The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Just now, cannastop said:
  Hide contents

Prepare to have your hopes dashed lol.

Oh I know.... Inside Out is fine and good - it made my top 100 but still it needs time to sink in and still exist on lists like this in 25 years ;)

Number 44

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

46 Points (15 Votes, Avg Score 38.4667)

star-wars-force-awakens-official-poster.

"That's not how the Force works!"

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 92%

Box Office: 936.54m (927.56m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 5 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: 30 years after the defeat of Darth Vader and the Empire, Rey, a scavenger from the planet Jakku, finds a BB-8 droid that knows the whereabouts of the long lost Luke Skywalker. Rey, as well as a rogue stormtrooper and two smugglers, are thrown into the middle of a battle between the Resistance and the daunting legions of the First Order.

Critic Opinion: "More than this you don’t want to know going in, but I’ll leave you with three final thoughts: The humour is great, especially Solo’s sarcastic jabs; there’s welcome diversity to the cast, especially the strong female roles; and there are no annoying characters like Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks who exist merely to sell toys.  What more could you ask for from a Star Wars movie, or indeed from any blockbuster?" - Peter Howell

User Opinion: "I loved it so much. It started to build the universe for the trilogy I love the new characters. Finn is such a great character, plus John Boyega does a great job. Such great charisma. Daisy riddler is brilliant there is a lot of mystery with her character. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is amazing. Poe is great and I wish he was in there more. The story is engaging, fun, the humor works. It does come across as a New Hope 2.0 but it works so well. Only complaints I had about the movie is Captain Phasma is kinda a waste of character. She served little purpose in the movie. I excited to see Luke and Snoke more in the sequel. So many questions left to be answered. " - Dexter of Suburbia

Personal Comment: Star Wars makes its way back onto the list with the second film to make the countdown, and the biggest film of all time domestically, the Force Awakens.  The Force Awakens moves the 2010s decade up to 12 movies putting it back into the lead on our decades countdown, and the movie is also the only one to adjust to less than what its actual total is (at least according to Box Office Mojo).  Although it may be controversial for this movie to be so high on the list and be so recent, I personally think it is more than deserving as it was a glorious return of a glorious franchise.  The film had a lot on its plate, it needed to prove that it could still be the same Star Wars without Lucas, but then also create its own legacy.  It needed to set itself as its own unique entity, but at the same time it needed to provide service and throwback to the fans ready to torch it if it weren't delivered.  It was nearly impossible for this movie to please everyone given the wild expectations and hype beyond imagination, but somehow it managed to pull off the impossible and at least (somewhat) please nearly everyone.  While the movie was still subject to criticism from those who just like to complain about popular things, it doesn't change the fact that JJ and Disney pulled off something very special with this one.

https://youtu.be/rWF0f183tSA

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 14

On 5/20/2016 at 3:35 PM, 4815162342 said:

It's current format is not cinema friendly. A lot of the staging and style would need to be reworked.

I'm definitely aware of that, which is why Coogler's adaptation would be fascinating to me

MORE THOUGHTS

THe Social Network is great yay

Gravity is a magnificent achievement

Ratatouille is great too!!

I can't say anything about The Wizard of Oz. It's the Wizard of Oz

Citizen Kane is great fuck you baumer :)

The Truman Show is my #1 soooo wish it was higher but happy it's here. Tele, I had Dead Poets on my list too tho, so no blame me

Beauty and the Beast is okay

Fargo is really good glad I finally watched it recently

Also, Inside Out is too recent for this list. Will be up super high for me next year but this year, wasn't touching my top 100

• Like 2

Number 43

Seven Samurai (Sichinin No Samurai) (1954)

47 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 34.5385)

MPW-3125

"This is the nature of war: By protecting others, you save yourselves. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 4 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 100%

Box Office: N/A

Most Notable Awards Recognition: 2 Oscar Nominations

IMDb Synopsis: A veteran samurai, who has fallen on hard times, answers a village's request for protection from bandits. He gathers 6 other samurai to help him, and they teach the townspeople how to defend themselves, and they supply the samurai with three small meals a day. The film culminates in a giant battle when 40 bandits attack the village.

Critic Opinion: "In many ways, Seven Samurai is defined by its style. Kurosawa doesn't just set marks and coach actors; he composes scenes. Despite its drawbacks (a lack of "three dimensionality"), he frequently uses the "deep focus" camera technique to keep everyone in focus, regardless of their distance from the lens. He rarely resorts to close-ups, and, when he does, there's a specific reason. His battle scenes are realistic, but not confusing. Whenever possible, he captures the seven samurai in the same shot. (This is emphasized at the end, when the survivors are shown in the same frame as the graves of the dead.) On more than one occasion, he shoots figures silhouetted against the horizon.

Over the span of his career, Kurosawa made so many great films that it can be difficult to determine which is his best. For most critics, the finalists would be Rashomon and Seven Samurai – films with more differences than similarities. Rashomon is the more thought-provoking of the two, but Seven Samurai is a grand epic – a big, splashy motion picture that runs well over three hours and never flags. The intermission is almost superfluous; we are so caught up in the story that, by the time it arrives, it's more of a nuisance than a welcome break. Seven Samurai has the kind of momentum that many long movies lack. Despite its length, it is a perfect example of economy – there isn't a single wasted shot. Seven Samurai is an unforgettable masterpiece – the work of one of the world's greatest filmmakers at the height of his powers." - James Berardinelli

User Opinion: "One of my all-time favorites. It's very long but for the most part doesn't feel that slow. It's got great iconic characters and has been ridiculously influential on the action/adventure genre. Often imitated, homaged, ripped off, and paid tribute to, but never equalled." - Telemachos

Personal Comment: Seven Samurai comes in as one of the only foreign films to make the countdown, it's also one of the most epic war movies ever made (and it was made in those ancient days of the 1950s, would you look at that, James?).  Seven Samurai is the 4th movie on our countdown to come from the 1950s decade.  There are many movies that influence genres and the style of how movies are made, but few are as influential as Seven Samurai has been on the film industry.  So many of our modern adventure and action movies copy, borrow, and steal from the format put down by this one, and few ever reach the heights that Seven Samurai manages to reach in epic length of a film.

