captain America: Civil War    2016
91    Raging Bull    1980
83    Saving Private Ryan    1998
79    Aliens    1986
77    Heat    1995
76    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade    1989
74    Once Upon a Time in the West    1968
70    It's a Wonderful Life    1946
69    Rocky    1975
66    There Will Be Blood    2007
63    Singin' in the Rain    1952
59    Die Hard    1988
56    The Usual Suspects    1995
49    The Truman Show    1998
48    Se7en    1995

4 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

So far, 20 movies I still haven't seen

100    The Big Lebowski    1998

95    Ghostbusters    1984

79    Aliens    1986
77    Heat    1995
76    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade    1989
74    Once Upon a Time in the West    1968

59    Die Hard    1988

:ohmyzod:

• Like 5

Number 40

Inside Out (2015)

50 Points (21 Votes, Avg Score 41.9524)

Stacey-Aoyama-Eric-Tan-Inside-Out-Movie-

"Take her to the moon for me. Okay?"

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 98%

Box Office: 356.46m (370.54m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won the BOFFY for Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it's no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness. The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley's main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.

Critic Opinion: "The film’s peak of intensity comes when the mismatched partners meet Bing Bong (voiced by Richard Kind), the imaginary childhood friend Riley has almost entirely forgotten. He’s a lovable soul, an elephant-trunked cotton candy beehive who carries a rucksack of important recollections and puzzles about why his dear pal never visits anymore. And he’s on the way to a climax that would fit a mournful Edgar Allan Poe tale. Pixar‘s time-honored fascination with themes of disuse and oblivion has never made a mor e touching creature.

Like the “Toy Story” trilogy, “Inside Out” is about loss and the passage of time. It’s a gentle depiction of the things we’ll lose when we grow up. It poignantly depicts the idea that every party has to end, expanding the emotional range of children’s films along with a healthy dose of laughter. After the traditional Pixar end credits list, which salutes the many Production Babies born as “Inside Out” inched through the pipeline, it ends with a poetic farewell message: “This film is dedicated to our kids. Please don’t grow up. Ever.”" - Colin Covert

User Opinion: "Pixar's best films take broad, ridiculous, what-if components (rat chefs, romantic bots, talking toys, houses that fly) and use them to tell just as universal but generally more painfully emotional stories about adulation, success, loss, maturity, and just about any other raw nerve you can think of. INSIDE OUT is perhaps the best example of why Pixar's formula works so splendidly--Docter and company turn the mechanics of the mind into complete metaphor to tell a thrilling, funny, fast-paced adventure that's literally all about a 12-year-old girl developing complex emotions and memories. This is the endless spacial imagination of MONSTERS INC. weaved with the coming of age complexity of UP. This movie is the real freaking deal, folks. Not to even mention it has possibly the best Pixar voice performance in Amy Poehler and the best Pixar score in Michael Giacchino." - Gopher

Personal Comment: Inside Out comes into the countdown as the fourth Pixar film and the seventh animated film.  Inside Out is also the 13th movie from the 2010s decade to make the list putting the decade back into the lead of the decade with the most movies on the list.  Inside Out is also the third most recent film to make the list, which means The Martian and Deadpool definitely missed out but a certain Jurassic movie still has a shot ( @Telemachos ).  While there might be some complaints about Inside Out being to recent, the movie most definitely earns its way onto the list.  Inside Out is one of the most mature animated films that is still accessible to families, it manages to have depth and intelligence in the script, beauty and heart in the presentation, and a film that manages to transcend just being entertainment but being an incredibly meaningful piece of art.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

Glad over time your opinion seems to be more in the minority. It's not even close to the best IMO.

Bro, you're talking out of your ass. Where is this enormous resentment of TFA? Have the critics on Rotten Tomatoes rescinded their reviews?

Number 39

Fight Club (1999)

51 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 38.625)

fight_club-poster.jpg

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 4 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (26, -13), 2013 (18, -21), 2012 (18, -21)

Tomatometer: 79%

Box Office: 37.03m (62.47m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: A ticking-time-bomb insomniac and a slippery soap salesman channel primal male aggression into a shocking new form of therapy. Their concept catches on, with underground "fight clubs" forming in every town, until an eccentric gets in the way and ignites an out-of-control spiral toward oblivion.

