The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 9

The Dark Knight (2008)

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (2, -7), 2013 (3, -6), 2012 (7, -2)

We got it out of the Top 5. Next time we get it out of the Top 10.

• Like 4

Schindler's List was one of the toughest films I ever sat through....completely drained me.  Spielberg has no equal imo,not even the false Gods that are worshiped here.  He is a film maker like no other and when you can do Jurassic Park and Schindler's List in the same year, how do you argue against him being the GOAT?

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Schindler's List was one of the toughest films I ever sat through....completely drained me.  Spielberg has no equal imo,not even the false Gods that are worshiped here.  He is a film maker like no other and when you can do Jurassic Park and Schindler's List in the same year, how do you argue against him being the GOAT?

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Number 8

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003)

99 Points (29 Votes, Avg Score 34.45)

The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Return-of-the-

"I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!"

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 7 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (4, -4), 2013 (15, +7), 2012 (9, +1)

Tomatometer: 95%

Box Office: 377.03m (528m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 11 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: While Frodo & Sam continue to approach Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring, unaware of the path Gollum is leading them, the former Fellowship aid Rohan & Gondor in a great battle in the Pelennor Fields, Minas Tirith and the Black Gates as Sauron wages his last war against Middle-earth.

Critic Opinion: "Jackson's spare use of dialogue also lends proceedings an aura of mystery - unlike The Matrix, where everything felt the need to be explained with the thoroughness of A-level cramming notes.  And let's not forget that LOTR started out as a trilogy and didn't have the sequels bolted on afterwards at the whim of the studio accounts department.  Just 13 months in Tolkien time but seven years in the making, LOTR has racked up a bum-aching nine hours and 20 minutes to tell its story.  But what a story. The action adventure against which all others will be measured." - Tim Evans

User Opinion: "The best of the LOTR trilogy in my opinion, such an amazing movie. Absolutely amazing battles and the climax in Mount Doom is perfect in my opinion. The extended ending is perfectly in line with the book and I thought it was very brave of Peter Jackson to keep it like that. Perfect for the story. There are a few minor quibbles that keep this from getting an A+, the Paths of the Dead, everything involving Faramir and Arwen's initial journey to the Grey Havens." - Ariadne

Personal Comment: Peter Jackson and The Lord of the Rings trilogy make another appearance with the climatic ending to the saga, The Return of the King.  The Return of the King is the 17th movie from the 2000s decade to make the countdown, putting the decade in second place for most movies on our countdown.  This movie may be best known for it being a never-ending ending, but that doesn't change the fact that nearly everyone watching it doesn't want it to end anyways.  The battles are of epic proportions, the film has the most emotional heft of all three films, and there is a grand satisfaction that is had when the purpose of the Fellowship is finally accomplished.  This movie, and the saga in general, are the definition of an epic.

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

We got it out of the Top 5. Next time we get it out of the Top 10.

Next time I'm voting and putting it back in the top 5

• Like 4

Number 7

Interstellar (2014)

104 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 22.79)

latest?cb=20141003183016

"We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars. Now we just look down, and worry about our place in the dirt."

Top 10 Placements: 9 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 71% (But certified fresh, making it better reviewed than Forrest Gump)

Box Office: 188.02m (194.68m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: In the near future, Earth has been devastated by drought and famine, causing a scarcity in food and extreme changes in climate. When humanity is facing extinction, a mysterious rip in the space-time continuum is discovered, giving mankind the opportunity to widen its lifespan. A group of explorers must travel beyond our solar system in search of a planet that can sustain life. The crew of the Endurance are required to think bigger and go further than any human in history as they embark on an interstellar voyage into the unknown. Coop, the pilot of the Endurance, must decide between seeing his children again and the future of the human race.

Critic Opinion: "This is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen." - Richard Roeper (Real quote from a real top critic)

User Opinion: "B+" - MrPink

Personal Comment: Don't get mad, I tried to prepare everybody for it.  I put constant hints throughout this list that Interstellar was in fact going to end up making the list so it wouldn't come as to much of a shock.  I tried, I really did, but the Nolanites are in fact still very much a presence on this forum.  Interstellar is the fourth movie from Christopher Nolan to make the list, putting him 2 short of Steven Spielberg for the top spot directing wise.  You can breathe a sigh of relief though, The Dark Knight Rises missed the list, so at least the worst Nolan movie didn't make it.  I guess I should say that I do in fact really love Interstellar, in fact it was number 101 on my list, a just miss for me.  The movie is an absolute beauty and mind trip that inspires you about the future of mankind and what we can do to fix the present.  While many may say this is Nolan's weakest work, many said the same thing about The Shining and 2001 for Kubrick, in fact (by consensus of this forum) this truly Nolan's best movie.  If only it didn't bomb at the box office, because I was really counting on it to make 500m Domestic based on my historic failure of a club.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Next time I'm voting and putting it back in the top 5

I'm putting it in my top 5 next time.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Edited by Goffe

13 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 7

Interstellar (2014)

104 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 22.79)

latest?cb=20141003183016

"We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars. Now we just look down, and worry about our place in the dirt."

Top 10 Placements: 9 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 71% (But certified fresh, making it better reviewed than Forrest Gump)

Box Office: 188.02m (194.68m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: In the near future, Earth has been devastated by drought and famine, causing a scarcity in food and extreme changes in climate. When humanity is facing extinction, a mysterious rip in the space-time continuum is discovered, giving mankind the opportunity to widen its lifespan. A group of explorers must travel beyond our solar system in search of a planet that can sustain life. The crew of the Endurance are required to think bigger and go further than any human in history as they embark on an interstellar voyage into the unknown. Coop, the pilot of the Endurance, must decide between seeing his children again and the future of the human race.

Critic Opinion: "This is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen." - Richard Roeper (Real quote from a real top critic)

User Opinion: "B+" - MrPink

Personal Comment: Don't get mad, I tried to prepare everybody for it.  I put constant hints throughout this list that Interstellar was in fact going to end up making the list so it wouldn't come as to much of a shock.  I tried, I really did, but the Nolanites are in fact still very much a presence on this forum.  Interstellar is the fourth movie from Christopher Nolan to make the list, putting him 2 short of Steven Spielberg for the top spot directing wise.  You can breathe a sigh of relief though, The Dark Knight Rises missed the list, so at least the worst Nolan movie didn't make it.  I guess I should say that I do in fact really love Interstellar, in fact it was number 101 on my list, a just miss for me.  The movie is an absolute beauty and mind trip that inspires you about the future of mankind and what we can do to fix the present.  While many may say this is Nolan's weakest work, many said the same thing about The Shining and 2001 for Kubrick, in fact (by consensus of this forum) this truly Nolan's best movie.  If only it didn't bomb at the box office, because I was really counting on it to make 500m Domestic based on my historic failure of a club.

so interstellar makes it in the top 10 but catching fire doesn't make the top 100

tumblr_inline_nvkpqy5pR81t3qylm_500.gif

Interstellar is fake, if it were real that would mean that one of 12 Angry Men, Fellowship, The Godfather, Star Wars, ESB, Raiders or Pulp Fiction missed, which is not happening.

• Like 4