• Like 17

Number 42

Toy Story 2 (1999)

47 Points (19 Votes, Avg Score 44.7895)

MV5BMTQ0OTU0NTcyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk5

"You never forget kids like Emily, or Andy, but they forget you."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (30, -12), 2013 (71, +29), 2012 (73, +32)

Box Office: 245.85m (410.44m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: While Andy is away at summer camp Woody has been toynapped by Al McWiggin, a greedy collector and proprietor of "Al's Toy Barn"! In this all-out rescue mission, Buzz and his friends Mr. Potato Head, Slinky Dog, Rex and Hamm springs into action to rescue Woody from winding up as a museum piece. They must find a way to save him before he gets sold in Japan forever and they'll never see him again!

Critic Opinion: "The whole endeavor is best summed up by a brief scene between Al and toy restorer Geri the Cleaner (Jonathan Harris), who crosses over from the Pixar short "Geri's Game." Impatient, Al sputters, "How long is this going to take?" Geri replies, "You can't rush art." Pixar's bliss in art and play is part and parcel of both the creation and the meaning of Toy Story 2, a celebration of the pure joy of doing." - Pete Canavese

User Opinion: "I love it the same as everyone else.

I think this was the movie where Pixar finally found their visual identity. The first TS and A Bug's Life are marked by a bunch of visual inconsistencies in retrospect, whereas this movie remains pretty fluid throughout. Pretty amazing that they did this all in a year." - tribefan695

Personal Comment: Toy Story 2 comes onto our list as the third Pixar film to make the countdown and the 6th animation to make the countdown, with many more to come (sorry Baumer).  While this is sometimes seen as the middle child of the Toy Story trilogy, it is fair to say that the film is just as a beloved as the film that came before it and the film that came after.  The movie transitions through the overall arc of the trilogy nicely and is all-around a film with little to no flaws to be seen.

• Like 18

Number 41

Rear Window (1954)

50 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 35.2857)

RearWindow1.jpg

"Intelligence. Nothing has caused the human race so much trouble as intelligence."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 4 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (45, +4), 2013 (20, -21), 2012 (72, +31)

Box Office: 26.11m (404.79m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 4 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Professional photographer L.B. "Jeff" Jeffries breaks his leg while getting an action shot at an auto race. Confined to his New York apartment, he spends his time looking out of the rear window observing the neighbors. He begins to suspect that a man across the courtyard may have murdered his wife. Jeff enlists the help of his high society fashion-consultant girlfriend Lisa Freemont and his visiting nurse Stella to investigate.

Critic Opinion: "A new 35 mm restoration of Rear Window is as good a reason as any to rerelease Alfred Hitchcock’s 1954 masterpiece of voyeurism. Images of L.B. ”Jeff” Jefferies (James Stewart), the wheelchair-bound news photographer who escapes the boredom of a broken leg and the demands for intimacy by a marriage-minded girlfriend (Grace Kelly) by spying on his neighbors, may already feel warmly familiar. But visual details – the newly vibrant bloodred intensity of the sunset, the striking Nile green of Miss Lonelyheart’s dress, the bandbox freshness of Kelly’s costumes by Edith Head – give the movie a sharpness that underscores the whole subtext of moviegoers as voyeurs, too.

”We’ve become a race of Peeping Toms,” says the shut-in’s extremely practical nurse, Stella (Thelma Ritter, her every line a chili pepper of stinging wisdom), as she tries to straighten out Jeff’s priorities as crisply as she slaps on liniment during a rubdown: Be yourself, dig the one who digs you, quit sitting in the dark conjecturing about other people’s private lives and overanalyzing your own. As you sit in the dark watching a debrided Rear Window (restored by Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz, who also revivified Vertigo and Lawrence of Arabia), these stark suggestions and implications come through with flying colors." - Lisa Schwarzbaum

User Opinion: "my favorite Hitchcock so far and possibly one of the best films I have ever watched.

Hitchcock biggest strength are the characters, Jeff and Lisa relationship is what makes the movie so great imo. He understands what makes an interesting and likeable character, he understands the human nature. And they still are compelling even afer 60 years." - Goffe

Personal Comment: Alfred Hitchcock and James Stewart grace our list one more time with the masterpiece, Rear Window.  Rear Window is the 5th film from the 1950s, moving the decade up a bit more than from where it was sitting before.  Rear Window is arguably one of Hitchcock's most conventional and accessible films for a modern audience, so in a way that helps make sense for why it manages to place to highly on our list.  The movie manages to fill you with all sorts of emotions no matter how many times you watch it, and it has left a mark as a favorite among Hitchcock's wide and deep repertoire of films.

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

MJ2's adjuster does the same, maybe its just the late 2015 movies

Mojo simply adjusts by year, so right now every 2015 film adjusts downwards, but this should be temporary until there are new numbers for the 2016 average price. 

• Like 1