The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

I'm talking about what made the list. It's basically Pixar, Disney, and a couple of scraps for Ghibli.

What you see as "Pixar" I see as "John Lasseter", "Andrew Stanton", "Pete Docter", "Brad Bird", or "Lee Unkrich". What sets Pixar apart from others is they encourage unique voices in their works

Just now, tribefan695 said:

What you see as "Pixar" I see as "John Lasseter", "Andrew Stanton", "Pete Docter", "Brad Bird", or "Lee Unkrich". What sets Pixar apart from others is they encourage unique voices in their works

I see all of them sitting in a room together breaking down story notes. :)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I see all of them sitting in a room together breaking down story notes. :)

Well, yeah, but I'm sure Spielberg doesn't do it all on his own either. Even their not so great ideas like Cars still derive from very personal feelings and events. That's not something you can say as much about DreamWorks or Illumination or frankly Disney where the directors are usually just the main cogs in the machine

Edited by tribefan695

And you guys wonder why I make fun of you LOL you really do think that Pixar is just so perfect and charitable and encouraging and risky and heartfelt and puppy dogs and rainbows and DreamWorks and everyone else are all used car salesman quickly slapping together their latest Incarnation so they can make a quick Buck LOL you guys are hilarious.

• Like 4

You realize Toy Story is about a bunch of toys that talk to each other lol there's nothing revolutionary about that.

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

You realize Toy Story is about a bunch of toys that talk to each other lol there's nothing revolutionary about that.

Tell that to the people from 1995 who had never seen 3D computer animation. Or tell that to-YOU KNOW WHAT, we'll leave at that. You keep your Twilight and Bayformers, I keep my Pixar (so do a few other but I speak for myself), friends be friends here. :) 

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

37 minutes ago, Baumer said:

nothing really seems "revolutionary" if you denounce it like that lol. its much more than just "toys that talk to each other" :P

• Like 1

I'm not the biggest Toy Story franchise fan (I like it a great deal, but not top tier Pixar for me), but I can still recognize the first was very revolutionary in the industry.  It was the first fully CGI movie.  The tech that came about through it was a big deal.

It completely revolutionized the animation medium and it even had important implications for our CGI live action movies like Gravity, Avatar, and Jungle Book.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

And you guys wonder why I make fun of you LOL you really do think that Pixar is just so perfect and charitable and encouraging and risky and heartfelt and puppy dogs and rainbows and DreamWorks and everyone else are all used car salesman quickly slapping together their latest Incarnation so they can make a quick Buck LOL you guys are hilarious.

I didn't say that, bud. There are many DreamWorks and Disney films I really enjoy, but it's just a fact that their ideas are mostly conceived at the top, not the bottom. I grant Zootopia might be an exception judging from the documentary as it seems like a personal thing for Byron Howard

So is it really an animation thing with you or just Pixar? I've noticed the biggest defenders of other studios' animated movies around here are people who don't claim to be animation fans

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, The Panda said:

Number 29

Apocalypse Now (1979)

54 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 31.8824)

Poster%20-%20Apocalypse%20Now_01.jpg

"We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

Number 1 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 78.78m (269.31m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: At the height of the Vietnam war, experienced soldier and covert operative Captain Benjamin Willard withdraws from a drunken and disheveled state to accept his most daring and secretive mission yet. His objective is to travel down the Nyung river by boat and assassinate a Green Beret Colonel named Kurtz who has gone insane deep within the Jungle, and leads his men and a local tribe as a god on illegal guerrilla missions into enemy territory. As Willard and the crew of a Navy PR boat unaware of his objective embark on their journey from the security of civilization into the untamed depths of the jungle, Willard confronts not only the same horrors and hypocrisy that pushed the level headed Colonel Kurtz over the edge into an abyss of insanity, but the primal violence of human nature and the darkness of his own heart.

Critic Opinion: "It is the French plantation sequence that gives me the most pause. It is long enough, I think, that is distracts from the overall arc of the movie. The river journey sets the rhythm of the film, and too much time on the banks interrupts it (there is the same problem with the feuding families in Huckleberry Finn). Yet the sequence is effective and provoking (despite the inappropriate music during the love scene). It helps me to understand it when Coppola explains that he sees the French like ghosts; I questioned how they had survived in their little enclave, and accept his feeling that their spirits survive as a cautionary specter for the Americans.

Longer or shorter, redux or not, "Apocalypse Now" is one of the central events of my life as a filmgoer. To have it in this beautiful print is a luxury. This new version will make its way to DVD and be welcome there, but the place to see it is in a movie theater, sitting not too far back, your eyes and ears filled with its haunting vision. Now this is a movie." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "Monumental cinema. Coppola's greatest achievement and probably one of the four or five greatest films I've ever seen. Was in awe from the first minute to the last. Oh, and Vittorio Storaro is a God among cinematographers." - Jake Gittes

Personal Comment: We finally break our Pixar streak in order to include one of the great Coppola films, Apocalypse Now.  Apocalypse Now is the 6th movie from the 1970s decade, which doesn't change the ranking any, but it does give the pre-80s movies a shot of at least matching the top decade for the countdown.  There are few films that manage to be so beloved that it becomes blasphemy to say anything against them, and Apocalypse Now is one of those movies.  Apocalypse Now manages to provide entertainment, but then be a sharp criticism of the era it was made in.  The movie is gorgeously taught and intelligently told, there are few movies that are able to match it.

Needs to be number 1.

I was fascinated by the Jarhead's anecdote about Apocalypse Now, which is probably true.

The fact that such an anti war movie has the most fist bumping bro, let s go to WAR fuck yeah scene in movie history.

I blame WAGNER and Adolf Hitler (who was the biggest Wagner fan and used to dream of conquering the world while listneing to Wanger s music)

i must admit im really surprised these movies missed the list: rope, the fly, monsters inc, All About Eve, Rosemary's Baby, Oldboy and even though I don't love it, Drive.

but maybe i'm mistaken, could someone post the full list? Plus, does anyone have the threads for previous countdowns? I can't find them.

2 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

i must admit im really surprised these movies missed the list: 1. rope, 2. the fly, 3. monsters inc, 4. All About Eve, 5. Rosemary's Baby, 6. Oldboy and even though I don't love it, 7. Drive.

but maybe i'm mistaken, could someone post the full list? Plus, does anyone have the threads for previous countdowns? I can't find them.

1. Too old, no one's seen it

2. Too old, no one's seen it (plus, gross)

3. Ya got me there, I guess one or two Pixars get dumped

4. Too old, no one's seen it

5. Too old, no one's seen it

6. Too foreign

7. Too arty

(tongue firmly in cheek)

• Like 12

Just now, JohnnY said:

i must admit im really surprised these movies missed the list: rope, the fly, monsters inc, All About Eve, Rosemary's Baby, Oldboy and even though I don't love it, Drive.

Wait... Monster's Inc. Hasn't show up...

:kitschjob:

10 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

The absence of foreign movies in this list is quite the heartbreaker though :(

But not terribly surprising. Even a film fan like me who seeks out foreign films doesn't have many on my list (A separation, Amour and Life is Beautiful are the only ones from mine if I remember right.) Similar to the too many blockbusters complaint foreign films aren't watched by a wide enough group on here to make the cut.