Critic Opinion: "Indeed, in today’s gloomy, Palin obsessed media-cracy, a planet where information overload takes the place of rationality or true thought, Fight Club is more of a distant voice that a shouting street preacher. It still resonates in ways Palahnuik and Fincher can only imagine and truly helped redefine a demo in peril. But now, even in a fully fleshed out home video primer, it remains a lesson to be studied and learned, a series of lunatic lectures you either buy into, or berate as being out of touch and troubling. At its core, it can seem like sinew and sweat, testosterone and ‘roid rage rebellion. But inside of each one of these little boys lost is someone who has seen the systematic re-sensitizing of the father figure turn the powerful into the pathetic. As Tyler Durden says during one of the movie’s most memorable scenes, “If our father is our basis for God, and our fathers abandoned us, then what does that tell you about God?” In Fincher’s effective masterpiece, the answer is on every single frame. It’s up to you to find it." - Bill Gibron

User Opinion: "One of the best movies ever made and definitely Top 5 all time for me. Thrilling, engaging, mesmerising and fearless. That's pretty much what Fight Club is. And you can't help but notice how some of the ideas the film revolves around are just as fitting for today's society as they were back then. Maybe even more so.

It also displays one of the, if not the most memorable character ever created by Hollywood. Pitt's Tyler Durden is complex and charming and irresistible in that way that you cheer for him as hard as you can even if he's supposedly the bad guy at some point.

And then the movie ends and it leaves you wonder: What if...?" - James 

Personal Comment: I'll say, any pre-2000 movie (even if only by a single year) that manages to make James like it (as well as Lisa at that), and you know have something somewhat special, and Fight Club pulls off that something special.  Fight Club is the 13th movie from the 90s, tying the decade with the 2010s for the most movies of any decade on our countdown.  David Fincher's final appearance on our list is something of a fan favorite.  Fight Club never hit it big with the critics, nor did it score well with rewards, or did it make much more than a few bucks at the box office, but it has still somehow landed itself a place among talk about cinematic masterpieces and movies that stand the test of time.  The film manages to be poignant about the future, and it manages to be endlessly quotable, but have quotes that make you sit back for a moment and think.  Fight Club is the pure definition of a cult classic.

• Like 11

Number 38

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

51 Points (18 Votes, Avg Score 39.38)

eternal_sunshine_of_the_spotless_mind_ve

"What a loss to spend that much time with someone, only to find out that she's a stranger."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (63, +25), 2013 (60, +22), 2012 (46, +8)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 34.4m (47.53m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: A man, Joel Barish, heartbroken that his girlfriend Clementine underwent a procedure to erase him from her memory, decides to do the same. However, as he watches his memories of her fade away, he realizes that he still loves her, and may be too late to correct his mistake.

Critic Opinion: "It's so exhilarating to follow along as the film plays with these ideas that it's easy to forget that Eternal Sunshine ever moves outside Joel's head, though it spends quite a lot of time there. Some of this is quite brilliant, like the tiny moment nodding to people using Lacuna to forget children (I think) and lost pets, different traumas that the film acknowledges as equally hurtful to Joel's. Some of it is not; the subplots in which Stan is dating Lacuna's receptionist Mary (Kirsten Dunst), who has an obvious crush on company founder Dr. Mierzwiak (Tom Wilkinson), while Patrick is using his insider knowledge to date Clementine have always felt oddly lumpy to me, an attempt to do parallelism that the film doesn't require and can't do anything particularly useful with (I concede that this is not the consensus opinion). All of it is casual and roughly naturalistic, the better to counterpoint the abstract, imaginative, stylistically dizzy scenes inside of Joel's memories. That contrast between fantastic staging and realistic cinematography is the thing I always think of most about Eternal Sunshine; it is a movie that romanticises love and then views it with blunt clarity, and that mixture is exactly what helps the film to its ambiguously hopeful concluding thoughts." - Tim Brayton

User Opinion: "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

this was good" - lisa

Personal Comment: Coming in at number 38 is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all-time, this is one of those movies that works for me as therapy, and that is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  Sunshine is the 11th movie from the 2000s decade, putting the decade in second/third place for the decade with the most movies on the countdown.  This movie also managed to pull off a rare feat of getting all As from the review thread (with many votes) with the exception of one troll F vote from an account I've never seen before that didn't even want to muster the time to say why he committed blasphemy in saying this movie was anything less than fantastic and perfect on all accounts.  This movie is poignant about the cycle of relationships and it leaves something new for me to discover every time I watch it, it also manages to make me shed a tear and melt my heart every time I watch it.  Whenever I am feeling down about life or relationships, this is one of my go-to movies to watch, and I manage to come out feeling somewhat healed.

• Like 19

I'd also like to point out the scene I shared for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind is probably my favorite scene in film history.  Or at least right up there for it.

It's the part that makes me ball and contemplate life with just how vivid and beautifully executed it is.  Quite a marvel of a movie.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2